It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• something that is not a tonsil stone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
    aphid
    (female)

aphid HB User
    something that is not a tonsil stone

Hi! I have a small hole in my left tonsil that forms tonsil stones. I have a small vertical fold on my right tonsil, and sometimes tonsil stones hide behind the fold.

I flush my tonsils regularly with a stream of water, and that seems to keep the tonsil stones in check. They're never very large, and they don't have a very bad odor, probably because they're not in there long enough to really "go bad" before I flush them out.

However, on my left tonsil, a few millimeters away from the hole where stones develop, there is a spot that, when pressed, exudes a light yellow liquid. It's not lumpy, it's not bloody, it sort of looks like runny vanilla pudding (sorry!). Tastes salty. It's been like this every day for many months. I wake up in the morning, taste something salty, and go into the bathroom and press the liquid out, rinse my mouth, and then it's gone until the next day.

Could this be lymph fluid? Is it okay that it's leaking from my tonsil?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: something that is not a tonsil stone

It sounds like some sort of cyst to me, and the draining is infection, pus. I think you may need some antibiotics but of course I don't' know for sure. Can you make an appointment with your primary doctor or ear nose and throat doctor?

Old 09-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
    aphid
    (female)

aphid HB User

I do have an ENT doctor. I'll probably be seeing him sometime this year or early next year for my tracheal stenosis.

The thing is, and I know this sounds suspect, but I've never had a bacterial infection in my life... no UTI's or bladder infections or strep or even childhood ear infections. I've never even had a cut get infected, be it hangnail or dog bite. So, as far as I know, I've never made pus!

But the pus that I've seen at the veterinary clinic where I worked -- exudate from puncture wounds and so on -- seems darker yellow and thicker than what's coming from my tonsil. That's why I wondered if it might be lymph fluid, since I've never actually seen lymph fluid. (Although now after typing that, I realize that dog and cat pus might not look the same as human pus!)

Ugh, this is way too many instances of the word "pus" in one post. Sorry to anyone who's reading! And thank you, Sweet Potato, for your reply!

Old 09-27-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
    aphid
    (female)

aphid HB User

One other detail that I should share is that, from some scattered, random Googling about tonsils and lymph, I think I learned that if you have asymmetrical tonsils (which I do), and if you start sweating from your head and neck (which I recently have), then you could have lymphatic cancer or lymphoma.

But... I really don't think I have cancer. I have another explanation in mind for the sudden head sweating (I posted about it elsewhere on this site), and I think my tonsils might be asymmetrical from all the poking I used to do before I figured out how to use a stream of water to dislodge the tonsil stones.

So this would be a classic situation where a person "googles" their symptoms and becomes convinced that they have cancer! My credibility is already on thin ice with my doctors because I have lots of weird health problems, so if I told them that I think I have lymphatic cancer, they'd tattoo "hypochondriac" on my forehead!

Closed Thread