It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• have headache and nose congestion. need to use correct medicine.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
    efang
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

efang HB User
    have headache and nose congestion. need to use correct medicine.

I got a cold 20 days ago, and now I still have stuffy nose and headache . This was rare in the past. I think I got the rhinitis.Now I donít have much mucus , the color is a little bit yellow, I used Zithromycin for 5 days from my primary doctor, but my ENT wanted me to try another medicine ( Mucinex + Flonase ) for 7-10 days , if it is not working, he will let me try a "strong antibiotic", I believe he will give me the Clarithromycin which he used to use, but I recall I had about same situation on 2014 and Amoxicillin could help , but once I uesd Amox TR-L CLV just one day late I got diarrhea and had to stop. I will ask Amoxicillin and hopefully he will agree. My primary doctor wanted me to do the Brain MRI, but I hasitate because I don't think MRI resault can add something, I still need to find a correct medicine to help.
    Any suggestion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2017, 05:51 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: have headache and nose congestion. need to use correct medicine.

I suggest Clavulin instead of just amoxicillin.
    I strongly suggest you take probiotics to avoid diarrhea. Take a good brand such as the Advancd Gut Health by Genuine Health....50 billion, one at bedtime 2 hours after taking the antibiotic.

I had a similar sinus issue that lasted almost 2 months.
    I didn't have an MRI, but I did have an x-ray that showed inflammation in the right sinuses.

I took Mucinex for 2 months.....plus Benylin mucus and phlegm, and Sudafed.. The steroid spray didn't help.

Hope you improve.....

q

Last edited by quincy; 12-06-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #3
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

Amox TR-L CLV is the generic form of Canadian brand name Clavulin and the US branded Augmentin. They are combination drugs of amoxicillin and clavinulanic acid which makes the amoxicillin more effective.

Ditto on the probiotic suggestion if you are prone to diarrhea while on antibiotics. But that said, maybe you don't need an antibiotic at all but a good decongestant. Behind the counter Pseudofed might help if OTC ones like zyrtec and allegra don't. Good luck and hope you're feeling better soon.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
    efang
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

efang HB User

I already have used 7 days Amoxicillin but didn't help this time, my primary doctor let me use it . my ENT doctor said he may let me try more strong antibiotic, I knew he may let me try Clarithromycin. my primary doctor let me do MRI , I hope I can wait because my copay will be about $500. I think MRI result should be "sinus inflammation" and can't add more, i hope I can do x-ray instead of MRI. I will continue use Mucinex and maybe try Sudafed to release sinus congestion, I hope at least it can help headache.

Thanks.

Last edited by efang; 12-18-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:06 PM   #5
    rebecca70
    (female)

rebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by efang View Post
    I already have used 7 days Amoxicillin bust didn't help this time, my primary doctor let me use it . my ENT doctor said he may let me try more strong antibiotic, I knew he may let me try Clarithromycin. my primary doctor let me do MRI , I hope I can wait because my copay will be about $500. I think MRI result should be "sinus inflammation" and can't add more, i hope I can do x-ray instead of MRI. I will continue use Mucinex and maybe try Sudafed to release sinus congestion, I hope at least it can help headache.

Thanks.
    in

Reply Reply