It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

What could be wrong with my throat?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
jess20
(female)

jess20 HB User
What could be wrong with my throat?

Hey.
I've been having problems with my throat for weeks now.
I've had a feeling of a lump in there come and go and at one point it was so bad I had to sit up and sleep. I did not go to a doctor as there was no pain and no symptoms other than the lump-feeling.
I do worry a lot and I recently began therapy and it was after that the lump appeared, it started the day after I had been in therapy talking about things that were kind of difficult for me to talk about so maybe it's an anxiety-symptom but I don't know. I tend to feel anxiety physically very much, i've been to the doctor for chest-pain and shortness of breath late last year as well but they did several tests and found nothing wrong with me and the symptoms went away on their own although they could get really bad at times, I even woke up early one morning having to sit up to be able to breathe yet it was difficult but I was able to breath normally eventually after having calmed myself down. I'm guessing that was some kind of panic attack although I don't know what caused it.
Anyway 2 weeks ago I woke up with my throat feeling sore and late at night I got a headache but I took for granted it was one of my usual headaches because I often have headaches but it was a lot worse and painkillers did nothing for me. Around midnight I got chills and started shaking and freezing like I was sleeping outdoors in the middle of the winter although it wasn't cold inside and I put on 3 shirts and had 2 blankets on, my fever got really high and I could barely touch my face without burning my hand and my head was killing me. I eventually fell asleep though and took some painkillers the next morning and it took down the fever and it hasn't come back since, i've only had lowgrade fever after that. My throat got really bad though as the headache went away and the next night I could not sleep at all because of the pain, I just cried and cried, it felt like my throat was on fire and just swallowing my salvia felt like swallowing lava. The pain was almost only felt on the left side.
I went to a doctor who didn't look in my throat but took a swab test in my throat which came back positive for throat infection caused by bacteria and I got antibiotics to take for 10 days and it helped because the pain was gone in 3 days but I kept taking them of course.
One thing that has not gone away is the lump though... It has been much worse since after the throat infection though and still on my left side. I have woken up a few mornings with horrible pain in my left ear but it has gone away in about an hour after i've woken up. My throat tends to feel sore in the morning as well but only then.
The lump isn't always only on the left side though, it moves and I feel it on the right side for a while and then on the left again... I can't tell for sure if i'm swollen on the outside of my throat but it's very likely.
I would say it's only worry but it's gotten difficult to swallow food now, it feels like it's gonna get stuck although it don't and my throat/back of my mouth feels very dry and I have to drink water all the time. I do have some mucus and i've had problems with my sinuses too but I don't know if it could be mucus that's actually stuck in my throat or something?? And the mucus is not just something I think I have because every now and then I am able to cough it up.
Before I go back to a doctor and waste a bunch of money (I say waste because they often do nothing or find nothing) I would like to know if anyone's had a similar problem and got any diagnosis or if it passed on its own.

This is my general health lately:
-I had sinusitis in Feb. Didn't got to a doctor because i've been there for sinusitis before and they always send me back home without helping anyway.
-Sensation of lump in my throat.
-Headaches (although that's not new to me).
-Stiff neck for over 6 months with no problem moving it but it cracks easily which it haven't before.
-Stomach problems which was supposed to get checked up but it never happened. The symptoms I have are burning in chest after meals (doesn't matter what I eat), burning in stomach. It doesn't constantly bother me but gets worse in periods.
-Tenderness in my neck muscles, that includes the front of my neck with a slight soreness in my throat as well. My neck feels very sore when I bend my head and my throat feels tense and tight.
-Aching in my left ear that comes and goes.

(The headache I had along with the throat infection was also mostly on the left side).

I do have thyroid-problems in my family and a nurse I spoke to last year thought I should have my thyroid checked since I have so many of the symptoms, and I do... but it hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by jess20; 05-16-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply