It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Exposed to loud noise - now have Tinnitus and pressure

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
    kdrymer
    (male)

kdrymer HB User
    Exposed to loud noise - now have Tinnitus and pressure

Hello all,

This is my first post and was just looking for general feedback and suggestions from those that have experienced something similar to my situation.

My name is Kevin, and I'm 32 years old. I unfortunately have been experiencing some Tinnitus in my right ear for about the last week and a half that was noise induced. I was being stupid and shooting pistols with a couple of friends and was not wearing hearing protection. As soon as I heard the gun go off I instantly heard ringing in my ears and I continued shooting the gun a total of 10 times (I know big mistake!). For the next couple of days I seemed to have trouble hearing in both ears, although my right ear was worse. As of now it appears that the hearing in my Left ear seems to be fine, no ringing or hearing issues that I can detect. The pistol was extended out from my body, to the sound should have been equal on both sides.

My right ear is more prone to earwax buildup and I periodically have to have it removed. After the first couple days I ran water through my ear in the shower (I guess in hopes it would stop the ringing) and it seems that since then I have a tingling sensation and slight pressure in my right ear, in addition to the ringing still occuring. I went to my PCP provider yesterday and she did clean out the wax buildup in both ears with a curette. She then re-checked my ears and said everything looked normal to her. However I am panicking again because I am still hearing the ringing and still have the tingling sensation inside my right ear. Is it possible that there is fluid (water) trapped inside my ear (from when I attempted flushing water in it) where it can't drain? I'm also wondering if my inner ear might still be swollen from the sound blast and that the pressure is increased, causing the ringing?

I've also noticed that when I talk, certain sounds seem more raspy, like I'm talking from a broken speaker, not sure if this could be a side effect of fluid/pressure I described above. I've also noticed when I have stomach contractions (indigestion?) that I can detect a very quick change in pressure in my ear and a change in the ringing. I've done some research online and found that this may be what is called Eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD), but unclear whether it can be caused by sudden loud noises.

The ringing does continue and I'm trying to ignore it but it's tough. My voice still sounds muffled when I talk. Just trying to remain optimistic about the whole thing, hoping that it will go away. I've made an appointment with an ENT to get evaluated in two weeks, but like most others am very anxious to know what could possibly be going on. Any feedback is appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply