It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• recent tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
    tsk_n_such

tsk_n_such HB User
    recent tonsillectomy

I am 25 and had my tonsils removed 6 days ago. I already knew that recovery for an adult was more difficult than that of a child, but it is something that needed to be done. My question, for those who've had theirs out, is how long before you could eat something more than liquids? I can't even manage applesauce yet. They had prescribed tylenol with codeine, which didn't help at all, so the doctor called in liquid vicodin, which seems to be helping a lot more.

i've heard of some people eating toast right away, and i don't see how this is possible. I'm just aspiring to eat mashed potatoes

aside from keeping up on the fluids, which i'm doing, what other advice can you give?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2004, 05:59 AM   #2
    ab123
    (female)

ab123 HB User
    Re: recent tonsillectomy

Hi Tsk.

I recently had mine out. Keep drinking. Stay on top of the pain meds. Day 6 was my worst day, the scab started falling off. Try mashed potatoes. Take small bites. I was able to eat mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs after day 4. But only right after taking the pain meds!!

Yeah, there was no way I was gonna get toast down!!

If your doctor didn't tell you already, chew gum as soon as you feel like you can. It will help the muscles back there. So eventually you can yawn. Trust me. At 2 weeks after, I was dying to yawn and COULD NOT do it!! Now at a month and a half I can finally get a good yawn in!

Let me know if I can help more.

Amy

Old 04-15-2004, 07:37 PM   #3
    tsk_n_such

tsk_n_such HB User

Day 8 now, and I still can't even manage applesausce, gets stuck in my throat. I can't really drink anything but water, everything else burns. So i carry my trusty water bottle everywhere with me. I've lost 14 lbs in 8 days so far.

I've never wanted food so badly in my life

Old 04-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
    KSKG143
    (female)

KSKG143 HB User
    Unhappy Re: recent tonsillectomy

I had my tonsils out about 8 days ago and I can't sleep for anything! I fall asleep at night for about 2 hours and then I wake up with the worst pain in my ears and throat. Im extremely tired and nothing seems to help. I take 2 Vicodins every 4 hours and it doesn't even take all the pain away. I JUST WANT TO SLEEEEEEEEEP! I also can't wait to eat a decent meal. I've lost 10 lbs so far in 7 days. When did the turn around point come for everyone? IM so scared I will end up like some of these people who can't eat even after 2 weeks.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
    HollyG3
    (female)

HollyG3 HB User

I had been reading all the posts at another board (or maybe this board, not sure since I didn't bookmark it) and it freaked me out so much I thought about cancelling my surgery. But I toughed it out and went under the knife on March 10 (almost a month ago). I'm still sore, but not so bad. They were right about needing 2 weeks off. I was up and around after day 7, but still uncomfortable. I had the surgery for a number of reasons: a lifetime of sore throats, asthma (the irritated tonsils aggrivates it) and most recently tonsil stones. Enough was enough and the doctor thankfully agreed!

The day of the surgery was great. They bumped me up from 1pm to 8:30am, thank goodness!!! Not eating when I'm hungry makes me cranky. I'm 37, so that's pretty pathetic, I know. After surgery I felt fine, just a little groggy. My husband took me home and told my 4 year old daughter to "be gentle with mommy." and told her I couldn't talk for awhile. That was really hard, and I paid the consequences whenever I tried to talk to her (oww!).

So day 1 was okay until I attempted to wait an extra hour to take my medicine (Tylenol with codeine). The directions said every 4 to 6 hours, so I decided to take it at 5 hours. BIG MISTAKE!!! You have to take it BEFORE you start to hurt or it doesn't work very well. The doctor had to double my dosage because of it. So day 2 and 3 I was very nauseous. I had to force myself to eat or the nausea would get worse (codeine was most likely mixing with the anesthesia that was still in my system, doctor said). I didn't vomit, thank goodness, but I had to lay down all the time to counteract it. I had trouble sleeping, especially because I had to take my meds every 4 hours. I set a timer. I had to sleep on the sofabed because I was snoring so loud. My hubby was gonna take the couch, but I wanted to be closer to the kitchen and tv, sometimes watching at 1am. (I got addicted to HGTV and the Style Network. I've decided I need to update my wardrobe and reorganize my house.)

