It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #46
    mjkb
    (female)

mjkb HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy recovery for adults.

Is anyone online today?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 10:52 AM   #47
    sheshe238
    (female)

sheshe238 HB User

Water water and more water.. I had to force myself to swallow so I could take my pills. He's going to have to stay on the pain meds cause they do work.. If one doesn't work, take 2, if 2 don't work, take some tylenol as well. Try ice pops too, i had once right after surgery and made my throat feel 20 times better. Good luck Let him know I feel his pain. I am 23 and on day 7.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:42 AM   #48
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

My family's first five days of recovery favorite food list:
    1) Macaroni and cheese, with ham and brocolli thrown in .. boil well.. then blender.
    2) Mashed potatoes with melted cheese and roast blended in
    3) Apple sauce and jello
    4) Peanut butter crackers (3.5 year old son's favorite)
    5) oyster crackers
    6) protien powder fortified milk shakes

You do spend a lot of time hungry and hurting.. but you will get through it.. as will your son.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 01-25-2007 at 11:43 AM.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #49
    caligirl18
    (female)

caligirl18 HB User

I drank LOTS (3Liters) of very icy water every day the first few days. It helped bring down the swelling and kept my throat somewhat numb. I actually ate OK. I haven't lost any weight. I eat (well, drink): ensure, pudding, jello, popsicles, minestrone soup with lots of pasta, chicken noodle soup (I really like the quizno's soup), cream of portabella mushroom soup and twice I made a scrambled egg with a little avacado and some cheese. It has good protein and healthy fats. Try that for your son. Oh, and serve it barely lukewarm. I also soaked pieces of bread in broth. The better he eats, the quicker he will heal. My throat hurts to swallow, but I force myself to do it. I also take some pain meds before eating to help with this. Make sure he sleeps with a humidifier. There are lots of other great suggestions throughout this board that have helped me a lot. I don't think I've had it as bad as some; maybe because of all the fluids I drank helped a lot. I have my follow up tomorrow, but I still don't know about this voice thing. Can any of you offer any insight on this. Do you have your voices? I mean, I just barely even croak when I try to talk. And, I don't try very often.

Last edited by caligirl18; 01-25-2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: add some items

Old 01-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #50
    caligirl18
    (female)

caligirl18 HB User

oh yeah, mac and cheese became one of my favorites. No wonder I didn't lose weight.
    And, by the way, I am 40 and this is the first sugery I've every had.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #51
    mjkb
    (female)

mjkb HB User

Thanks to all for your response! We are having to start all over with this recovery since he had to re-cauterize that left tonsil area, so I just loaded up the freezer with more popsicles & sherbet, and picked up some mac&cheese and even got babyfood sweet potatoes (he'll surely kill me for that!) but maybe a different flavor will help him. He just felt like everything he was eating the first few days was sweet (jello, icecream, popsicles, ensure, gatorade, etc) and needed something with some flavor. He did eat a few scrambled eggs the other night, but oatmeal was still too grainy for him, and using the blender for soups just didn't cut it. Oh well, somehow we'll get through this and I know he'll be glad......Thanks again to all!

Last edited by mjkb; 01-25-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #52
    cathyb67
    (female)

cathyb67 HB User

3:30pm, checking back in today. I strongly recommend a solid 2 weeks recovery at home. It will save you the embarrassment of hacking up all the extra phlegm that you're going to have. It's horrible. Tastes and smells bad. Myself, I found that the first day was much better pain and swallowing wise than now. Cold stuff at first, but now only warm stuff doesn't kill the back of my throat. I've had a regimen now for the last couple days of salt rinses. It's helping a lot! I'm drinking Tea. Tried Hot Cocoa but that left a horrible tasting phlegm that I had to keep hacking up. I found any soft foods do go down, but if you have too much, that's when it starts getting irritated. Good to take the pain med about a half hour before you plan to eat. I also use saline in my nose to keep that moist. The hardest time is at night while trying to sleep. I guess I breathe heavier while sleeping and this dries out the throat. I've made myself get up during the night the last couple nights and do the salt rinses. That has helped. This is day 9. 3 more days out of work, so I'm hoping it does the trick. I'll keep you posted. Oh, also, a steamy shower with the hot water runnning behind my ears down my neck felt awesome. Time to go have some mashed potatoes.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #53
    cathyb67
    (female)

cathyb67 HB User

Caligirl, I lost my voice for 3 days and it gradually came back. Today is much better after lots of salt rinses. Oh, and I've lost 11 lbs since 1/17. That's the BEST part about this!!!

Old 01-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #54
    doone56
    (female)

doone56 HB User
    Question Re: Tonsillectomy recovery for adults.

50 year old female. I had my tonsils and uvula removed and nasal surgery all on Jan 2. YES extreme pain. Vicodin and especially Cepacol lozenges for sore throat with pain numbing relief. I sucked on those things all the time. I lost 13 lbs in 10 days because I ate nothing and only drank all the time. (can't stand to look at juices or tomato soup anymore!)

