It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Loss Of Taste After Tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2016, 05:44 AM   #1
    TinaA13
    (female)

TinaA13 HB User
    Loss Of Taste After Tonsillectomy

i had my tonsillectomy 15 days ago and i cant taste much of anything and im so depressed about this. This recovery was already hard on its own but to add this into the mix when in almost healed just takes the cake. initially when i start to eat something i can taste it for 5 seconds and then it goes away. i cant taste sweet things or cheeses or coffee. i always put creamer in my coffee but now im able to drink it straight because i cant taste. That is extremely alarming to me since i could never do that before. i have a post op appt today, im hoping to hear some good news like its normal but i was never told this at the appointment prior to getting them out. I will update frequently and im crossing my fingers my taste comes back this is torture.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
    TinaA13
    (female)

TinaA13 HB User
    Re: Loss Of Taste After Tonsillectomy

hey guys so today was my post op appointment the doctor said i should have my taste back in 4 more weeks
    im day 15 on recovery and he said it typically takes 6 weeks after surgery if you lose your taste. Also the metalic taste is completely normal for those who are experiencing that. he said that was also normal. i still have some scabing on both sides so im not completely healed he said i was healing good.though. my throat and ears have minor pain not.to bad. it still hurts to swallow as well. my taste has not.improved butt i will keep updating every week. the doctor also,said it would be completely safe to take zinc tablets. im going to start those tomorrow he said that can speed up the process. hope this helps someone out there. i will write more after the week is over.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:11 AM   #3
    TinaA13
    (female)

TinaA13 HB User
    Re: Loss Of Taste After Tonsillectomy

I have great news to update and report. I went to the store and bought zinc pills for like 3 dollars at wal mart the nature brand. there 50 mg a day in 1 pill and 1 is all you take. 2 days later i have my taste back 80 percent i would say. i would highly recommend zinc tablets i truly think they helped me. it was almost instand that night i noticed my taste coming back. im going to continue them for a week or two just to be sure. i hope this helps anyone out there

Closed Thread