I drank water constantly, even though it hurt a bit to swallow. But if you don't drink your water the pain gets worse--so drink it!!! Thanks to advice from the board I bought a Brita pitcher for the counter because cold water started to hurt after the third day. I started out eating apple sauce, jello and sorbet (they got old very fast and I got so sick of sugar, something I thought impossible for this self-proclaimed junk food junkie!). All cold stuff was hurting me after 3 days or so and I switched to soup. I was also able to eat Ritz crackers and graham crackers because they get mushy pretty quick. Stay away from tomato based anything!!! I was craving Spaghettios one day and hubby got them for me. I took one bite and it burned like heck! I was so bummed. My family tossed them out because they said they tasted gross. Even my 4 year old didn't like 'em. That's good since they're not the healthiest things in the world. I avoided milk products the first week because of phlegm (you're not supposed to clear your throat). But I got so sick of jello and sorbet I had to have something else. I got chocolate pudding! I was eating regular food after day 10.

The nurse gave me this ice pack for my neck! That worked better than the codeine!!! The pain in the ears is awful, but not unbearable. The ice pack worked great and I used it almost 24/7. I didn't have any problems, probably because I drank my water like I was told. If you're not going to the bathroom every hour or so, you're not drinking enough!

Hope this insight helps somebody the way the other posts helped me.

Holly

Old 04-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
    Magilla
    (female)

Magilla HB User

i'm new to this board also. i had my tonsils out a week ago today. days 2-6 were the worst thing i've experienced. i have not been able to eat a whole lot but i have made sure that i'm drinking lots and lots of water, if you don't the pain is terrible. that is why mornings are so painful. on night 5 i was TRYING to eat homemade chicken noodles. i thought i was tasting chicken broth but the taste would not stop so i spit into my napkin to find my mouth was heavily bleeding, i lost one of my scabs. it took about ten minutes to get it stop, pretty scarey. i didn't get sick that night but all afternoon the following day and last night my stomach was not right. right as i tried to lay down i grabbed the trash can and lost it. as far as pain meds, the lortab given to me made me nautious since i wasn't eating much. then i was given darvocet which still kind of makes me ill. i'm starting to be able to talk a little bit without feeling too much pain. swallowing is still not easy but is improving. my problem now, which i'm wondering if its what's making me feel sick to my stomach, is that my body is turning my saliva into a thick mucous. so everytime i try to eat or drink anything other than water my mouth produces this mucous when i swallow making me ill. is there anything i can do about this? anything i can take? i can't take it anymore. i want to try to eat but b/c of this i dread eating. any advice?

has anyone else had heartburn/acid reflux after tonsillectomy?

Last edited by Magilla; 04-08-2005 at 05:47 PM. Reason: forgot to ask about heartburn

Old 04-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #7
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I did a lot of spitting when I had the thick mucous. Also, Drink lots and lots of water and that will thin it out too. If you go to the first board on this site you will find a huge thread on tonsillectomies. You will find a lot of good info.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
    Magilla
    (female)

Magilla HB User

i'm new to this board, can you tell me how to get to it? or a link

Old 04-08-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I see you have found it! I hope someone can give you ideas. I see you are already doing what I suggested.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:15 AM   #10
    strangecookie
    (female)

strangecookie HB User

hi all...it's been 3 months since my tonsils came out and i'm doing great. just wanted to ask a few questions to anyone else who's had them gone awhile...can you drink soda? bubbles still make me feel crazy in the throat. also, all the weight i lost came back and then some! I wasn't too heavy before so it's ok, but just an FYI.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:13 AM   #11
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Drink drink drink. Chewed on ice chips and icy pops. I survived on saltine crackers mushed up in chicken noodle soup. I craved salt when I had mine out. Applesauce HURT when I tried it. Canned pears were okay. I just drank lots of water. And anytime I ate or tried to eat anything, I would follow it with a swig of lukewarm water. Once I was back to normal food I gained all the weight back anyway. I just didn't want to get dehydrated and have to end up with an iv.

Closed Thread