It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Lump/Mass in Left Submandibular Gland - Swollen!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
    Swoosh60
    (female)

Swoosh60 HB User
    Lump/Mass in Left Submandibular Gland - Swollen!

Hi All,
    Here's the history with me so far ... hoping to get some insight as my typical Generalized Anxiety Disorder is making me crazy thinking the worst. I'm a generally healthy person except for Bipolar II/GAD since age of 30 when they didn't know if it was PPDepression when my son was born. Now very well controlled for many years. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones there, so I make sure I keep up with all tests (mammos, paps, etc.). I'm 58 now.

About 6 weeks ago I noticed a lump (somewhat hard but moveable) on the left side of my neck (well under my ear). Just noticed it, wasn't bothering me, but hey, I have grandkids so me and my husband just had a viral thing going on. Went to see my dentist and ENT. Dentist could barely feel/see anything, said to see ENT. ENT not too concerned ... not a stone, come back in 6 weeks. Well at 4 weeks, as I'm anxious and nothing was changing, I went back to ENT. This time he was a bit more concerned so sent me for an ultrasound of the submandibular gland (which is what's swollen here). It's just unilateral (only on the left side). Ultrasound results came back with oblong shaped 1.4 cm hypoechoic mass with central increased echoes consistent with a lymph node. Cortex measures up to 3.4 mm in dimension. No other masses are identified.

So it's just one lymph node. Have a call into my ENT's nurse to ask a few more questions. He did mention that if it's "evil" (meaning, duh, cancer), he would probably need to remove the gland (but that was BEFORE they found the lymph node that they now want to biopsy by FNA). Having that done on Monday (April Fool's Day).

No other findings on ultrasound report except Radiologist said if it doesn't resolve or there is persistent clinical concern, then CT of the neck with IV contrast could be considered.

Have to say I have fibrocystic breasts and when I was 41 and 45 respectively, had a bit of a scare as they saw microcalcifications on my mammos at the time and had to have a core wire biopsy (was knocked out for both) which both turned out to be benign. Now with these new 3D mammograms, I've been good for 13 years. But year, was I scared then, of course, for nothing. This somehow seems worse. They weren't seeing a 1.4 cm mass in my breast back then.

I guess "maybe" the good in all of this was I caught it myself and in the grand scheme of things 1.4 cm is to me somewhat small (although big enough for them to want to biopsy it of course).

All my ENT will say is it could be "borderline." Gee, way to make me freak out doc.

We do have a regional cancer (and other types of conditions) hospital/treatment center here within 30-35 minutes of my home, so if this does turn out to be some sort of cancer, there I will go for any further treatment.

No history of cancer in either side of my family except my grandma on my Dad's side had a brain tumor when I was 13 in 1973 and she was 66. Not a good prognosis back then.

Anyone have something similar to what I'm going through and just have it be benign? Or next step have to have that gland and node removed at hopefully a low stage? Anyone who wants to read into what the findings I put here also (on the US) feel free.

Thanks ... 5 more days of waiting. I see my therapist (for my GAD) on Friday morning so that should help me through the weekend!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
    Patientone2
    (female)

Patientone2 HB User
    Re: Lump/Mass in Left Submandibular Gland - Swollen!

My son had surgery 1 month ago to remove a tumor on his submandibular salivary gland. Both the tumor and gland were removed.

After some scary days, his pathology report says benign no cancer. He's healing well and there was no damage to the facial nerves.
    This is scary business but there really is no choice but to have it taken care of.
    Best wishes to you.

Reply Reply