It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adenotonsillectomy ... HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
    Savvannah17
    (female)

Savvannah17 HB User
    Adenotonsillectomy ... HELP

I had my adenoids and tonsils removed on the sixth (yes, only two days ago.)
    However, I feel like crying (and have on occasion.) My doctor gave me Tylenol 3, codeine with Tylenol I believe. But every time I take it, it feels like it coats my throat and it really burns! I'm also now beginning to have ear pain..so I'm looking for ways to combat that.
    So here are a couple questions that I'm hoping some of you could answer:
    What's the best way to lay in bed(elevation-wise)? What is the most soothing to drink/eat? What can I do about my ears? What are the best types of ice packs to use?
    Lastly, I've been wheezing a bit, and wanted to know if anyone else experienced this? It's leading me to take more shallow breaths as I'm afraid of coughing (obviously coughing doesn't feel very good, lol).
    Thank you for taking the time to read and for hopefully answering my questions and leaving any other tips you may have! Have a blessed day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #2
    Jsr94
    (female)

Jsr94 HB User
    Re: Adenotonsillectomy ... HELP

Hey-
    I had my tonsils removed on the 2nd!
    To answer some of your questions, I was combating the ear pain by chewing gum and using ice packs. I got my ice packs from my surgery center, but you could really just use a sock and put ice in a bag and put that into the sock.

Foods that word for me were APPLE SAUCE, buttered noodles, matzo ball soup, split pea soup, smoothie, sorbet, and Popsicles.
    Apple sauce is great to take your pills in. I bought a pill crusher and crush my Tylenol and eat it in the apple sauce.

For the first week I slept in the couch sitting up. Although it's not the most comfortable thing in the world, it worked. I'm finally back in my bed but still sleeping with 5 pillows propping me up.

I hope this helps you!! Best of luck with your recovery!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jsr94 For This Useful Post:
    Savvannah17 (12-13-2016)
    Closed Thread