It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Ears won't stop crackling

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
    TanyaTanya
    (female)

TanyaTanya HB User
    Unhappy Ears won't stop crackling

Hi everyone,

I am posting because I am hoping to get some answers about this very annoying problem withy my ears. A few months ago I had a bad pressure headache and when it subsided, my ears felt full. After the feeling of fullness went away, I began to experience crackling noises in my ears whenever I swallow or breathe in. The noises sound like someone is unwrapping a candy in my head or like bubbles bursting. Yesterday my sinuses were blocked and the noises went away. I got excited but today my sinuses are feeling better but the crackling is BACK.

I went to an ENT who gave me a pressure and hearing test and everything came back just fine. Has anyone had any success with diagnosing this issue? What can I do to find relief?

Thanks in advance for your help and support!

Tanya

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
    rpg
    (male)

rpg HB User
    Re: Ears won't stop crackling

I too have had this problem in the past couple of years (3 times in all). No pain just annoying. I suspected that a small hair was rubbing against my eardrum. So I took a q-tip and pulled on the cotton from one end, about a 1/4". I then moistened this end with cold water and flattened. Now be very, very careful and slowly insert this end into your ear until the moistened end comes near the eardrum and then slowly rotate the q-tip and remove. If you feel uncomfortable with this procedure then just go back to the doctor, to see if he or she can see anything against the eardrum. Good luck!

Old 12-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
    carolathequeen
    (female)

carolathequeen HB User
    Cool Re: Ears won't stop crackling

Don' ever put a q tip in your ear.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #4
    TanyaTanya
    (female)

TanyaTanya HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rpg View Post
    I too have had this problem in the past couple of years (3 times in all). No pain just annoying. I suspected that a small hair was rubbing against my eardrum. So I took a q-tip and pulled on the cotton from one end, about a 1/4". I then moistened this end with cold water and flattened. Now be very, very careful and slowly insert this end into your ear until the moistened end comes near the eardrum and then slowly rotate the q-tip and remove. If you feel uncomfortable with this procedure then just go back to the doctor, to see if he or she can see anything against the eardrum. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip! I have an ENT appointment next week; I will ask about the possibility of a hair being in there but I hear the crackling sounds in both ears so I doubt it's a hair, or anything like that. Thanks again

Old 12-13-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
    mkdandy
    (female)

mkdandy HB User

I've also been having ear crackling AND popping along with muffled hearing and a feeling of pressure and fullness in my ears and head. I saw an ENT last week who took out some wax but that didn't help. He prescribed me Augmentin but I haven't started yet because I'm so weary of antibiotics and am nursing my daughter a couple times a day still. Looks like I may have to start very soon. This happened to me earlier this year and I had to take two rounds of another antibiotic and my hearing returned to normal after 3 weeks-ish.

I've read that crackling is a sign of fluid draining out of your ear and hoping that is true... I also have sinus congestion, so I rarely get any drainage out of my nose, just the back of my throat.

This is driving me nuts. I've tried so many things already... Nasal rinse, rhinecort steriod nasal spray, hot lemon tea, garlic and apple cider... No avail. Also trying to sleep elevated as well which is not the most comfortable b/c I have a bad neck... Hope you find a solution and please do share it or how things pan out. Wishing you luck too!

Old 12-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #6
    TanyaTanya
    (female)

TanyaTanya HB User

Thanks for your reply! I hope your issues resolve soon too! I will keep you updated as to what the ENT says to me next week. Did the Augmentin help with the crackling noises as well?

Old 12-15-2016, 12:43 AM   #7
    mkdandy
    (female)

mkdandy HB User

TanyaTanya, I haven't started on Augmentin yet as I'm finishing up a Chinese herbal medicine that my naturopath gave and I hope I made the right decision! I will update of improvements (or lack of... Hope not!)

Old 12-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
    TanyaTanya
    (female)

TanyaTanya HB User

Thanks I would appreciate that!

Old 12-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #9
    mkdandy
    (female)

mkdandy HB User

Hi TanyaTanya, unfortunately, the Chinese herbal medicine didn't help unclog my ears. I still have the crackly pop though the pressure feels less though. I am holding off on the antibiotic still and now trying Herbal Expec (a decongestant with guaifenesin) and Sambucca. I hope this works. I feel like it's some thick mucus stuck in there and that's what is making those sounds when I swallow or eat etc.

Been doing a lot of research on why I have this sinus congestion that is associated with my ear problems this year. (I only developed it after my neck injury early this year..) and there are some articles about how neck injuries can cause straight neck and forward head posture, restricting blood flow in the neck and head. I'm getting off tangent here but hoping it might shed some light for some folks. It's been a rough year for me and my story is long, lol.

How are your ears? Any improvements?

Old 12-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
    TanyaTanya
    (female)

TanyaTanya HB User

Hi mkdandy,

sorry to hear that the chinese herbal medicine didn't work for you.Thanks for letting me know about Expec...perhaps I will try it too. My ears are the same - no better and, thankfully, no worse. I have my ENT appointment on Wednesday and will write an update after the appointment. It's interesting that you mention your neck injury...I did not have that as a precursor to my ear troubles. I just had a hypertensive episode that ended with a bad pressure headache after which the ear crackling started and still hasn't stopped. This was about 3 months ago.

Hope you feel better soon!

Tanya

Old 12-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
    TanyaTanya
    (female)

TanyaTanya HB User

Hi mkdandy,

I hope you are feeling better.

I just returned from the ENT doctor and he diagnosed me with Bilateral Atrophic Flaccid Tympanic Membrane. Basically, my ear drums do not function the way they are supposed to. Instead of being taut, they are loose and this is causing the crackling noises in my ears. The doctors don't know why this happens but they do have a laser surgery treatment called laser myringotomy to correct it. This is a relatively risk-free procedure which only takes about 10 minutes, although it requires anesthesia. It is effective in 70% of patients so I hope it works for me too. I booked the procedure for January 3rd and I will keep you updated. I am just so relieved that there is a treatment for this. Let me know if you have any questions.

Tanya

Old 12-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #12
    mkdandy
    (female)

mkdandy HB User

Hi TanyaTanya, thanks for the update! That is one long medical term. I'm glad you were able to find something that is treatable. Wishing your treatment to be a success! Let me know how that goes. Does your ENT know what caused it?

As for me, still crackling/popping, especially my left ear but seems to have eased a little bit. I may go see my ENT again as a follow up if it doesn't clear soon.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #13
    mkdandy
    (female)

mkdandy HB User

Also, how was it diagnosed? Did the Dr. just look into your ears with an otoscope or did they do imaging?

Old 12-22-2016, 04:43 PM   #14
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Hmmm...mine have done this for years -decades in fact- and I just ignore it. I have bad sinuses and tons of allergies so just have gotten used to it.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #15
    TanyaTanya
    (female)

TanyaTanya HB User

Hi Mkdandy:

They looked in my ears, and asked me to plug my nose and try to pop my ears, they also saw my hearing test results. I think they can see the ear drums with their instruments. No imaging was done. I have the procedure booked for January 3rd and I'll let you know how everything goes.

Closed Thread

Tags
    crackling sound, ears, ent, etd