It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsillectomy Post-Op Questions

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
    dk774
    (female)

dk774 HB User
    Smile Tonsillectomy Post-Op Questions

Right now I'm post-op day 7 of a tonsillectomy as I had the surgery on August 18th. I'm a teen and I'm not going to lie, it's been hell and I've had some emotional moments where I just cry about wanting to be done with this. The first day there wasn't much pain, but then it started to increase as did earaches. So far all I've been able to eat are noodles, pudding, and yogurt. I'm just wondering when I can start to enjoy food again? I will NOT take food for granted, all I've wanted is Pizza Hut and their garlic parmesan chicken wings. Or Chinese food. But anyway, when can I start introducing food to my new throat? When can I expect my scabs to start coming off and how will I know they came off? And one last thing, I start school on the 31st, which is 13 days post-op, Friday September 2nd is my check up appointment. Should I expect any nausea when I'm back in school? I've read that when people go out or to work they vomit in a few hours and I do not want to do that at school. Thanks so much to anyone who helps!

Last edited by Administrator; 08-27-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy Post-Op Questions

At day seven you should be feeling better. Try introducing new foods...chinese food is soft, some of it- give it a try! Your scabs are probably already falling off, you wont know when it happens..you should be healing by now.

Follow your doctors instructions for pain meds...again by now, I would think Tylenol or something over the counter should do it for you. If you are still having that much pain, you need to call your doctor and move up your follow up.

You will not throw up when you get to school. Put that out of your head or you will talk yourself into being sick. I went back to work 5 days after my tonsillectomy and was absolutely fine. Yes, my throat wasnt ready to chew a big steak until week 2, but I was eating soft things like tuna and turkey.

Hang in there and please believe me, the throat heals very quickly. From a sugical point of view at week 2 you should be very much starting to heal.

MSNik

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    dk774 (08-27-2016)
    Reply Reply

Tags
    tonsillectomy, tonsillectomy recovery, tonsillectomy scabs