It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2003, 12:23 AM   #46
    jammocah

jammocah HB User
    Hi everyone, I'm Pamela (23 years old)!

I had my tonsils out on June 9th (7 days ago). The pain is bearable with the meds. I'm still taking 2 Percocets every 4 hours, although I've cut down to 1 and a half pills every 4 hours. (I dont know many mgs are in each pill)

I usually time my meals with taking my meds too because the least pain I feel is about 1 hour after taking them. I have about 10 pills left so I'm trying to stretch them out as loooong as I can I think the military doctors here are reluctant to prescribe them but of it's addiction? I thought it odd that I didnt get any antibiotics either.

Anyhow, does anyone know what I can take when I do run out of the Percocet? I've read elsewhere on the boards people have been taking advil or motrin? But I thought you were supposed to stay away from them for a while (before AND after the surgery).

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I hope everyone feels better and gets well soon!

Tiffany - I found running a cold humidifier all day long helped a lot especially at night to keep the throat moist.

[This message has been edited by jammocah (edited 06-16-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2003, 01:42 PM   #47
    Will34

Will34 HB User
    I had my tonsils out June 10th, so this is 6th day out of surgery for me. The first two days were a breeze, I was having very little pain and I could eat anything that wasn't solid without pain. I even ate some scrambled eggs. Then on day 3 and 4, the pain started to get worse and now I have referred pain in my ears and teeth. Even that isn't terrible with the medication during the day. I had the elixir with hydrocodone and tylenol as well as pills with oxycodone and tylenol. But sleeping is horrible, the pain gets so much worse when I sleep that I wake up and I am shaking. It feels like there is a knife in my throat dragging up and down every time i swallow. The pain medication doesn't really help that, I just have to wake up and drink a little (which really hurts) and kind of lie still for a little while. It must be the way I swallow and breathe that hurts so much when I'm sleeping. I'm also almost out of the elixir and I have about 3 days of pills left at the max. If I would've known how much worse it would have gotten, I wouldn't have used the pain meds much at first. I figured it would hurt worse at the beginning. Can you get more pain meds? The bottles both say no refills, but I haven't been using more than the prescription indicated and I'm almost out. In the end, even though it is a bit more painful than I expected, I think it is worth it. Hopefully I will start to see improvement soon. I've always had big, swollen tonsils and they are usually red and get food stuck in them. My parents tried to get them out when I was younger but the doctor wouldn't do it. I am a sophomore in college now and I have 5 friends my age that have had this surgery in the past 3 months so it seems like a pretty common problem at this age.

Old 06-17-2003, 04:55 PM   #48
    jammocah

jammocah HB User
    Hi Will..

I have to agree.. It's worse at night. I have to sleep on my side. If I sleep on my back.. it hurts too much.. My doc told me to set the alarm every four hours just to take the pain meds.. I always wake up 30 minutes before my alarm though!

Yes I think you're able to get more refills. Just ask your doctor. I got 30 more Percocets today!

Having Lasagna for lunch now..

Pamela (Day 9 for me!)

Old 06-18-2003, 11:54 AM   #49
    jennbunny79
    (female)

jennbunny79 HB User
    Angry

ok, until I found this message board I thought I was going to die! I had my tonsils out on Friday, June 13th and all the information we got from the doctor was like "your child may play outside on the third day if the weather is nice". And after day 2 to continue on a diet of "fresh meats, fish, vegetables, fruits, etc." Yeah, right! I'm still struggling with the water! I have to microwave my jell-o so I can drink it! Well, I just wanted to say that everyone's posts have been very helpful and reasurring and I now know I'm not the only one who has ever been in this much pain. One question...the end of my tounge is numb. It has been ever since I woke up from surgery. It feels like when you go to the dentist and they numb you up. The dr's office didn't think this was any big deal but it seems a little odd to me. Has anyone had this problem? And just reassure me that I will get to feeling better soon and the urge to slit open the sides of my throat to relieve the pressure and pain will go away!!

Old 06-19-2003, 12:50 PM   #50
    jammocah

jammocah HB User
    Hi Jennbunny79,

Yes I had that numbing tongue thing too. It's from the surgery when they used a clamp to hold it off to the side or hold it up or something. I just know they used it clamp on your tongue. If you look carefully you might just see exactly where too!

Hang in there.. it'll get better soon..

I'm on day 11 and I feel great.. Still cant eat everything I want but I'm definitely eating a lot..
    Yesterday I had beed stew with rice for lunch and dinner, mash potatoes and gravy, beans, coffee cake, and bread rolls!

I'm definitely gaining the 7 pounds I lost the first week.. hehe...

Pamela

Old 06-19-2003, 12:51 PM   #51
    jammocah

jammocah HB User
    Hi Jennbunny79,

Yes I had that numbing tongue thing too. It's from the surgery when they used a clamp to hold it off to the side or hold it up or something. I just know they used it clamp on your tongue. If you look carefully you might just see exactly where too!

Hang in there.. it'll get better soon..

I'm on day 11 and I feel great.. Still cant eat everything I want but I'm definitely eating a lot..
    Yesterday I had beed stew with rice for lunch and dinner, mash potatoes and gravy, beans, coffee cake, and bread rolls!

I'm definitely gaining the 7 pounds I lost the first week.. hehe...

Pamela

Old 06-22-2003, 01:22 AM   #52
    reusableseraphim

reusableseraphim HB User
    Ok, I'm on day 21 and theres barely any relief. Sorry all of you people that are just starting! Hopefully it will be easier for you then it has been for me. I've lost almost 15 lbs because i can barely get down soups and boost. And swallowing just my spit is painful enough. I have to agree with the other people that have said it, ive noticed that it is always SO much worse in the mornings. Is there anyone else who has felt sick this long? I'm starting to consider visiting my ENT, because everyone I'd talked to has said that it should only last about 2 weeks. Please let me know, its great that this is here, I don't feel so alone!

All my sympathies - Tiffany

Old 06-22-2003, 06:12 AM   #53
    poreoilyme
    Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
    Reading these posts brought it all back. I had my tonsils out at 21 and now I'm 49. Before they came out, I had had strep and staph infections in my throat for 2 years straight. Yes, the pain is bad, but there are worse things--try getting a C-section and then having the afterbirth yanked out of you. The point is not what's worse,though, it's that this pain is the problem here and now for those experiencing it, and you do have my sympathy. It's not fun, but it is temporary and things will get better. To this day, I have never again had any type of throat infection, despite even being around people with strep many, many times. My immune system became so much stronger, the fatigue went away, and I didn't have to deal with yeast infections from all those antibiotics.

Did you know that people can die from strep and staph germs making their way into the heart? It can and does happen. My cousin had heart surgery twice from having this happen, has come close to death several times, and still is not completely out of the woods. No matter how bad it is now, you are literally saving your life by having this done. It is worth it.

Hang in there and know you have just done the best possible thing for your health in the long run.

Old 06-26-2003, 04:33 PM   #54
    kaykaren

kaykaren HB User
    Unhappy

I've just found this site. I had a tonsillectomy just 2 days ago. Even though i don't feel like sitting here looking for info on the computer, I had too see if what I was feeling was normal. And from the sound of you guys, it is. I'm miserable! I'll check back in a couple of days to let you know if I'm improving or just whatever I'm feeling. I'm not looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

Old 06-27-2003, 06:13 PM   #55
    Sean25

Sean25 HB User
    I just found this site as well. I'm glad I did, I had my tonsils done last Thursday (today is day 8). I'm having most of the same symptoms that y'all have.
    The first couple days were easy, then on day three through 6 I was miserable. The pain had gotten significantly worse, along with occasional bleeding, the coughing/phlegm, and ear pain.
    The way I get through the pain is with the Vicodin's every 3 hours and liquid tylenol with Codeine at night (for sleep and coughing).
    I cannot wait for day 10! I feel like I spend every day wishing the day would pass. I feel for everyone going through this.

Sean

[This message has been edited by Sean25 (edited 06-28-2003).]

Old 07-16-2003, 07:51 PM   #56
    caribbea
    (female)

caribbea HB User
    Unhappy

Well I saw my doctor today, and the surgery is officially scheduled for August 12th.... but I am TERRIFIED! I'm starting an internship on September 1st.... what are the odds of my feeling better by then? I'm also concerned about weight loss.... did anyone find that they gained back even more when they were finally able to start eating again? Any input would be appreciated... this bulletin board is SO helpful!!

Old 07-17-2003, 10:04 PM   #57
    dazex4

dazex4 HB User
    Caribbea,
    I lost weight (I think it was about 8 pounds) and it all came back rather quickly but I don't weigh any more now than I did before my surgery. Since you won't be able to eat well for a few days, your stomach will shrink (it won't take as much food to make you feel full, that is). I actually lost my appetite for a week or so after I was able to eat without pain. You won't feel like working out for at least a couple of weeks so expect to take a break from the gym if you are on a regular work-out schedule.

My son is 6 and he's having his tonsils and adenoids removed on August 5, 2003. He remembers how miserable I was so he's a little nervous but he's a brave little guy. Apparently it is not nearly the painful surgery that adults endure. My biggest problem was the constant ear pain. It felt like someone was shoving ice picks in my ears. I hate to tell you this pre-op but at least you'll be well-informed.

Another bit of information - I hated the taste of the liquid pain medication so I found that I could swallow a pill a couple of days after surgery. I was able to get those down much easier. Lortab liquid became a chore to swallow every 3.5 to 4 hours because of the taste. My doctor prescribed Vicodin tablets - he told me that they would work better for the pain anyway.

As I stated in a previous posting... cold anything hurt my ears horribly. I found warmed food and drinks were much more tolerable.

Just for the "glass half FULL" side of this... My two boys, ages 3 & 6 came down with strep throat AGAIN (just 2 weeks after my surgery) and I DID NOT catch it. Maybe this tonsillectomy thing does work!!! Time will tell, I suppose.

Pending any unforeseen complications, you'll be well enough for your September 1st internship, not to worry.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-08-2003, 03:31 AM   #58
    Newer Newbie

Newer Newbie HB User
    I just had my tonsills out two days ago, I was in the hospital in March for 4 days with an abcess behind my right tonsill. The pain I am experiencing right now is equal to the pain I had when my ENT removed my abcess. All of the above comments are scarring me about sinus infections and such, anybody know any good ways of avoiding this? Also as I am sure many of you know your tonsills are or were not really the source of your illnesses in the firsy place, your tonsills simply tell you that your immunity it down, by romoving your tonislls you have only removed what tells you that you have a problem. Anyone with a low immunity should look into "pro-biotics", you can find these at your nearest health food/vitamin store. Has everyone else experienced this horrible taste in their mouth, I can't even sleep it's so bad!!! Any reply would be much appreciated, thanks!!!

Old 08-15-2003, 05:43 PM   #59
    maw282

maw282 HB User
    Unhappy

My name is Melissa and I am 22 y/o and I got my tonsils out 7 days ago. Honestly the surgery was a piece of cake along with the following 2 days. I was drinking plenty and not having much pain at first. Days 3 and 4 brought quite a bit of pain within my neck, throat, and ears and frankly I was far from happy. I started to recover a little more on day 5 up until now but I am not in the best of spirits. I have a medium build and I have already lost 15 lbs in 7 days and I am miserable. I still can't really talk either. I was wondering when I can finally eat solid foods again and start to be able to talk without the constant pain? Ugh...

Old 08-17-2003, 03:22 PM   #60
    caribbea
    (female)

caribbea HB User
    Thumbs up

hi melissa (and anyone else interested in my little tonsil experience....)
    i just got my tonsils out on Tuesday (6 days ago i think?) so i'm right around where you are... and so far, it seems i've had a really similar experience. my first 2 days were a breeze, relatively speaking... i had the surgery at 8 and was home by noon.... then spent the rest of the day waiting for the pain to set in but other than the grogginess of the anesthesia, ended up feeling pretty well. i drank a fair amount of water and even tried some applesauce without too much of a problem. day 2 was pretty much the same... again, no nausea, no intense pain... definitely uncomfortable but bearable. i kept reading (i did LOTS of online research beforehand) about days 3-5 being much worse, and it ended up being true for me, only in that when i woke up on day 3 my head was pounding and grew steadily worse all day long. from what i've heard, that could have been the effects of the general anesthesia, but whatever it was, it was the worst pain i've had so far and i spent most of day 4 just being glad my head wasn't throbbing anymore. my boyfriend also came to visit day 4 so i talked a LOT, didn't nap as much, etc.... basically just overdid it in general... which made day 5 (yesterday) pretty rough. today (day 6) hasn't been too bad... i'm still having a lot of pain when i wake up from naps/in the morning... but i think my pain regimen (oxycontin 2X a day, tylenol w/codeine as needed) is working well. i've also been going through boxes of sore throat lozenges... i've found they sort of hold me over while i'm waiting for the real stuff to kick in. ice packs on my throat have been helping a lot too. i've found that ice-cold things go down the best for me... iced tea especially (real kind, not from a bottle).... although no dairy products really (milkshakes, etc). baby food applesauce (its thinner), cream of wheat, thin mashed potatoes, and even soft mac and cheese have all been good. oh and scrambled eggs with cheese, done very soft... almost undercooked. i've just been trying to get down as many calories as possible.... i'm a medium build also, but i don't think i've lost a ton of weight as of yet. drinking slim-fast and ensure are other good ways to keep your weight up... and they go down very easily too. anyway, i'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.... just hoping there are no more downs from here on out.... just ups!! hope everything goes well for you too!
    sandy

Closed Thread