It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

Tonsillectomy for my big,painful tonsil

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
carrie1bigtonsi
(female)

carrie1bigtonsi HB User
Tonsillectomy for my big,painful tonsil

Hi all

I am due to have a tonsillectomy next month as I have 1 large tonsil which is causing me so many problems. It is not infected, but it is much bigger than my left tonsil and I can 'feel' it constantly. Feels like I'm kinda choking slightly all the time. It is a weird shape too. On top of this, my ear, jaw and neck constantly ache from the size of the tonsil and of course I am freaking out thinking it could be C.

The ENT surgeon said he thought it 'highly unlikely' that it is anything sinister as the tissue appears normal, but will send my tonsils off for histology once removed.

I am so scared. I am scared of the operation, (never had GA before, prone to panic attacks, and have a fear of being sick) I am also scared of the recovery, how awful it will be, and to top it all off, I am petrified of what the histology will show.

I actually should have had my operation last week but I cancelled due to nerves. Silly, right? Considering i'm worried about cancer...but then I am a huge baby.

Has anyone had similar symptoms to mine and had their tonsils removed?
Does anybody want to be my tonsillectomy buddy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
Savvannah17
(female)

Savvannah17 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy for my big,painful tonsil

I just had my tonsils and adenoids removed on the sixth. I was so terrified of the General anesthetic but it was a walk in the park. I was really nauseas when I woke..but some meds helped that quickly. So far the pain has been..horrible. However, I'm trying to stay optimistic about the future!

Old 12-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
Jsr94
(female)

Jsr94 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy for my big,painful tonsil

Hey there-
I just had my tonsil out on Dec 2, and truthfully the experience isn't as bad as i had read about. The key is to keep hydrated! I'm sure you've read that a million times, but truthfully I think that was one of the best things. The first few nights I had my alarm set ever 30 min to drink something, even through the night. I also had a humidifier blowing on my at all times for the first week and now only use it when I'm sleeping.
For the first week I slept sitting up on the couch, which was truthfully fine, but let me tell you it was great getting back to sleeping in my bed.
Listen to whatever your doctor tells you and you'll be fine! Best of luck!!

Reply Reply