It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

Diarrhea After Tonsillectomy?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
dk774
(female)

dk774 HB User
Post Diarrhea After Tonsillectomy?

Hello, I hate to be graphic but I have an embarrassing question.

Is diarrhea after a tonsillectomy normal?

I'm now 10 days post-op of a tonsillectomy, 3 days of which I have stopped using Percocet. However, even though I've been slightly constipated during the use of these painkillers, as of the last 2 days I've had diarrhea. It's mostly watery and it is foul smelling but I want to be sure this is normal. I know this is a sign of infection but I've looked at my throat and it looks absolutely fine, and I do not have a fever. Could it also be because I've weaned off Percocet and am trying to flush out whatever I was constipated with? I'm just shy of a month of turning 16 so I'm not necessarily going through an adult recovery.

I just want to know if this is normal or if I should have my mother call the doctor. This is very embarrassing for me and I hate having to use an air freshener every time I leave the bathroom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Diarrhea After Tonsillectomy?

Hi...were you on antibiotics before or after your surgery?

What you should do is ask the doctor do give you a stool sample kit for testing to rule out that you havent got an invader or overgrowth of c.difficile, etc.

I don't think it would be from being off the percocet....you mention constipation...did you have it before the surgery?

Are you eating foods that might quicken the digestive tract or using artificial sweeteners?

q

Last edited by quincy; 08-28-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
dk774
(female)

dk774 HB User

Hi,

I wasn't constipated before the surgery and I was not on antibiotics before the surgery. I'm beginning to eat normally, but I have consumed a lot of dairy and sometimes when that happens I usually have to make a trip to the bathroom.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi..so no antibiotics after surgery?
If not, seems you have solved the issue.

q

Old 08-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
dk774
(female)

dk774 HB User

Well I was on Percocet after the surgery, but I stopped three days ago as I haven't needed it. I just don't want to call my doctor right away if it's a side effect of discontinuing Percocet.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

It "might" be, but you weren't on it for very long. If you are eating more dairy products than usual while being more constipated, then it might have put your gastro tract in a higher gear than if you weren't consuming dairy products...therefore, not as noticeable.
I wouldn't say it's a must to call the doctor unless you're going excessive times in a day and with extreme urgency or cannot hold it.

You could take probiotics...they can sometimes help even the gut flora after being constipated or eating stuff the gut doesn't really like.

If you are really worried, however, do call the doctor and present it to him that these are symptoms you're having. Nothing to be embarrassed about because it's something that's new to you, after surgery, and after taking a narcotic medication. Please let me know what the doc suggests and how you're doing.

Forgot to ask if you are getting worse with the diarrhea or the same? and how often?

q

Last edited by quincy; 08-28-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
diarrhea, tonsillectomy, tonsillectomy advice, tonsillectomy post op