It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tinnitus & Vitamin B-12

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-28-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
    Benj18
    (male)

Benj18 HB User
    Tinnitus & Vitamin B-12

Hi - I have bouts of severe tinnitus. I'll dispense with the drawn out descriptions on how bad can be, if you have it, you know.

I guess there are a lot of reasons for tinnitus but for me a mega dose of vitamin B12 seems to help some for a short period of time. By mega dose I mean 5000 mcg, 200,000% of daily value. [Is this safe?]

Stress seems to make it MUCH worse. All I have to do is think about something that I don't like to deal with and it comes back.

If I have a bad T day, some Klonipin to help me sleep will make the next day OK as long as I get up, take my vitamins and don't sit on the couch.

Sitting on the couch with my head back, within 30 minutes, major T outbreak.

So I do Vitamin B and Ginko, magnesium and Zinc, wondering if adding Grape seed oil would help... safety of the B-12 and the head position aggravating it.

Thoughts? Advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Tinnitus & Vitamin B-12

Dear Benj,

Are you under a doctor's care and prescription or are you self-medicating? Has a doctor examined your ears?

I am deficient in B12, myself, and I need to self-inject 1000 mcg twice a week to 'feed' my nerves. B12 requires being administered by injection into the muscle.

How have you been using the B12?
    I hope you are getting a doctor's input.

Here is reliable info
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-vitamin-b12/art-20363663

Old 01-29-2019, 05:52 AM   #3
    Benj18
    (male)

Benj18 HB User

Hi YaYa -

Thanks for the reply.

Over the years, yes I have worked with doctors on tinnitus. Doctors have given up on finding cause/cure/anything to help. I'm healthy. But they think it's a good move to ensure a good night's sleep with a very small amount of Klonopin, so they approve of it and write me scripts. (I'm not real big on using it during day, need to stay sharp.)

Some doctors have wanted to use SSRI drugs because of the stress part but that's depression medication, not compatible with me. For me those types drugs are not good. This is not a situation where SSRI is needed or helpful.

So - yes i have turned to just about anything that will help (including Trans-cranial Magnetic Stimulation), including several doctors. Have not seen an ENT lately though.

I have great hearing, always been very good, might be part of the problem. I get ear infections easily and out of the blue when I don't have a cold, bam massive (additional) ringing in the ears. Doctors never seem to find anything except very occasional antibiotics for ear infection.

So kind of yes to self medicating on this, but I have described I'm doing to a PA. It's just vitamins and minerals that we are calling "medicating."

B12 is supposed to be water soluble and 2000 mcg per day is what I have found to be to be recommended maximum for pill form (probably not absorbed as will as direct injections.) So, I appreciate the suggestion on the injections, i might try that to see what happens. There are plenty of places that offer the B12 injections.

I was doing 2000 mcg by pill form for a while and my blood test said B12 was not max'd out, was in good to higher range but not maxed out like 2000 mcg a day should do.

So I found a liquid form of B12 at the local drug store, this is what works (somewhat) for me, a dropper full in my morning juice but that much seems like a lot.

The only negative thing I've found on the internet is that really high B12 (5000 mcg per day??? is this really high?) is possibly not good for prostate, but I don't have one of those anymore (wonder why lol?) so, I wouldn't care about that. It just seems like that's a lot so I'm not doing it very often at that level until I can find out if its safe for me...

I agree with the caution not to do this without advice/consent of a doctor... good recommendation! The doctors I'm working with don't seem to be expert on "too much" B12, any shared experience would be great, thanks.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Benj,

You're welcome.

I am with you on studying and self-management since no one knows us more than we can know ourselves. I think it also is a good idea to get seen by an ENT person as you mentioned, plus to find a doctor to monitor and prescribe the supplements and medications that you need or want to try. They by far have the education to know when a dose would be dangerous or safe. Are you getting adequate Vitamin C for warding off infection?

Do you ever use anything to soften your ear wax and rinse them to help avoid infection? Vitamin C is helpful to keep the immune system up.

I couldn't guess how much B12 you need as an individual, but have read that that B12 is harmless. It is more likely that your body is not using as much as you are taking, from what I have read. But you might benefit more from it if it is injected. Mine is injected into alternate thighs. Others inject into the belly fat.

I like DO's (osteopathic doctors) as they usually are up on natural healing as well as medical. I currently have an expert endocrinologist that knows and practices way beyond diabetes (which many endos are stuck upon), who regularly looks after my symptoms, and prescribes injectable B12 as well as natural thyroid meds. I always report everything I am using or trying and he approves or advises me. I think it's very important to have that relationship with our medical doctors.

My perspective is this is my body and I know what I am willing to risk, and I know my doctors know things I don't know. I hope you can find that kind of relationship in the medical field.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
    Benj18
    (male)

Benj18 HB User

Thanks YaYaGirl!

Interesting thought on the DO - I'll give it a shot. My GP has all PAs now at his practice and I never get to see an MD anymore. Not so great.

I've read (on the internet) taking Vitamin C and B12 should be on opposite ends of the day, as C affects the absorption of the B12. Maybe the shots are a good bet to avoid that and get more C.

So the following is what seems to help me with a bad T day, with exception of the mega dose of B12, this seems quite innocuous. I have searched a lot on how much B12 is too much and have read that there is a toxic level of B12, it is very high, and as previously mentioned that its possibly not good for prostate, esp if there is prostate cancer.. On the hunt for a DO now Will try to post any thought DO shares with me on this.

1> Liquid B-12, 5000 mcg, in 8 oz. tart cherry juice
    2> Ginko Boloba 60 mg
    3> Magnesium 500 mg
    4> Zinc 50 mg
    5> Grape seed extract liquid 1 ml (in the cherry juice too.)

Have this with breakfast, take a warm shower and go to work. This really seems to clear it up for the day.

Not related but also daily D3, fish oil...

Reply Reply