It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Will I ever get an answer!? Swollen neck!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
    Kanderson14
    (female)

Kanderson14 HB User
    Red face Will I ever get an answer!? Swollen neck!

31 yr old female.
    I have had chronic neck swelling for 3 months..
    I've had X-rays done, all blood work done, an ultrasound to look at my thyroid as
    Well as blood work. I've seen an endocrinologist and so many doctors i can't even tell you!
    My symptoms are easy, my neck is swollen, warm to the touch and sore the touch. (scm muscle) it's not my nodes
    Sometimes I have trouble swallowing. It feels like someone shoved cotton balls into the outter part of my throat muscles. My ears click when I swallow as well.
    All of my tests are normal, I do have an appt with an ENT doc soon.
    I do clear my throat and make that sound like I'm going to spit. Everything else I feel is unrelated, of course I have anxiety about it sometimes and I already have high bp.
    I do smoke and worry worry about the worst!
    The endo doc did suggest I had silent reflux. I was on meds for a month and changed my diet (limited smoking) and saw no difference.
    Has anyone had this and what was your diagnosis!?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Will I ever get an answer!? Swollen neck!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kanderson14 View Post
    I do smoke and worry worry about the worst!
    The endo doc did suggest I had silent reflux. I was on meds for a month and changed my diet (limited smoking) and saw no difference.
    How much did you limit your smoking? If you're really worried about the worst, this should serve as an incentive to stop smoking completely.

In what way did you change your diet? Did you avoid acidic foods? Most processed foods, like pizza and soda etc. are highly acidic (i.e. junk food). Even coffee, alcohol and/or overeating can cause silent reflux.

If not reflux, it may be a bad case of inflammation. I would suggest you stop smoking completely and double check your dietary habits.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
    Kanderson14
    (female)

Kanderson14 HB User

Thanks for your reply.
    I was down to 1 cigarette like every day or even longer. I weigh less than 120 lbs and am a dance teacher and normally eat healthy. I never have had a taste for pop. My only vice beyond smoking is spicy food and tomatoes (homemade salsa) and Italian style salad dressing.
    I pretty much stopped eating that stuff for over a month. I did still drink one cup of coffee a day. I was told by my doc that was okay.. I was on a prescription version of a potent Prilosec (forgot the name)
    The countless doctors I've seen have confidently ruled out something serious based my blood tests, X-rays and ultrasounds. I was also on a high dose of prednisone for 2 months to help with 'inflammation' and it made matters worse.
    I've had a massage thinking it was muscle related but alas still a problem.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kanderson14 View Post
    My symptoms are easy, my neck is swollen, warm to the touch and sore the touch. (scm muscle) it's not my nodes.
    You mentioned "scm muscle" so I'm wondering if a neck strain or sprain has been ruled out. I'm thinking that certain dance styles may require quick head movements.

Could you have gotten whiplash in a car accident? Any sudden movement, like falling down, might cause a problem.

Closed Thread

Tags
    neck pain, throat clearing, throat swelling