It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2016, 02:48 AM   #1
    VikkiWar
    (female)

VikkiWar HB User
    Tonsillectomy

I had my tonsils removed a week ago now. A very long week ago. I feel like iv made no progress at all. Apart from the pain of swallowing, I have major pain in my tongue, teeth and ears. They seem more active at night time and mornings but the pain is unbearable, I'm taking morphine at moment but feel like it's not doing anything but moving the pain from one spot to another. Any more than a couple of bites of food doesn't appeal as it's just to painful to have anything even soft and liquids.
    I feel majorly on my own and trapped and wish I never had it done. Just wanted to see if there was anyone else out there who could share stories and help each other with tips or even a bit of a pep talk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2016, 03:15 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy

VikkiWar,
    I had a tonsillectomy as an adult and it was pretty bad pain..possibly some of the worst pain I have ever felt post-op. But, one day I woke up and it was gone! I have never had a sore throat again! Get through the healing and you will be glad you had this done...
    Has anyone told you to use any kind of numbing spray? It really helps! You might call your doctor and talk to them about your pain levels. Morphine isnt the kind of drug you want to be on long term...
    I hope you feel better soon.
    MSNik

Old 11-15-2016, 03:35 AM   #3
    VikkiWar
    (female)

VikkiWar HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    VikkiWar,
    I had a tonsillectomy as an adult and it was pretty bad pain..possibly some of the worst pain I have ever felt post-op. But, one day I woke up and it was gone! I have never had a sore throat again! Get through the healing and you will be glad you had this done...
    Has anyone told you to use any kind of numbing spray? It really helps! You might call your doctor and talk to them about your pain levels. Morphine isnt the kind of drug you want to be on long term...
    I hope you feel better soon.
    MSNik
    Hi MSNik,
    Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.
    I'm 24 and thought I would be able to just man up and get through the pain but it's the complete opposite. I was only put on morphine for days 5, 6, 7 for the pain of the scabs falling off as it's apparently the worst part of it all (the whole thing is hidious).
    Numbing spray sounds AMAZING where would you get something like that from Doctors or just pharmacy?
    How long was it till you felt it all subside?
    How long did you take off from work? Iv been signed off for two weeks but worried I won't be able to go back if it's not because of anything my energy is at zero due to lack of food due to pain and lack of sleep also.
    Any suggestions for food and drink? Cold, warm or hot drinks burn, iv tried all types of food soft and hard and nothing really helps, even soup, egg, toast, porridge, ice cream, yogurt.
    Would love to see this light at the end of the tunnel!
    Thank you
    Vikki

Closed Thread