It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Bizarre front neck pain/muscle tear?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
    threeteas
    (male)

threeteas HB User
    Unhappy Bizarre front neck pain/muscle tear?

Nearly two months ago, I was working on a bike (I am an amateur bike mechanic) and was trying to get a bolt loose. This required a tremendous amount of torque and clenching of my jaws--I felt a slight "pop" and a severe pain that ran down the front of a muscle/nerve in my throat.

This pain subsided later that day, and I didn't think much of it, but the more I exercise, compete on my bike, talk, or even swallow during the day the more a vague ache comes back near the front of the throat. Sometimes it feels like nerve pain. This happens if I'll move my head or jerk it a certain way. It is severely annoying, and I'm starting to get very worried, even though my dentist did a check of my neck, as well as a doctor and massage therapist. All seemed to agree that it was some kind of torn muscle. However, whenever I get the pain I feel quite panicky and am enjoying my life less and less because of it and the worry. My massage therapist said it was "tightly bound" down there from the strain.

I have to admit that my worries are compounded by my sister having Thyroid cancer 10 years ago, even though a doc did check my thyroid and tested levels, everything.

It seems like perhaps the next step would be going to an ENT and really getting this thing thoroughly checked. It seems muscular or nerve related, but also seems very, very odd. I also have to mention that I am an ex tobacco user, so there is also that. However, at night when I'm resting or when I'm very relaxed I don't even feel it.

I wonder if it is anxiety related--but very worried.

Very worried here!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Bizarre front neck pain/muscle tear?

Hi....i can understand that pain well actually. Have you had an xray or CT scan of your neck, jaw and upper chest? Its possible that an ultrasound could help see tissue/muscle abnormalities. An ENT could give insight as to possible issues including thyroid. Especially since swallowing hurts.

Since your sister has had thyroid cancer in the past, push for further testing to rule it out. Sometimes one injury can mask or be assumed initially. If there's one test visualy that can rule out the most, then push for that.

Please let us know what happens.
    q

Old 04-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
    threeteas
    (male)

threeteas HB User

I am so worried that it is a throat cancer. So worried that my little girls might lose me if it is. Trying to get into an ENT on Monday. Have a general physical on Wednesday.

I'm very scared.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
    threeteas
    (male)

threeteas HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Hi....i can understand that pain well actually. Have you had an xray or CT scan of your neck, jaw and upper chest? Its possible that an ultrasound could help see tissue/muscle abnormalities. An ENT could give insight as to possible issues including thyroid. Especially since swallowing hurts.

q

What caused the pain that you experienced that was similar?

Old 04-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Believe it or not....a yawn while turning my head. Let me clarify that I've had injury to my neck since was a kid....running and tripped on a curb which threw my head back and I landed forward on my body.

I have also lifted something heavy and pulled that same muscle at the front of my neck with the same spasming. The pain went down into the top part of my chest.

In truth, it's the same feeling after I had dental work done with my mouth open for a long while and also after I had my wisdom teeh out. I was sure the dentist had his foot on my chest while pulling out my teeth,.....hurt badly for around a week.

q

Last edited by quincy; 04-01-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:47 AM   #6
    threeteas
    (male)

threeteas HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Believe it or not....a yawn while turning my head. Let me clarify that I've had injury to my neck since was a kid....running and tripped on a curb which threw my head back and I landed forward on my body.

I have also lifted something heavy and pulled that same muscle at the front of my neck with the same spasming. The pain went down into the top part of my chest.

In truth, it's the same feeling after I had dental work done with my mouth open for a long while and also after I had my wisdom teeh out. I was sure the dentist had his foot on my chest while pulling out my teeth,.....hurt badly for around a week.

q
    I went to see my primary care doctor after talking to an ENT nurse--she seemed to think it was muscle related as well. He wasn't particularly concerned, especially there was a definite point of time when it happened. He said if it got worse they might look further--but he was way more concerned about my blood pressure. He thinks it might be related to my high blood pressure even.

I also have to say that I suffer from pretty severe health anxiety and worry about how my past tobacco use might affect my future health.

Should I just keep pushing for further testing though?

Old 04-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi....if he said blood pressure, did he explain how it might relate to your pain in that area?
    Since it's been for 2 months....I don't think its nothing. Even though it has had an event that took place when it happened, the doctor cannot say what it is obviously.

Yes, i would absolutely push for further testing because it hasnt gone away. An ENT nurse doesnt diagnose (over the phone?). Did she not set you for an appointment?

I've had esophageal spasming that might feel that way that goes up into that area, but it kind of crescendos then recedes.

