It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Short, random episodes of my right ear suddenly feeling full.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
    ShainaKay15
    (female)

ShainaKay15 HB User
    Short, random episodes of my right ear suddenly feeling full.

I apologize ahead of time - this post may be long.

I'm you going to try my best to describe everything, but I feel like I'm not the best at describing my symptoms.

I started a new job in August 2016 in the basement of a building known for having black mold among a ton of other issues. I experience some seasonal allergies, but I've never had any severe allergies. Around November, I started experiencing short, random episodes of my right ear suddenly feeling full. Similar to what would happen on a plane. over the next few months, this became more frequent and the episodes seemed to last longer. Around March, it was doing this and staying "full" for hours at a time. In May, I finally went to an Express Care clinic to have it checked. I was told that I had fluid in my ear and was prescribed Prednisone. I was also told to take a decongestant and an antihistamine. I was so desperate, so I got in to see a Nurse Practicioner at the Doctor's office. I told her I was starting to experience the same symptoms just slightly in my left ear, too. She said she saw fluid in both ears and that my throat was a little red. She prescribed me Amoxicillin and put me on Singulair. I was still experiencing issues.

I found a new Primary Physician and told him about my ears. He put me on Flonase and set me up to go see an ENT. I went to see the ENT with high hopes. She looked in both ears and said she saw no fluid. After explaining all my symptoms and situations, she said it was most likely inflammation of my eustachian tubes. She told me to continue the Flonase and to stop the Singulair and just take generic Zyrtec. I had a follow up appointment 4 weeks later.

Here's the thing - the ear fullness feeling doesn't happen as frequently or for as long, but it still continues. I went to see the ENT on Friday. She had me take a hearing test. News to me, but the test showed I have mild hearing loss. She told me this could very well explain the ear fullness feeling because it's the number one complaint she hears from her hearing loss patients.

Now, I trust her and respect her, but I just don't think that is what is causing this. At least not 100%. It's too coincidental that it started when I started a job in a basement where my allergies got so bad. It also happens when I do something as simple as yawn, swallow, or breath in through my nose. Also, it never happens when I'm laying down or it goes away if I do lay down. Lastly, I'm always fine when I first wake up in the morning. For whatever reason, it never seems to start happening until later in the day - like around 11am or so.

I just don't see how all of those things can be related to a minor hearing loss. I'm honestly thinking of getting a second opinion but I'm not sure anymore. I can't imagine living with this the rest of my life.

If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it!

Last edited by ShainaKay15; 07-16-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply