It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Globus sensation, tonsil stone or something else

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-04-2021, 01:03 AM   #1
    Jimmysyd
    (male)

Jimmysyd HB UserJimmysyd HB User
    Globus sensation, tonsil stone or something else

So, it is a bit of a story, but I will try and cover it in summary.
    Basically, my frustration started on the 18th of March 2021
    To fit this all in I will write what known medical issues I have had that fit with this story, and it may help with the storyline.
    • Reflux, possibly more likely LPR type
    • Tonsil stones, get them frequently
    • Stress, usually because of my health issues as I think way too much about it.

I was eating normally and then I went to have some supplements after I ate, as I put down like the 3rd pill it felt like it did not fully go down and got stuck on the 'right' side of the throat. Now I have had this before and I usually take another sip of water and it goes away like a minute or so.

This time it stayed longer... Now I have had this sensation and when it sticks around, I usually go to the mirror to investigate the throat and see a tonsil stone sticking out, and sometimes none, I grab a pick that has a little scoop and check the pockets I can usually pop one out and the sensation goes away.

So, I looked this time and was able to see a couple of tiny stones, but after popping them out the sensation remained.

So, the first thing I think is must be more tonsil stones in there? So, I spend the next few days gargling and doing all the stuff that usually gets them out. two more on the left side popped out, but the sensation remained on the right-hand side.

So here we are over two weeks later, and I have had good days and bad days. Bottom line is the sensation is still there, but it changes.

Let me list the symptom’s (there are a few and it changes)
    • I do not have issues swallowing or breathing.
    • Can Feel like someone this pressing down the right had side of the throat on the inside, probably a couple of centimetres past the uvula down the throat.
    • Sometimes it feels like a flat pressing, other times moving my head it feels like a grain of rice or something like that impacting the throat and touching something on the inside.
    • I know I have gotten reflux, and sometimes I burp, and I can taste acid. And I get extra sticky saliva which I cough and spit up a lot at times.
    • Postnasal Drip
    • I wake up in the morning feeling bad recently, throat is dry, and the sensation goes to more of the middle of the throat and feels like a pressing knot, and the back of the throat, tongue and uvula are usually irritated cause of the dryness. After drinking warm water and gargling the sensation usually goes bad to that feeling on the right-hand side of the throat.
    • Here is a weird one, sometimes walking, the foot heel seems to connect to the sensation in the throat, strange to explain.

What have I tried?
    • Gargling with salt water, also Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in warm water for tonsil stones
    • Flushed nose with saline solution for postnasal drip
    • Nexium for reflux
    • Got Therabreath mouthwash because it is supposed to be great on breath and tonsil stones.
    • Neck exercises and massage

Sometimes it feels good like it is not there, but most of the time feel like something is lodged on that right hand side.

I am going to the doctor again in a few days and will see if I can get a scan of the next looking for anything like tonsil stones or something more serious, and maybe ask to see an ENT to look down there with a scope
    • So, it could me tonsil stones deep down
    • Globus Sensation also fits all the boxes
    • Or something more serious

Any idea, or it could be anything and basically need investigation?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2021, 05:48 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Globus sensation, tonsil stone or something else

Why not just have your tonsils removed?

Old 04-04-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
    Jimmysyd
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Why not just have your tonsils removed?
    I am 47 and the risk apparently are way too high when your older to remove tonsils.

That said I slept with my head and shoulder elevated last night and had one of the better nights sleep in a while. I am strongly starting to think that this is more to do with acid reflux. Because those reflux symptoms were nearly all gone.

Honestly sometimes I am stupid, I know I get reflux, especially the more silent type, why I was not sleeping elevated weeks ago just makes me look stupid :/

Last night I bought a wedge shape reflux pillow on ebay to help with the sleeping angles.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:12 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had mine removed as an adult...mid 20s...not fun but sure did need to happen! I highly recommend it.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:59 PM   #5
    Jimmysyd
    (male)

I am not going to speak too soon, but since sleeping last night with my body elevated to minimise reflux coming up, I woke up pretty good. Went for a nice long walk, which was not great, not because of the throat, but because I have not been eaten much lately because I wanted to avoid annoying the throat, and I did not drink enough water. Suffice to say the walk was good the effort was great lol. Came home and put some stuff under the mattress to elevate me even more. So far less thick saliva, and less throat sensations (I hope to god reflux has been my issue) because when this all started I know I had reflux but ignored it, maybe the throat was already getting swollen in part due to the reflux and I just continued to do everything wrong. And in the past week cause I was down, I was lying down so so much, making the sensation and reflux worse.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #6
    Jimmysyd
    (male)

Update:
    So my went to the doctors and got a CT scan, which threw up a few things.

1st - There is a Mild lingual tonsillar hyperplasia noted, (which I assume could be aggravated due to my reflux causing that sensation.)

2nd - which came as a bit of a shock.
    There is an enlarged heterogeneous goitre of the thyroid gland with retrosternal extension of the left lobe. So basically an enlarged multinodular goitre causing mild tracheal narrowing in the neck.

basically my thyroid is double the size it should be.......

So had bunch of blood test today and off for ultrasound on thyroid tomorrow.

Thinking about it, I don't eat salt and my diet contain little to no iodine, but I don't know will do the test and see if it's an easy fix or something not so easy.

Reply Reply

« Thick snot | - »