It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2003, 03:31 AM   #61
    threetoedkoala

threetoedkoala HB User
    Red face

Pain- Something I thought would never hurt me. I broke bones before and never knew until weeks after. I am 26 years old recently had my tonsils removed and learned what pain is. I had the operation exactly two weeks ago in Israel. The surgeon did something with the tongue clamps which resulted in four huge open wounds on my tongue. So bad I didn't care about the pain in my throat. For the first five days I had to put some medical glue on my tongue to fill in the wounds in order to eat. Fortunately for me I have a uncontrollable hunger and I live in the desert where drinking is a matter of life and death. So I forced myself to drink at leat 4 litres/day and I ate food like eggs by breaking it up into pill size pieces and swallowing it just like the pain killers. Plus I took two different kinds of Pain killers (pills and drops) and only stopped using them today. Sleeping was the worse. I woke up every 3hrs from the pain- and would immediately down the liquid pain killer and run into the shower with the water on the hottest possible setting to burn my back and take my mind off the pain in my throat until the pain killer would begin to work.

After two weeks I am still talking funny, but talking. I have pain, but I can tolerate it without the meds (especially after I read that the meds I was using are only legal here and in russia and have been banned everywhere else because they are life threatning- thats another story). The last two nights I have slept all the way until the early morning- but 12 days of almost no sleep was not fun. I eat more and more everyday (Jello is the best). The more you eat and drink the faster you heal- so I suggest to eat through the pain- more pain now- less pain sooner! Also drink lots and swallow to retrain the muscles. Good luck to all those who are about to do it.
    If you can avoid it- I suggest you avoid it- If you can't - I hope it passes quickly- but plan on it taking a while.

Peace in the middle east PLEASE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 02:45 PM   #62
    LoriGymnast
    (female)

LoriGymnast HB User
    Talking

Wow, after listening to many of you after your tonsilectomies, I choose to try to live with tonsil stones. I can't stand having tonsil stones, but the surgery and the after effects sound like just too much to bear. The person from Israel had a super hard time, and I wonder what the reason for taking them out was? I'm getting use to the fact that I'll be living the rest of my life with these stones. Oh well, things could be much much worse.

Old 08-22-2003, 02:00 AM   #63
    tharedbalune
    Inactive

tharedbalune HB User
    i had my tonsils out 2 weeks ago (i'm 32). the pain isn't/wasn't so bad. i was released after a few hours and ended up in an ambulance after bleeding out & losing consciousness... but that's beside the point. recovering now but here's my question: i'm a marijuana smoker. how long should i wait to smoke again? (and don't say forever). i know the longer the better (ahem) but any opinions on when it's going to be "safe" enough to not run the risk of infection? i'd really appreciate any input. thanks.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:15 PM   #64
    lrex

lrex HB User
    I am scheduled to have my tonsils taken out in a week. I am terrified because of the 10 days of "profound pain" my doctor has promised. My question: Does anyone out there know what it is like to have this procedure done if you smoke. I suppose I could quit during the recovery, because I do not want to smoke if it will hurt or slow my recovery. Also, is it common to become nauseated with all the meds. The thought of that, and any subsequent vomiting combined with the pain, makes me want to cancel the surgery and live with my tonsils.

Old 08-31-2003, 08:29 AM   #65
    jasong

jasong HB User
    Hi Everyone,

Well here's my background. I'm now on Day 13 after my surgery. First some background, I'm 26 years old and my tonsil problems started 4 years ago when I was hospitalized for a week with an absess of my right tonsil. Since then I've dealt with all sorts of problems - things got caught in my tonsils all the time and every night I would push food particles out with a q-tip for fear of another infection. My ENT warned me this surgery was bad so 6 months ago we tried another procedure where, using a laser, he "shaved down" some of the crypts in my tonsils. Unfortunately, my tonils where just too screwed up for this surgery to be effective but it was worth a shot because recovery from that surgery was not bad at all - I recommend trying this as a last resort for anyone who is considering a tonsilectomy now. Unofrtunately, only a few doctors are doing it I thing (my ENT is one of the leading docs in NYC so I was fortunately that he tried it first).

So, back to the surgery. 13 days ago. I was able to drink ice water right after surgery (I was home about 5 hours after surgery). I was administered steroids during srugery to reduce swelling. I can honestly say that things haven't been horriffic (compared to what I've been reading on this board) so maybe the steroids helped. Anyway, I was definitely feeling a lot of pain but the percocette helped and I was living on them until day 11. On day 4, my ear started killing me and the Dr. perscripbed prednisone, it seemed to help.

So here's my question for everyone. After I've turned the "pain corner" and now things are just uncomfortable, I notice that everything tastes terrible. How long does this last for?

Also, the things I can eat now (bread, pasta, mushy things), get cought in big clumps in the holes in my throat with I then have to clear my throat (sometimes semi-violently) to get out. In general, my throat seems misshaped - my uvula touches my toungue which it never did before. How long does this whole thing last for. When will everything be back to normal and when can I enjoy life without screwed up tonsils.

Thanks again everyone, you posts have made me feel alot less alone and a lot better about surgery..