Is it like a pressing feeling? I've had a collapsed lung and it hurt like hell in the front of my neck, kind of like something pressing on it. It happened the first time when I lifted something very heavy, the other time it happened, I bent forward to pick up my purse.

I had apparent gallbladder pain that felt the same as a collapsed lung. I was scared the one that was stitched to my chest wall had collapsed again.

I'm not saying it's either of those, im saying i had assumed it was one thing and it turned out to be entirely other events that felt the same.

The fact that you smoked in the past and could have a related issue is well worth checking out. That's where an ENT comes in. If youre concerned about possible thyroid issue...maybe an endocrinologist.

I understand your health anxiety, but unless you've had testing to rule out everything other than a muscle issue, I'd keep pushing. You might have a vertebrae out of alignment or a tight muscle pressing on a nerve route. Maybe neurologist is the way to go now that ive thought about it more.

Someone has to listen to at least try something else.

Please keep me posted.
    q

Old 04-07-2017, 06:39 AM   #8
    threeteas
    (male)

threeteas HB User

I made an appointment for next Thursday.

I feel really scared about this. What if it is something serious? I do have to admit to having a pretty severe herniated disc in my C5 and C6 about 10 years ago, which the pain hasn't entirely gone away. I wonder if it is somehow related to this.

But my mind keeps going to cancer.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi....doesn't sound at all like c5 c6.

I have probably reved you up uninentially, I apologise. I can subjectively understand your fears, pain and continuing discomfort. I do strongly think that the basic tests of x ray or ultrasound could be done since it's injury in your neck.

I think that your activity levels may have exacerbated the pain, especially when at rest you feel nothing. Were you instructed to use cold on the area? Rest? Not to hyperextend? Use a collar while working, try an antiinflammatory? etc?
    It's possible a deep massage was too much for that injury while inflamed.
    Muscle injuries can take a long wile to heal...especially an area that is used constantly.

I have a suggestion to keep your appointment on point. When you see the ENT try to focus on the issue of why you are there, and bring up that while your anxieties can be easily judged, you are wanting to have an actual diagnosis because of the pop you heard when it happened. You can also say that your second fear is thyroid cancer because of your sister, and you need that to be excluded so you can move on.

You do need to take in the information and form questions that are related as to not only focus on the worst case scenario.

For me, information is what I need to make sense and accept. I have issues with no serious cause because of my wonky body functioning, but I also have disease that is serious enough to require meds and continual monitoring. They all mingle together and it's been a learning process to figure it out. I'm trying to be proactive to keep my anxiety quiesced through my own research and questions at the ready for my doctors and chiropractor.

I look forward to hearing about your appointment on Thursday. Make a list of questions, be precise in your requests and listen to the responses. I have learned that a list is most invaluable so that I don't get into my anxiety-induced verbiose spiral.. When my doc's eyes start to widen....i need to calm down because I've reached the point of being way too hyper.

q

Old 04-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #10
    threeteas
    (male)

threeteas HB User

Thanks this is SUPER helpful. I have to admit to battling tremendous health anxiety as well as depression in the last few years, mainly due to a mild traumatic brain injury and some other personal tragedy that had occurred a few months before the head injury when a close relative died young. I sustained the severe concussion in the Spring of 2015. I'm sure that has something to do with this--these are symptoms that I might have otherwise ignored but I seem to have developed a strong somatic focus. This is all rather recent.

So, yes, I will go in with some very specific things.

I wish I could overcome my health anxiety! It can be crippling and my mind goes to all kinds of places.

Thank you! Your post was calming for me.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #11
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi....you're welcome.

Oh wow, I'd add past traumatic brain injury info to the ENT. Maybe that could set you up for an MRI of the neck area if needed.

Considering what you've been through healthwise and the loss of a good friend.... it seems pretty normal that you would have some issues and fears focusing on health.

Some people are more aware of their bodies, somes put things off till very serious, some take it all in stride and move on.

Have you been in therapy or counselling to deal with yiur anxiety and depression? They work together.....the depression as a counter for anxiety.
    Overcoming health anxiety comes with understanding your thoughts and reactions about it. It also comes with understanding what's actually going on physically and mentally and how to intervene...such as with cognitive behavioural therapy.

Hang tough....use your time wisely with the doctor and be prepared.. When we are super anxious and fearing worst case scenario, many people tend to off handedly give a least case scenario back. While it may be possible, it never lessens the worry. Hopefully the doc will have good insight and do a good exam and make the effort to dig deeper.

You have legit concerns considering your history, especially if you havent had testing. If all is good and it's a soft tissue neck injury....ask for suggestions regarding treatment and maybe physio.

q

Last edited by quincy; 04-07-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Reply Reply