It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• One sided Nasal Blockage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2016, 01:39 AM   #1
    vikingsconquest
    (female)

vikingsconquest HB User
    One sided Nasal Blockage

I have had chronic sinusitis on one side for 3 years.

Background: I had a surgery to correct a severe deviated septum with turbinate reduction 10 years ago, and it was more or less successful.

I was lucky in that I had a great surgeon, but I didn't take his advice to rest and take 2 weeks off of work. I was concerned at the time because around 5 months after the surgery I had some tingling and irritation on the right upper side of my sinus, just under the bridge of my nose.

The pain and discomfort went away, but then 3 years ago it returned, a lot worse. I lived with the blockage and constant 24/7 discomfort for 1 1/2 years, when I decided to get it checked out. It took me several months to convince my primary to give me a referral. Then the fun began.

I went in to see the first ENT at a local clinic (the only one for 100 miles, I live in a rural area) and he dismissively told me to use nasal spray and asked me if it was seasonal: I said no, and that I had not only been using OTC nasal sprays regularly, but that I had a prescribed steroid spray, and the condition was still chronic. He did indicate that he might prescribe a cat scan and that the turbinates can actually grow back. I called this private clinic after that to follow up, and I left several messages and never heard back. So after 2 months or so ( I had been suffering now daily for 2 years) I found out that there was no other ENT group within 100 miles. So reluctantly I called the same group back and asked to see another doctor.

The second one was more or less the same: indifferent and said : use nasal spray, use a neti , and gave me a sample of a simple anti-histamine. This other doctor did a more thorough examination and mentioned a lot of ear wax in one ear, but made no suggestions. The he left.

About 6 months after that, I ended up with pulsating tinnitus and ended up in a local free clinic urgent care same day, where they had to syringe out my ear for at least 15 minutes.

It turns out that this private ENT group are primarily cosmetic plastic surgeons. On top of that I have medicare disability, and have to say that it is very apparent that if they aren't making loads of money for an elective nip tuck, these specific doctors can not be bothered. Their mentality is clear: they only get paid $200.00 for a 15 minute consultation, and with medicare, half is written off, so they only make $100.00 for 15 minutes. Roughly before overhead, $400.00 to $600.00 an hour. And that is nothing compared to $10,000.00 an hour for a rhinoplasty. $1000.00 an hour for these people is, apparently to them, chump change

At this point I am getting frustrated. I don't want to go back to those specific doctors. My condition has worsened and I have spot bleeding from the right sinus. I can not breathe properly at night, and it is disturbing my sleep ongoing as I wake up constantly from being forced to breathe through my mouth.

Last edited by vikingsconquest; 10-30-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: punctuation, specification

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    plastic surgery, sinus issues