It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Swollen tonsils and white patches . Please help I'm desperate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
    karli0412
    (female)

karli0412 HB User
    Swollen tonsils and white patches . Please help I'm desperate

Hi,

Happy Christmas to all...

I feel really down I've been suffering from throat infection with swollen tonsils and white ooze (patches).
    I've been to urgent care and my primary doctor . I've been given steroids for the swelling and been on keflex 7day, augmentin 7days,and a shot of antibiotics and 10 days of penicillin. The penicillin made me feel well but 3 days after my throats is covered again with white patches and starting to swell up again . Throat cultures come back negative for strep. I also done a physical and hiv test .

They suspect it's viral or mono since it won't go away. This has been going on since November 12th. I don't want to keep going back to my doctor when nothing they are giving me seems to be working . I tried gargling with organic apple cider vinegar, garlic, zinc ,vitamin C,E,D , and some vitamins for throat health. This sore throats eventually turns into a chest infection . I'm so desperate I really don't know what else to do . I have never had anything like this as I only get sick once a year . I feel so depressed and worried it might be something else or that it won't go away .

Any advise or anyone ever been through this ? Please help

Last edited by karli0412; 12-25-2016 at 08:50 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to karli0412:
    Dragonfly Wings (12-26-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Swollen tonsils and white patches . Please help I'm desperate

My advice is to push for them to be removed. Did they do a culture of the specific bacteria?

q

Old 12-26-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Hello karli and belated Merry Christmas to you also,

Sorry to hear you've been so unwell! Are you able to get a second opinion on what is going on instead of them just making guesses on what it might be due to the duration and resistance to medication? Have they tried other medication combinations for you or just the same things as mentioned above?

I hope you can find relief very soon, it sounds terrible for you
    Big Hugs!
    K.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
    karli0412
    (female)

karli0412 HB User

No,just those meds above . They think it's viral or mono. I'm just so worried at this point. I'm starting to think I'm never going to get better and I'm scared for them to tell me I need my tonsils removed . Right now they're just swollen and with white patches but not pain so far . I've been gargling and taking my meds . I might go to my doctor tomorrow and see and ask if they anything else they can test me for . I'm also ask to be refer to an ENT. All this is making me so depressed

Last edited by karli0412; 12-26-2016 at 04:00 PM. Reason: So far the tests they done is a throats culture twice which was negative. Physical , hiv test, any other tests I should ask f

Old 12-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Absolutely see an ENT...let us know the outcome.

q

Old 12-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #6
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

I absolutely agree with you asking to see an ENT, this has gone on long enough I hope they find the cause of what is happening and it is a simple "fix" for you! It sounds incredibly painful! I remember having tonsillitis a few times as a child and it was like swallowing glass and needles!

All the best for getting answers ASAP!
    K.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #7
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Getting my tonsils out was the best thing I ever did. I had suffered with throat infections for 5 years..it seemed like I was always going to the doctors and always being given antibiotics which never worked for longer than a few weeks...
    Getting the surgery is not fun as an adult, but its really only about 3-4 days of pain swallowing and being on a soft diet, and then bam! Everything gets better!
    I have not had a sore throat in 6 years since the surgery...in fact, my overall health is much better!

Dont be afraid if someone suggests getting them out. In the long run you'll be much happier if you do it.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    quincy (12-28-2016)
    Old 01-24-2017, 12:43 AM   #8
    karli0412
    (female)

karli0412 HB User

Update /

Well the last time I went to the doctors after and overload of antibiotics they tried to give me antivirals

I was so sick of pills and hearing them tell me let it run its course. That I started supplementing with vitamin C,A ,D, zinc, and selenium. I also bought throat health probiotics and was eating garlic, Manuka honey, and different types of teas . I also started irrigating my tonsils with salt and water and eventually it got better . My tonsils are still a little swollen but not like before . I hope what I did helps someone else going through something similar

This virus did took a toll on me physicially and emotionally unfortunately

Last edited by karli0412; 01-24-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Closed Thread