It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tubes in ears to solve Ototoxicity related dizziness/pressure?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
    mustang1984
    (male)

mustang1984 HB User
    Tubes in ears to solve Ototoxicity related dizziness/pressure?

Back in March of 2016 I took an antibiotic by the name of Minocycline that caused me to have a vestibular-toxic reaction.

For almost 2 years now I've dealt with dizziness and pressure and pressure in my ears. I've been through the complete battery of the vestibular testing, most of which is within range. None the less, I know that my problem is vestibular related. I have a lot of popping/pressure in my ears that I never had before taking the drug. The dizziness was also brought on at that time as well.

My dizziness symptoms worsen when I have this pressure feeling in my ears (Which seems to be aggravated by motion). This has led me to wonder if tubes to relieve pressure may resolve my issues.

Has anyone had success with resolving dizziness and pressure related to Otoxicity by having tubes installed? I am tired of feeling dizzy and nauseated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
    mustang1984
    (male)

mustang1984 HB User
    Re: Tubes in ears to solve Ototoxicity related dizziness/pressure?

To elaborate a little on my situation, I am very confident that it is ear related. I use the term ototoxicity loosely as I am not certain what part of my vestibular system has been damaged. Also, I have been down this road before due to another medication about 8 years ago as well. The dizziness back then was worse, but I never had any of this ear pressure. That is why I wonder that if I can resolve my ear pressure, maybe the dizziness would improve.

The symptoms started immediately (After 2 days of starting Minocycline). My ears appear to have a sensitivity to certain medications. I recognized the dizzy sensations immediately and knew to stop taking the pills. My symptoms are aggravated by movement as well as extensive visual stimulation (Like a fast-paced action movie or quick movements in a car may cause me to become dizzy). Dizziness is the main symptom that is difficult to deal with. It is definitely worse when the pressure in my ears is higher.

Occasionally, if I yawn, my ears will pop and the pressure will be better. Usually, nothing makes the pressure better other than time though. Sometimes, it feels like there is fluid in my ears. If I roll over in bed, sometimes I'll hear excessive popping. The same if I burp, usually my ears will pop. Originally, I had pain associated with the pressure in my right ear. Both ears appear to have been affected, but the right ear may be slightly worse. If you look up Meniere's disease, my symptoms appear very similar. However mine is pretty much to some degree constant and it was definitely brought on by the medication.

I am at a loss, and I'm tired of being dizzy. Any input is appreciated!

Reply Reply