It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Sudden Nasal Deviated Septum.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
    Joe Loco
    (male)

Joe Loco HB User
    Sudden Nasal Deviated Septum.

45-yrs old male (little over weight), suddenly came down with symptoms of bad sinus infection, pressure throughout head & face, headache, difficulty swallowing, strange taste, dry mouth, and occasional cough with wheeze.
    Saw the docs and got all the meds: three rounds of antibiotics, three rounds of steroids, respiratory inhaler, antihistamine nasal spray, cough tabs, CT scan, Chest x-ray, Allergy tested, etc.
    From morning to night, have a throbbing headache. Told have a left deviated septum that MIGHT be causing some of these symptoms and suggesting now surgery.
    1) Can a Deviated Septum just suddenly happen without any prior trauma to nose?
    2) Can anyone else vouch for these symptoms? Make sense?
    3) Don't love surgeries, how bad is an outpatient Septoplasty? Recovery?
    4) Aware if any short/long term affect on respiratory system (explanation of wheeze, cough, shortness of breath)?

Any input to any of this helps, since now miserable without relief for 4 months! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2017, 04:52 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Sudden Nasal DEVIATED SEPTUM

\No, you can't spontaneously have a deviated septum. It's either congenital or caused by an accident. Yes, it can contribute to sinus infections because it blocks drainage to some extent. I had one repaired as a teenager (caused by accidents) and it wasn't much of an issue. Can breathe easier and sinuses drain better.

Now, how long has it been since this happened? Is the infection all gone? What did the allergy testing show? What meds are you on now? Do you use a saline rinse?

Old 11-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
    Joe Loco
    (male)

Joe Loco HB User
    Re: Sudden Nasal Deviated Septum.

But never had any prior nose issues or accidents. This has been going on for almost 5 months. Feel terrible every day, all day. Believe antibiotics took care of infection. But wondering which one came first, sinus infection or deviated septum, since no prior history.
    I believe there is now drainage occurring and causing my throat to constantly hurt and give me difficulty breathing.
    Have not done a Saline rinse. OK usually use oral antihistamine, Tylenol, ibuprofen, Tylenol, decongestant, antihistamines nasal spray, acid reflux, and an inhaler sample from physician for temporary wheezing.
    Allergy testing showed almost nothing, the basics, allergic to dust mites, oak, and Candida.
    Canít believe how common this is. But if this surgery will fix it all, I Will be first in line!
    If scheduled for Wed surgery, should I be brand new and ready for work Monday morning?

Old 11-10-2017, 08:10 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

OK, the surgery will do no more than open up the nasal passage. It will not take care of any allergies, drainage, etc. It is a structural thing only. I would postpone the surgery and get a second opinion....esp since your doctor isn't sure it will help.

And you need to take care of the candida before you do anything else and none of the meds you are taking will get rid of that.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
    Joe Loco
    (male)

Joe Loco HB User

Thanks. Moved back deviated septum surgery (septoplasty with turbinate at hospital setting) due to schedule conflict, but also due to extra symptoms now finding out might be related to Candida / yeast.
    So have multiple issues going on at same time, all starting from a bad sinus infection, and don't know which to point fingers at. After three rounds of antibiotics and doing some homework, feel confident I have yeast overgrowth in gut. My Primary care doc feels otherwise and put me on IBS drug (Dicyclomine) and Nystatin spit which made me feel worse within 2 days. Hope to get this under control before surgery. Miserable: Stomach cramping, bloated, difficulty swallowing, headaches, nauseous, dizzy. Plus trying to eat healthier, cutting out sugars and carbs!
    Anyone ever experience both issues as well?
    Worried knowing will get more antibiotics after surgery, right, making candida condition worse?
    Recovery time after surgery? If go in on Thur, back in a suit giving presentations by Mon/Tue?

Reply Reply