Now almost 4 weeks later I have so much mucus. I feel like I need to cough all the time to try and spit of this stuff. Takes lots of water to take a pill. Food seems to have trouble going down. Again lots of fluids. Will this ever go away? And the back of my tongue seems swollen. I am seeing my ENT again next week because of this. I plan to get another sleep study done to see if all this helped my sleep apnea. Haven't used my CPAP since Jan 2. I'm having trouble getting to sleep and am getting depressed. Not sure if this is all part of post surgery. I have a hard time exercising now also. Have no energy. Has this happened to anyone else?

Old 01-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #55
    cathyb67
    (female)

cathyb67 HB User
    Vitamin Water Doone!

Hi Doone, You have no energy because you have no fuel in you. Just like your car, you need fuel to run. I discovered that Vitamin Water (found everywhere) put the vitamins and minerals back into my body and gave me a much needed energy boost. If we are not getting it from our food, we have to put it in somehow. This stuff is a Godsend! Try it. A 20 oz bottle is between $1 and $1.50 depending on where you buy it, but WELL worth it. Let me know how it works for you. ~Cathy B.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #56
    caligirl18
    (female)

caligirl18 HB User

I agree with Cathy, Doone. You haven't been eating so your energy is depleted. Plus being in such long term pain, it gets to you. My sleep is somewhat messed up because I sleep off an on during the day. I can't stay awake for more than 3 or so hours at a time.
    I guess I'm the only unfortunate one who didn't lose weight with this surgery Not that I needed to lose much, but I wouldn't have minded losing 5 lbs or so .
    I'm glad to hear someone else lost their voice. Not because they lost it, but at least I know I'm not the only one.
    Can't wait 'til this is over with. I am so craving something crunchy and spicy .
    Good luck to all of you and thanks, Cathy for the reply.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:00 PM   #57
    bunnycat10
    (female)

bunnycat10 HB User
    Re: Vitamin Water Doone!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cathyb67 View Post
    Hi Doone, You have no energy because you have no fuel in you. Just like your car, you need fuel to run. I discovered that Vitamin Water (found everywhere) put the vitamins and minerals back into my body and gave me a much needed energy boost. If we are not getting it from our food, we have to put it in somehow. This stuff is a Godsend! Try it. A 20 oz bottle is between $1 and $1.50 depending on where you buy it, but WELL worth it. Let me know how it works for you. ~Cathy B.
    Were you able to drink the Vitamin Waters from the very beginning or only several to many days after surgery?

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #58
    cathyb67
    (female)

cathyb67 HB User
    Vitamin Water

Well, I didn't "discover" it until a few days after surgery. I was reading the material (always geared towards kids for some reason!) on recovery and it mentioned to give your child Pedialyte. I figured there had to be something for adults, so when I went to the drugstore, I saw the Vitamin Water. I remembered my sister telling me about it last year and how good it is. I got it and was able to drink it and I felt better, more energy and hydrated within 12 hours. I started with the "Multi-V", it's a lemonade flavored one with multiple vitamins. I know they said stay away from citrus, but the Multi only came in Lemonade flavor. It was not bad at all going down, not harsh at all because it was just a flavoring, not actual citrus. I've been doing all the flavors with the exception of the Orange and Grapefruit ones. Even after I'm healed, I'm going to stick with the Vitamin Water as a permanent part of my diet. It breaks up the plain water a bit.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #59
    caligirl18
    (female)

caligirl18 HB User

I just got back from my Dr.’s appt. and I am healing fine, but I am NOT happy. She looked perplexed when she heard me speak and asked how long this has been going on. It turns out, they might have damaged my vocal cords during intubation. She tried to look at them, but I’m not very good about allowing mirrors, or anything, that far back in my throat, especially right now, so she couldn’t see them. There was NO way she way going to look at them using a nasolyrngoscope at this time. Even if she would have tried, I wouldn’t have let her. So, it turns out, my non-existent voice is not due to the tonsillectomy after all. She said I might have picked up a respiratory virus, I sure don’t feel like I have a virus, or my vocal cords are damaged. Arrrgghhhh, does this mean surgery on my vocal cords now??? If my voice doesn’t come back in the next week, I have to go have my vocal cords looked at, which means the laryngoscope.

Now I am beginning to think I should have just lived with the constant strep throats…..

Has anyone else experienced loss of voice? I'm hoping that others have had this and their voice came back.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #60
    bunnycat10
    (female)

bunnycat10 HB User
    Re: Vitamin Water

Cathyb67: Thanks for the reply about Vitamin Water. I really like Vitamin Water, so I'm thrilled to hear that someone was able to drink them after a tonsillectomy. Mine is scheduled in March and I'm trying to get as much info ahead of time as possible. Thanks again.

Closed Thread