It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2003, 10:55 AM   #1
    Tigernpooh2001

Tigernpooh2001 HB User
    Post Tonsillectomy

I had a tonsillectomy 3 weeks ago. They say it is harder for adults and I believe so. Right when I started to feel better, I developed a sinus infection. In the last few days, my left side started hurting bad. I have ear pain and I can see some blood vessels in the area where my tonsils were removed. I called my dr. and got a nurse and she said it was because of my sinus infection and it is causing the area to recover even slower. I know I am recovering very slow compared to most adults but has anyone else had this problem 3 weeks after a tonsillectomy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2003, 11:59 AM   #2
    cox_andrea

cox_andrea HB User
    Smile

Cheer up! I had a tonsillectomy November 26th and I am just now recooperating. I took a bad case of bronchittis, inner ear infection, sinus infection, and then I got plurasy on top of all that. So don't worry the doctor is right. It is worse on adults when you have your tonsils out. My doctors took my out when I still had alot of infection left in mine and it left my immune system really weakened. Well, I wish you a speedier recovery than mine and don't worry you will feel better once you get over everything!

Old 01-02-2003, 12:21 PM   #3
    Tigernpooh2001

Tigernpooh2001 HB User
    Thanks,

My body is so run down. With all the medicine and not being able to eat right has really messed me up. Hopefully my second round of amoxicillin will clear everything up.

Old 02-03-2003, 06:58 PM   #4
    RoyalPalm

RoyalPalm HB User
    I'm 31, have chronic tonsillitis (tonsils are huge and constantly swallowing grotesque tonsil pus balls, lots of sinus infections, sore throats etc..) and due to have a tonsillectomy this Friday. I'm hoping the pain is not as horrific as some people have posted. I've noticed most of the female posters have commented on how painful it is. Whereas, the male posters have said it was a breeze. I just read an article in Prevention that spoke about how women experience more pain than men because of fluctuating estrogen levels. GREAT! Just what I needed to read before surgery.
    My ENT has prescribed the following narcotic cocktail to ease the pain (I'm allergic to codeine): Dura-gesic pain patch and percocet. Additionally, he has prescribed Celebrex (which has show great results in reducing inflammation)and Amoxil to ward off any infection.
    I'd be interested to hear from adult females who have had this procedure done. Do you feel better since getting this procedure? What level of pain did you feel throughout your recovery? What pain medications were you given? And, I guess any other helpful information you can provide.

Old 02-03-2003, 07:49 PM   #5
    32skater
    (female)

32skater HB User
    I had my tonsils out when I was a junior in H.S.,
    and thought I was going to die. It took an hour
    and 45 min, just to do the tonsils, so he left my
    adenoids. It definitely is true, the older you are
    the harder it is. Although, I think you reach an
    age where your tonsils just disappear. Your body
    just absorbs them eventually. You wouldn't want to
    get them out later in life. All the malarky about
    wanting ice cream, etc., is not always true. I had
    to write notes to my Mother for about 2 weeks as
    I could not converse. I sympathize!

Old 02-03-2003, 08:19 PM   #6
    Penguin
    (female)

Penguin HB User
    My daughter had a very bad dose of glandular fever, she was so dehydrated and sick she was in hospital for 5 days. After the gladular fever she started getting severe tonsilitis, she would become very ill quickly and vomit until dehydrated and end up back in hospital on drips. She was 16 and had a lot of time off school. After her 4th bout of tonsilitis we went to an ENT Surgeon. He said that in some people glandular fever can cause problem tonsils. She had the surgery and the Dr commented that her tonsils were huge and she had stitches. She was home on the 2nd day, had a soft diet for a week or so. Since the op I am pleased to say that her overall general health has improved. She rarely has a sick day and has even put on some weight, she is now 17. I consider the operation a success and in the long run it is a better than being on antibiotics continually. I equated having my tonsils out with having a tooth pulled - its hurts to begin with but gets better each day. Good Luck.

Old 02-04-2003, 07:39 AM   #7
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    I had a friend (40 something) who had her tonsils out. I don't remember how long it took her to recover (and she is not around right now to ask) but I remember she said it was worse experience that you can possibly imagine. She said if her sister had not come to help her out, she never would have made it through.

My recollection was that she was out for a couple of weeks, so considering the sinus infection you developed, I wouldn't think 3 weeks is too out of line.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:34 PM   #8
    RoyalPalm

RoyalPalm HB User
    Luckily, my mother will be handling my two children while I'm recovering. I hope this is worth the pain. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Thanks for all the replys!

[This message has been edited by RoyalPalm (edited 02-04-2003).]

Old 03-13-2003, 05:39 PM   #9
    Upanova

Upanova HB User
    Unhappy

OH GOD! I really, really don't want to get my tonsils out!

I've been suffering bouts with sore throats, upper respitory infections, and sinusitus for overe 2 year now. Right now I'm suffering through really bad strep throat, I think. Both doctors that I saw didn't even do throat cultures on me, just wrote out 'scripts for Amonicillin and Penicillin. I'm on Penicillin right now hoping this will clear up this infection.

I've got a swollen painful gland on the right side of my throat. My throat is sore, and painful, and yesterday I did see some red swelling, and eating spicy foods, or drinking soft drinks is very painful. Swallowing is terrible. I've talked off and on with my doctor about getting my tonsils out, I've had an infection like this before about a year ago, and he asked me if I wanted them taken out or not. Now I'm petrified....I also have been having problems with possible alleriges and asthma. I really would like my throat problems to stop.

I still have my tonsils and I'm wondering if I should call and schedule the surgery or not? Will this help me to clear up my problems, or will it make things worse, with my declining immune system and all? I stopped taking antidepressants about a year ago, and this is when I noticed most of my sinus and allergy problems beginnning. I was on Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft for over 3 years...Now I'm sick as a dog!

Help!

Upanova

Old 03-13-2003, 08:03 PM   #10
    delrae4753
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

delrae4753 HB User
    I had mine out when i was 21 after being on antibiotics for 2 months it was horrid and the pain just aweful.But would do it again if i had to have had very little sinus problem since im now 49......best of luch with the tonsilectomy..........aslo the icecream dont work better to have sherbet italian ice popsicles .

Old 03-16-2003, 11:47 AM   #11
    tmf1981

tmf1981 HB User
    If I had the choice to get my tonsils removed again, I would NEVER even consider it now that I have been through it. I was in the most pain I have ever felt in my entire life (I'm 21). I had strep throat 6 times within 5 months and that was the normal for me... so I decided to go and have the procedure done.. it was terrible. They make it sound so nice about eating ice cream and popsicles but I couldn't open my mouth enough to fit anything in except a straw. Ice water hurt more than anything to get down and I had so many complications. The 3rd day after my surgery, my throat was swollen shut and I had to go to the hospital because I couldn't breathe and I was choking on my own spit. A few days after, a vein burst in the back of my throat so blood was pouring out of my mouth for about 10 minutes until I could get it under control. Now, I still can't open my mouth to let a spoon in so I'm stuck still eating applesauce and things I can put on my lip then bring into my mouth. I give props to anyone who goes through with this surgery, I can't imagine anything worse.. better luck than me I hope!

Old 03-25-2003, 03:23 PM   #12
    Dramaqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dramaqueen HB User
    Ahh no! Don't say that! Mine are coming out tommorow!

I'll post how it goes when i'm feeling well but you guys have FREAKED me out.

Old 03-25-2003, 08:06 PM   #13
    amyle28
    (female)

amyle28 HB User
    I had my tonsils out March 12th (on a Wed.) and went back to work the following Tues. It hurt really bad but it is bearable. It was mostly my ears that hurt due to referred pain esp. when I swallowed. But believe the Dr. when he says you have to keep drinking liquids b/c if you don't drink you throat dries out and that REALLY hurts!!!! My throat is still hurting a little but I feel pretty good and go back to the Dr. Monday for my last surgery follow-up. Hope this cures the yearly strep throats that I have had 5-6 times a yr. since jr. high school. (but I am glad that tonsils don't grow back cause I would never have this surgery again!!!!!!!!! LOL)

amy

Old 03-25-2003, 09:07 PM   #14
    Dramaqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dramaqueen HB User
    Thanks amy I feel a little better knowing the pain is bareable.

Old 03-29-2003, 10:23 PM   #15
    Dramaqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dramaqueen HB User
    Well, my tonsils are gone, and while I don't feel great, I don't feel too bad either. Surgery was on the 27th and I felt pretty yucky that day but as long as you keep up with your pain medication, keep drinking and resting, you should be fine. I've ben able to eat toast which has been good to scrape off all the stuff at the back of your throat. I find icecream and dairy really hard to eat as with freezing cold things but everything else is basically okay.

Chewing gum is good-makes more saliva which helps your throat heal faster i'm told.

Anyway just wanted to say if anyone has the procedure done it's not too bad-you will be a bit sore and tried but nothing too horendous.

Closed Thread