It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Post Myringotomy Problems.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-11-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
    tm559
    (male)

tm559 HB User
    Post Myringotomy Problems.

So after my right ear feeling a little plugged up, ringing in my ear, crackling noises, always having to pop my ear and feeling unbalanced for over a year i finally had a incision and tube placed in my right ear..And immediately after i feel 10x worse..My hearing is a lot worse than it was before the procedure, i feel as if i have massive amounts of pressure building up not only in the ear the procedure was done on but in both ears, i can barely hear myself talk and everthing(especially deeper noises) sound really weird as if I'm under water..I told the ENT it felt worse but he just said to come back in two weeks to recheck it. He did mention my hearing might sound a little echoey but nothing this drastic. Are these symptoms normal? I thought maybe they would go away by the time i woke up or at least got a little better but are still just as bad. On top of that the ENT said i really didn't even have much fluid in there if any at all..

Should i call the ENT up today or is this normal and should i just wait it out until my 2 week appt? It just sucks because I'm really not going to be able to do much for 2 weeks since i can barely hear and it feels really weird.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2017, 11:22 PM   #2
    tm559
    (male)

tm559 HB User
    Re: Post Myringotomy Problems..

Well It's been almost 2 weeks since i got this done and i still really don't feel much better. I talked to the ENT assistant 2 days after i had it done and they said that my symptoms are normal and to give it a little more time. It maybe feels a tiny bit better since that first day but not much. Now i just feel like pressure in my ear as if i have a ear plug in my ear and the ringing in my ear is more noticeable. I would love to just go back to the way i felt before the procedure which wasn't all that bad compared to now. I have my 2 week checkup on Thursday and i want to just have the tube removed and my eardrum sealed up..

Old 01-28-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
    wonka31
    (female)

wonka31 HB User

Hi. I understand what you are going through. I've had 3 tubes put in. The first time I had your issue of the hearing being really weird to me. That did resolve after about 5 days. But I have a question for you. Did the doctor give you ear drop antibiotics? I'm wondering if the tube became obstructed with blood or fluid? This happened to me on this last tube insertion. There was a lot of blood and it got caked over the tube. Not fun having the blood removed, but once that happened, I felt a lot better and my hearing improving dramatically. Also, the pressure and pain was gone. I hope when you went for your check-up, that the doctor was able to help you.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
    tm559
    (male)

tm559 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wonka31 View Post
    Hi. I understand what you are going through. I've had 3 tubes put in. The first time I had your issue of the hearing being really weird to me. That did resolve after about 5 days. But I have a question for you. Did the doctor give you ear drop antibiotics? I'm wondering if the tube became obstructed with blood or fluid? This happened to me on this last tube insertion. There was a lot of blood and it got caked over the tube. Not fun having the blood removed, but once that happened, I felt a lot better and my hearing improving dramatically. Also, the pressure and pain was gone. I hope when you went for your check-up, that the doctor was able to help you.
    Well since i posted my first post my ear feels a bit better. The weird echoey sounds has went away, the only thing i feel now is a little bit of fullness in my ear and a little muffled hearing when i talk. I had my check up on the 26th and the doctor said the tube looked good, nothing blocked up or anything. They did a hearing test and my hearing is good, well above the normal range and i had no problem hearing the words in the hearing test.

I inquired about having it taken out and he stated that it can take 3-4 weeks to adjust to having the tube in there and that in all his years of being a ENT doctor he only ever had a few people who didn't adjust to it and had to take it out. So he recommended giving it a little more time to heal up. So my next apt is in 6 weeks where he said if i am still not benefiting from the tube he will remove it. So hopefully it will continue to get better, i am just assuming that the more my eardrum heals(which is a slow process) the better it will get..And to answer your question no i wasn't given any kind of drops or antibiotics.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
    wonka31
    (female)

wonka31 HB User

Glad to hear that you are doing better. How about the other symptoms that you had, especially the unbalanced feeling? That was the worst for me. For the most part I could deal with the ear pressure and fullness, but what I called a constant "off feeling", that was driving me crazy. When I had the tube put in for the first time, and my hearing was weird (doc told me to expect it) I thought, "oh great, this didn't work". But the off feeling was gone right away. I was thrilled. I really hope you continue to get better.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
    tm559
    (male)

tm559 HB User

Well as far as the dizziness or feeling unbalanced i don't really notice too much difference but then again i wouldn't say mine was super bad to begin with. The ringing in my ear seemed like it was worse and more noticeable the week or so after the operation but seems like its a lot better the last few days. All in all i would say i feel like i am slowly getting a little bit better every couple days or so but at this point honestly i would still say if i could go back i probably wouldn't have done the operation.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
    emptyvoices31
    (female)

emptyvoices31 HB User
    Re: Post Myringotomy Problems.

I'm hoping this resolved itself for you by now considering you posted in January. But I'm just posting because like you, in November I had similar issues that were temporary. They lasted a few weeks and my clogging feeling, pressure, pulse and weird sounds started to reside.

ENT's typically recommend the tube staying in 4-8 weeks for full healing to actually take place. However, I do wonder if he gave you any help along the way that might make the symptoms bearable? This is my forth ear tube I'm on. My last one was knocked out when I hit my head inside a London train. So, I just had another one put in last Wednesday. The symptoms you have are normal, in the healing time for the tube. You won't feel much better taking the tube out.

However, there are some things that I my ENT gives me to make the wait time a little less intense. You just have to be diligent. I take two nasal steroids twice a day. Azelastine HCI (antihistamine) and Flonase (you can buy this over the counter). You mix the two to get Dymista. Otherwise Dymista is really expensive and most insurance plans don't pay for it. If yours does, great. But those two ingredients make Dymista just as well. Also get a saline rinse and use that once a day. On top of that, Mucinex-D. I swear by this. Only take this in the morning. It'll dry up the moisture and help with dizziness. No need for priscription. You can buy this behind the prescription counter at a pharmacy. Just show your driver's license.

Ask your ENT for ear drops called Ciprodex. They help with some of the inflammation caused by the surgery. No matter how quick the procedure was, it was still a little trauma to the ear drum. The Ciprodex will help it heal and sooth your ear, help with inflammation through the eustacion tube. Insist upon it. Also, what really helps is a medrol dose pack of prednisone. It's a seven day course and it will start on a high dose and taper you off naturally. If they see signs of infection in the ear, also use augmentin. It's a good antibiotic for ear infections but this isn't always the case. Most of the problems that stem here are from inflammation and swelling, liquid being captured in the ear, etc. Take a good over the counter antihistamine all the while. Since prednisone and Mucinex-D is hard on the stomach, I highly suggest taking fish oil and probiotics. 3-4 a day of fish oil and 2 probiotics just to prevent stomach pain. The prednisone is temporary as are any antibiotics. Hopefully the ciprodex is temporary too. Your ear will start to feel like normal and then you can just stay on the nasal sprays and allergy meds to keep it at level. This is just my course that helped me through the initial symptoms of the tube.

If they don't help for whatever reason however they should, most cases do resolve, look into Meniere's disease and ask about whether a diuretic would work. But that is a bit extreme. I do think you'll feel better once the ear tube has fully healed and the irritants have resolved. You might be dealing with a great deal in the way of allergies or sinus issues, which caused the ear problem in the first place. If you treat those issues, you might even start liking your tube. On my plane ride to London, it was actually so nice to have my really sensitive ear plug up or worry about it at all.

Just try to avoid having concussions and jarring the tube out. It's an expensive accident to have. Good luck.

Reply Reply