It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

Possible Thyroid Cancer?! HELP!


Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
Jesse8089
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Jesse8089 HB User
Possible Thyroid Cancer?! HELP!

Hello,

This is my first post here, I need help understanding what is it that I have.

Ok some basic details about myself:

- 19 year old Male

- I have mild asthma that is well controlled

- My father pasted away from Melonoma cancer

Ok, in September I discovered a lump on my neck (not in the center off to the left) and it bothered me while swallowing (not in a painful way, it just felt awkward) so I went to see my family doctor. He thought it was a thyro-glossal cyst but wasn't sure as most are always in the center of the neck. He sent me to a ENT specialist. My first visit, the ENT specialist thought it was some sort of cyst so he performed a fine-needle biospy to drain the fluid and take it for testing. As soon as he drained it and took the fluid out he told me immediately that it was benign judging off the fluid. I was relieved until later...

I went back a month later to do a follow up appointment to discuss what it was. He told me upon testing, they are not sure what it was. He suggested I had surgery to remove it. So a month later (Dec 30th). I went in for a surgery that was supposed to be 20-30 mins but took just over and hour to complete. He told me that it was more complex and deeper then they thought it was and it had "fingers to it" so they had to follow it to remove. He fully removed the "Cyst." A couple of stressful weeks later, I go in for a follow up to see how the healing was doing and to find out what I had. He told me they are not sure what it is so they sent it to another hospital to do lab testing as well. Upon further testing, they found a few cancer cells. He suggested I went for a ct-scan on my neck to see where they came from.

I was devestated. A week later I went for my Ct-scan and the results came in a couple of days after. The ENT specialist called me saying my Ct-scan is normal and everything is fine!!! Then.... two days later he called back explaining to me they found "a little spot." HE said its so small they are not sure how to treat it. So he reffered me to a second ENT specialist who I will be seeing next week to discuss treatment options if any.

Anways after all this, do I have cancer or do I not?!?!? I'm so confused and I really stressed out!!

Any replies would be appreciated thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
kafish67
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: michigan
Posts: 96
kafish67 HB User
Re: Possible Thyroid Cancer?! HELP!

Did you have your appointment with the other ENT? What did he say? It sounds very confusing. I'm curious where they found the "spot". Fingers crossed it was nothing. Please let us know.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
Jesse8089
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Jesse8089 HB User
Re: Possible Thyroid Cancer?! HELP!

Hey so I had my appointment with the second ENT specialist, so he said I had cancer..... Micro Cancer, and that the surgery I had three months ago to removed the "cyst" removed it all. He said the surgery cured it and I'm fine and no further surgery is needed. After our discussion, he did a quick ultra sound on my neck to check it out and everything is good. All I got to do now is go back in a year to have a check up that is all

Last edited by Jesse8089; 03-28-2017 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Wanted to delete it

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:58 PM   #4
Jesse8089
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Jesse8089 HB User
Re: Possible Thyroid Cancer?! HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafish67 View Post
Did you have your appointment with the other ENT? What did he say? It sounds very confusing. I'm curious where they found the "spot". Fingers crossed it was nothing. Please let us know.

Sorry replied below without actually replying to your post, you can check out my reply above.

Best,
Jesse

Last edited by Jesse8089; 03-28-2017 at 08:58 PM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:21 AM   #5
kafish67
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: michigan
Posts: 96
kafish67 HB User
Re: Possible Thyroid Cancer?! HELP!

I'm not very versed in Micro Cancer but when you said you had a lump removed from your neck, I thought it may have been a lymph node which, unfortunately I am very experienced in. So when you say micro cancer, do you mean papillary micro carcinoma? If that's the case, it seems to be a very common form of thyroid cancer but usually treated by an endocrinologist. Have you seen one of them? What was the spot they saw? Are you near a large teaching hospital or comprehensive cancer center? You seem awfully young to be given a cancer diagnosis, but these doctors seem to be very nonchalant about it and that would give me cause for concern. I wish you well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
Jesse8089
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Jesse8089 HB User
Re: Possible Thyroid Cancer?! HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafish67 View Post
I'm not very versed in Micro Cancer but when you said you had a lump removed from your neck, I thought it may have been a lymph node which, unfortunately I am very experienced in. So when you say micro cancer, do you mean papillary micro carcinoma? If that's the case, it seems to be a very common form of thyroid cancer but usually treated by an endocrinologist. Have you seen one of them? What was the spot they saw? Are you near a large teaching hospital or comprehensive cancer center? You seem awfully young to be given a cancer diagnosis, but these doctors seem to be very nonchalant about it and that would give me cause for concern. I wish you well.

I'm not satisfied with the answer I got to be honest. He did not say what cancer it was, I thought it was papillary micro carcinoma. All he said it was a micro cancer thats all. I have not seen an endocrinologist, what do they do? Also he did not mention anything about the spot they found in the ct-scan. I guess it was so small that there is nothing they can do other than monitor it once a year. This hospital I went at is a very large one and well known. In the ENT department they are connected to a university as well to teach students.

On a side note, I have been experiencing a weird sensation (I want to say painful but its not that painful) where I had my surgery and 'Micro Cancer.' It comes and goes, I had my surgery 3 months ago and I'm a little confused why I still feel something "cooking" in my neck in that particular area (If that makes sense).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
kafish67
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: michigan
Posts: 96
kafish67 HB User
Re: Possible Thyroid Cancer?! HELP!

An endocrinologist is a doctor who specializes in the endocrine system. The endocrine system is a series of glands that act together to perform a number of important functions in the body. The thyroid gland is part of that system. If this is indeed a problem with your endocrine system, I feel a specialist should be consulted at least. I want to tell you up front that I have no medical experience whatsoever. Everything I know about the head and neck is self taught as I am a head a neck cancer survivor, more specifically tonsil cancer with neck metastasis. What I've learned in my 15 year journey is that you have to be your own advocate. What I would do if I were you is get a copy of the radiologist reports of both ct scans as well as the pathology report and take it to someone who you feel comfortable with. Do some research, get referrals for doctors who specialize in this sort of thing. You have very legitimate questions that need answers. First being, is this cancer? And if so, what type? I would also address the "spot". Also, I would copy and paste your original post to the thyroid cancer board. I'm sure you will get a whole lot more information from people there. Lastly, in regard to your neck cooking sensation...that could be nerve regeneration but I would also bring it up with the next dr you see. Let us know what you find out. I'll be looking for updates from you on the thyroid board. 😀

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
Jesse8089
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Jesse8089 HB User
Re: Possible Thyroid Cancer?! HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafish67 View Post
An endocrinologist is a doctor who specializes in the endocrine system. The endocrine system is a series of glands that act together to perform a number of important functions in the body. The thyroid gland is part of that system. If this is indeed a problem with your endocrine system, I feel a specialist should be consulted at least. I want to tell you up front that I have no medical experience whatsoever. Everything I know about the head and neck is self taught as I am a head a neck cancer survivor, more specifically tonsil cancer with neck metastasis. What I've learned in my 15 year journey is that you have to be your own advocate. What I would do if I were you is get a copy of the radiologist reports of both ct scans as well as the pathology report and take it to someone who you feel comfortable with. Do some research, get referrals for doctors who specialize in this sort of thing. You have very legitimate questions that need answers. First being, is this cancer? And if so, what type? I would also address the "spot". Also, I would copy and paste your original post to the thyroid cancer board. I'm sure you will get a whole lot more information from people there. Lastly, in regard to your neck cooking sensation...that could be nerve regeneration but I would also bring it up with the next dr you see. Let us know what you find out. I'll be looking for updates from you on the thyroid board. 😀
Thank you for your advice. I'm going on vacation in May so I think I will hold off going to see anyone until after the trip. I already have a copy of my ct-scan, I will get a copy of my pathology report and will bring it to someone else. Should I go to an endocrinologist? After I found out I was "cure" I still wasn't satisfied as I wasn't told what I exactly had. I need more answers

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:48 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!