It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• My Experence at 47

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #1
    Vikingbaby
    (female)

Vikingbaby HB User
    My Experence at 47

I waited till I was almost over this ORDEAL before I post because of how everyone is different. 1st. your Dr. CAN'T tell you about how PAINFUL this will be because it is so different for everyone. 2nd make sure you have a symphic person to HELP take care of you this is necessary. I didn't want someone that hovered but I wanted someone that if I felt like a big baby they would be there but at the same time if I didn't want to be bothered they left me alone you WILL go thru these emotions.

Lets Start:
    Day 1 (day after surgery)

Lots of EXTREAM PAIN and SWELLING {Get anti-inflammatory meds VERY IMPORTANT thru it all}

Day 1-4 Eats lots of Ice chips
    ICEE
    Popsicles (NO chunks of fruit)
    NON-alcohol Daquaries
    {LOTS OF MUCUS CAN'T SLEEP LAYING DOWN RECLINER LIFE SAVER}

Day 5-8 UP TURN but don't let that fool you. Stay with Day 1-4 but add a straw it makes getting liquids a little easier.

Day 9-11 Lots of SHARP SEVER & EXTREAM PAIN, Ichi. Scabs starting to slof off will have SHARP pain when that happens. At this time if cold is not working (STOPPED FOR ME) start to use warm liquids to drink, moist heat for pain in ears and throat around the neck. The Dr. may try to stop anti-inflammatory but if it helps INSIST it was like night and day for me if was the difference between my liquids or going to ER for liquids.

Day 12 Start eating pudding, mash potatoes/gravy consistency of beginners baby food. Still on diet from Day 1 tried regular food kept getting stuck in the throat.

Day 14 Still Sore lots of flem and scabs coming off. I spit a lot and gagged when scabs fell off at times I cough so hard I had dry heaves.

Day 15 Still mainly liquids, diet from Day 1 plus I eat mashed potatoes, soups, pudding anything smooth going down beginning baby food

TIPS:
    There will be EXTREAM PAIN have someone for DAY 1-4 & Day 9-11
    There will be ALOT of THICK GROSS LOOKING FLEM
    Liquids WILL drip and drain from noise {Do not swallow looking down the drink and swallow looking straight ahead} looking down it will drip through noise can be painful MAINLY annoying.
    The ONLY way I could get relief from the ear and the throat pain was worst heat around the neck.
    PAIN is WORSE in the MORNING and NIGHT
    In the morning throat is DRY try to hydrate before taking ANYTHING ie. pain meds.
    I LEARNED THIS DO NOT TALK Day 1-6 {helps with healing}
    Day 7-9 start but very limited
    Day 10- healed start slow work your way back (if voice seems horse or strange clear throat and rest voice) This helped me heal and reduced and control pain.
    SLEEP in a recliner until NO pain in the throat. Didn't start sleeping in my bed until Day 15 then I was up every 3-4 hours clearing my throat and drinking. DRY MOUTH IS BAD
    NO sleeping in with fan on or above you will dry throat makes it VERY PAINFUL.
    WILL be GASSY through the whole thing.
    WILL lose weight lost 10 lb. in 10 Days
    Barrow a shaved Ice machine
    Rubber mallet to crush ice you will be going thru a lot of ice.
    When taking a shower eat ice chips at the same time for some strange reason I got hydrated easily that way.
    NO ICE CREAM {DAIRY MAKES MUCUS}

Projects:
    Movies, Netflix, NO project that takes concertation (because of pain- I could not concentrate)
    As I felt better I reorganized my apartment that I just moved into.

Needs:

Small 8oz. plastic bowls (for eating small amounts at a time and ice chips)
    Disposable cups
    Trash can w/ liner (for when you spit up/ gag)
    small beginner baby spoons (disposable) when you start eating small bites help swallow better it's tedious but when you're hungry you'll do it.
    Boxes of tissue for nose runs and what I call baby mucus.

Now I am at Day 15
    I still get dehydrated easily. I eat a lot of popsicles, ice chips and I am taking med size swallows now but I look up when I swallow if I don't it will leak out of my nose THIS IS NORMAL until I am completely healed. I eat mash potatoes and gravy, pudding anything that is smooth (jello and I did not get along)

Last edited by Vikingbaby; 03-11-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply