It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Questions about Ear tubes.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
    tm559
    (male)

tm559 HB User
    Questions about Ear tubes.

Hello. I am 30 years old and after dealing with fluid not draining out of my right middle ear and a feeling of fullness and a little hearing loss for about a year i am finally set to have a tube placed. I have been doing a lot of reading up on this and reading other peoples experiences and seeing quite a lot of people not having good outcomes with this so it is kind of worrying me a little on whether i should even go through with it.

The DR didn't really say much other than it is a pretty common procedure and it only takes about 15 minutes.

Basically I'm wondering what the success rate is or the percentage of people who have positive results from this procedure?

Also typically what the time frame is on how long the tube will have to stay in?

Is there any common complications after the procedure or are the complications/risk pretty rare and while the tube is in will i have to be really cautious as far as like showering/water etc or is everything basically normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
    wonka31
    (female)

wonka31 HB User
    Re: Questions about Ear tubes.

Sorry that no one replied back to you. I am a positive outcome...I'm in my early 40's and I'm on my 3rd ear tube. I've had one regular tube and two T-tubes. T-tubes are supposed to stay in longer. I have eustacian tube dysfunction. These are always risks, but a biggie is that the tube comes out and the ear drum does not heal. There is the risk of infection, bleeding and hearing loss. As long as the tube is placed correctly, I don't see how it cannot work. It should be draining fluid from your middle ear, which should make things a lot better for you.

As far as things like showers, you should be fine just taking a normal shower. Obviously you don't want to try to get water in your ear, but if it happens, no big deal. A swimming pool, I would wear an ear plug, even though my doctor told me it's the same as the shower. When it becomes a problem is if you go swimming in a lake, stream, river, creek, ocean, etc. that has organisms in it. Now there is a big time risk of infection, or worse if that organism gets into your ear through your tube. I hope things are going well for you.

Closed Thread