It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Perforated eardrum with ringing, is this normal?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
    SuperFatigued
    (female)

SuperFatigued HB User
    Perforated eardrum with ringing, is this normal?

3 weeks ago I fell onto a toy that went into my ear canal and ruptured my eardrum. A couple hours later it began to bleed so I went to the ER where perforation was confirmed and I was sent home with a prescription for Neomycin/Polymyxin B suspension ear drops. I used them one time only (3 drops) and then read they shouldn't be used with a perforation. The following day I developed a high-pitched ringing in my ears, this also coincides with the day the blood dried up inside my ear.

I still have high-pitched ringing and my eardrum still has a scab on it. Is this ringing normal for a perforated or scabbed over eardrum? I saw an ENT who said not to worry about the drops as one dose shouldn't be enough to cause inner ear damage but I can't stop worrying after all the terrifying things I've read.

If ringing is normal for the injury, how long should it take to get better? Has anyone else suffered with ringing from an ear rupture?

Also, since my ear was bleeding when I put the drops in should I be concerned about them getting into my bloodstream?

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply