It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Regarding Post-tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2003, 11:55 AM   #1
    PerpleNerple

PerpleNerple HB User
    Question Regarding Post-tonsillectomy

Hey everyone, you may have seen my posts around about my tonsillectomy. Well, I am now 5 days status post........and wondering when these nasty white scabs will come off. My doctor said that is the worst part, and hopefully it will all happen in one day. Is there anything I can do to encourage the scabs to come off without causing bleeding or something serious? About how many days post-op did it take for your scabs to come off? All replies appreciated as I sit here and wonder when can I have a lovely steak dinner with baked potato again? 2 more weeks? 3 more? Aye, aye, aye!!

Jenn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2003, 02:02 PM   #2
    tennessee

tennessee HB User
    Re: Regarding Post-tonsillectomy

I'm curious to know how the last five days have been for you. Were you able to sleep at night, did you loose your voice, and what have you been able to eat?
    I am having my tonsils out on Dec. 12 and am very nervous about it.
    Any info that you can give will be appreciated. I saw your other posts on the Tonsil Stones page. I am having my tonsils out due to tonsil stones and years of bad tonsillitis.
    Thanks!

Old 11-30-2003, 02:26 PM   #3
    SNOOPYKK

SNOOPYKK HB User
    Smile Re: Regarding Post-tonsillectomy

HI , I had my tonsills out last year at the age of 30its true it is worse the older you are, prior to getting my tonsils out i never snored !! my husband now says i make a terrible noise from my throatsince having a tonsillectomy. yes those horrid scabs do come off mine took about two weeks and a year later i still get sore throats and wonder wether it was all worth it. i cannot understand why i still get sore throats ? obviously not as bad as before but i thought once i went through the op everything else would be plain sailing, ice cream ect for a few weeks. After my op in hospital i was forced to eat a peice of toast ?? the hospital told me to eat cornflakes and resume to normal food to encourage the scabs to come off and get back to normal - i had to have ' voltrarol' medication before eating which numbed the pain. good luck i hope you think it was worth it..
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PerpleNerple
    Hey everyone, you may have seen my posts around about my tonsillectomy. Well, I am now 5 days status post........and wondering when these nasty white scabs will come off. My doctor said that is the worst part, and hopefully it will all happen in one day. Is there anything I can do to encourage the scabs to come off without causing bleeding or something serious? About how many days post-op did it take for your scabs to come off? All replies appreciated as I sit here and wonder when can I have a lovely steak dinner with baked potato again? 2 more weeks? 3 more? Aye, aye, aye!!

Jenn
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]

Old 11-30-2003, 03:16 PM   #4
    PerpleNerple

PerpleNerple HB User

Well, before this afternoon the back of my throat looked like it was coated with a thick layer of mashed potatoes. 1 piece of toast later my husband says he can actually see pink skin or whatever and a very fine layer of white. Toast did the trick in helping rub those scabs right off. Better than big chunks falling out in my sleep right?

Cant recall your name now, but wanting to know about the surgery. The first 2 days werent so bad day 3 was the absolute worst!! I have been forcing myself to eat/drink because dry throat is not something you want and the more calories/nutrients you get in you, the better. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being just shoot me and be done with it excruciating pain Id rate it so far as follows:
    Day1 = 6
    Day2 = 6
    Day3 = 8/9
    Day4 = 7/8
    Day5 = 5/6

Ice cream and such is a joke, if I was you Id avoid dairy products like the plague, they make you mucousy and thats awful. I am a smoker, only about 3 cigarettes since surgery so I have been coughing which wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Ive gone from 3 tsps of Vicodin every 4 hours to 2tsps just bc I dont want to cold turkey it. I am hoping to be back at work by Thursday, even if its just for light duty. Sleep is the best thing for me, because it doesnt hurt when I am sleeping. My snoring has gotten worse LOL I have literally woken myself up snoring at night but I snored before (just not as bad). I also recommend setting your alarm and waking up in the night to drink water so your throat doesnt get too dry. I also bought myself some kids bubble gum flavored mouth wash, peppermint at this stage scares me, and that helps with the dragon breath syndrome. I havent decided if it is all worth it yet though Will have to keep you updated. Feel free to ask anymore questions, more than happy to answer them for you!

Old 12-01-2003, 06:31 PM   #5
    donna6626

donna6626 HB User

Hi All! I'm a newbie here and am so so glad I found this message board. I thought I was being such a baby after my surgery on Nov 25th. I am now on day 5 and have that nice thick white "mashed potato" coating in the back of my throat. It almost seems like if I could get rid of that....I would almost feel normal. I'm having such a mucous problem, I'm constantly running to the bathroom and spitting it out (which hurts). I did well the first few days with eating. I made frozen peach, cherry or banana smoothies with french vanilla slimfast and ice. I'm now almost not able to eat these as they seem to make my throat hurt worse. My room mate has been a gem and has made omlettes with ham etc and I've been able to eat them. Of course it may take an hour....but at least I'm chewing. I feel like I'm doing everything the doc has asked of me....but am still feeling so so sore. Does anyone have any hidden secrets???

Old 12-02-2003, 09:44 AM   #6
    seemariet

seemariet HB User

I am 8 days post op and still in a lot of pain. I have not been able to eat much since the surgery, but jello has helped a ton. Soup, mashed potatoes, and scrambled eggs are good too. To you going in on the 12th, don't be scared, it is tolarable. But do expect a lot of pain. Be careful with the pain meds too, I threw up on day 3 and that was not fun! I am pretty tough, and have cried more in the last week then probably in the last year. Just remember it will be over soon, and pile drive through it.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:01 AM   #7
    PerpleNerple

PerpleNerple HB User

Ok, for those post op people. I am on Day 7. Yesterday, I had Taco Bell for lunch and Dinty Moore Beef Stew for dinner. McDonals Hot Cakes with Sausage for breakfast this morning. Im not trying to rub it in but more pain now means less pain sooner, if that makes any sense. The thick, mashed potato like scabs on your "holes", get em off!! The sooner your scabs come off the better you will feel!!! To get mine off, I ate toast (buttered very well) Do this about 30 mins after you take some pain meds. Thats when I choose to eat. It only took one piece of toast to get my scabs to where there was only a fine layer of scab left. The next morning I had biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast and my left tonsil hole is pink No bleeding either! Its still not easy to eat, but you will feel SOOOOOOOOOO much better after you get some good solid food inside of you, I promise LOL. I am still in horrible pain every morning when I wake up after a night of no meds and sleeping with my mouth open, but, feel a lot better since Ive been eating!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #8
    guitarplaying10
    (male)

guitarplaying10 HB User
    Talking Re: Regarding Post-tonsillectomy

hey wats up this is mike im new to this whole thing well im on day 7 right now and yesterday i was eating a chicken leg with some rice and i was all fine yeah you no it hurt but i didnt die well any way i go to bed and i wake up with the taste of blood in my mouth so i go get my flashlight and i look back their and i have a bloodclot the size of a witches wart on her face (well im exatarating on that one) but im just wondering y one sides all mashed patato looking and the other ones all beat up and looks like someone took a knife to it and jabed it 100 times........is it normal wat do i do

Last edited by guitarplaying10; 08-16-2007 at 05:48 AM.

Closed Thread