Old 09-06-2003, 07:20 AM   #66
    dazex4

dazex4 HB User

[This message has been edited by dazex4 (edited 09-15-2003).]

Old 09-06-2003, 07:21 AM   #67
    dazex4

dazex4 HB User
    Jasong,
    To quickly answer your "uvula" question.... My throat, post-surgery was asymetrical and my uvula touched my tongue. It looked like my doctor cut more out of one side of the back of my throat that the other, too. He had no explanation for me. My uvula took quite a while to go back to normal but it did. I can't remember when it was normal again - I had my tonsils out in May and now it is September. I've been back to normal for a couple of months at least, maybe more. It is all like a bad dream now. It is a long road to COMPLETE recovery. Things still feel differently when they hit the back of my throat. I haven't had any infections since surgery. Maybe this does work?!?

Old 09-06-2003, 06:21 PM   #68
    larger2day

larger2day HB User
    Angry

I had my tonsils out yesterday morning. after surgery I felt like I was going to die because of bad reaction to the narcotics today has been good I still have a catheter with dolac (a poweful painkiller which does not give me nausea) I had a nose job the same day a plastic functional nose surgery so I can't breathe through my nose and my throat hurts so much I just ate avocado and it got stuck aaaah what can I do now?

Old 09-07-2003, 12:44 PM   #69
    meowmix

meowmix HB User
    Cool

I am 35 years old and finally went to see the ENT about my tonsils which have been bothering me for a year. They are swollen and have pockets which as you all know collect food which is gross. He has me on prednisone and ABT to try to help decrease their size but he doesn't hold out much hope that it will work and surgery is probably going to happen. I have to admit I'm pretty terrified after reading all the messages. I thought it would be like 2 days and I'd be back to normal but it's not looking that way. If anyone out there can offer some words of encouragement I'd apprciate it.

Old 09-07-2003, 09:12 PM   #70
    larger2day

larger2day HB User
    Wink

Just dont get a nose job on the same day :S.
    I'm taking only a cold pill now because my heart rate was arrithmic with the narcotics I can handle pain very well but I hate sleeping on a chair. I also hate the fact that I can't drink and that avocado got stuck on my throat other than that its feeling better. First day was the worst I must say... oh yeah GO GURT helps lol also a drink called yakult. I hope i can get some sleep today.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:02 AM   #71
    alliegirl

alliegirl HB User
    Red face

I'm having my tonsils out in 2 days--and I'm getting really scared! My work is only giving me thursday through sunday off, do you think I will be able to function at my job on Monday? I have a desk job, but I spend about 75% of my day talking to people.

I went for my pre-op appt. yesterday and the nurse couldnt answer that question for me. Your input would greatly help.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:06 PM   #72
    ninety7gt

ninety7gt HB User
    I'm having my left tonsil ( has a lump on it so the doc says it has to come outta there ) removed tomorrow morning so I'll be thinking of you the following day. From what I've read on the board here I doubt you'll feel much like working or talking much for quite some time. I don't see how 4 days off will be nearly enough recovery time, try closer to two weeks. I'm 50 years old and plan on taking it easy for at least a couple of weeks. And yes, I'm also apprehensive after reading all the posts here about the pain and discomfort but I'm going to try and have as positive an approach to it as possible and just muddle through as best I can. I've had quite a bit of pain from surgeries and injuries,including jaw surgery which left my face swollen for close to a month and being unable to open my mouth wider than a half inch. I used to sit and cradle my face and chin in my hands and cry until the pain meds kicked in, so I'm hoping this won't be any worse. We'll see, eh? ;-)

Regards to all who have taken this path before me. Finding this board has been a godsend. I appreciate your candor and honesty.

Kindest regards, Sarah

I'm having my tonsils out in 2 days--and I'm getting really scared! My work is only giving me thursday through sunday off, do you think I will be able to function at my job on Monday? I have a desk job, but I spend about 75% of my day talking to people.

I went for my pre-op appt. yesterday and the nurse couldnt answer that question for me. Your input would greatly help.
    [/QUOTE]

Old 09-09-2003, 05:43 PM   #73
    jasong

jasong HB User
    Its now 3 weeks after surgery and I'm doing worlds better. No more pain, very little discomfort. I can east pretty much anything. I was concerned because as of last week, I had this terrible taste in my mouth. Now, things just don't taste "right." Diet coke tastes like water and sweetened iced tea tastes sour. Has anyone else experienced this? When does it go away?

Old 09-09-2003, 08:14 PM   #74
    mai_mai

mai_mai HB User
    You will definitely need more than 4 days off from work. Doctors strongly recommend two weeks. I only took one week off from work, but I definately could have used two weeks.

Remember tonsilectomy is one of the worst operations you can have as an adult.

You will need plenty of time to recover from the pain. Try asking for more days off. GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-09-2003, 08:16 PM   #75
    mai_mai

mai_mai HB User
    The bad taste in your mouth will eventually go away and so will the food tasting weird. But it will take a while. The "bad breath" I experienced lasted a month and I thought it would never go away, but the doctor reassured me it would in due time.

Do not worry. Little by little you will go back to normal and feel better than ever.

Closed Thread