It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2004, 11:08 AM   #31
    Jessgirl01

Jessgirl01 HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

Ahhh!! I'm still nervous. I go to the ENT tomorrow for my final appt before the surgery. Hopefully he will put any fears I have to rest. I am dreading this so much, but I know that the outcome will be far greater than spending half my life on antibiotics to clear up strep/tonsillitis/sinus infections. I'm going to be ok. At least Sonic is close by so I can have some good slushes- I usually live on them when I have strep :-/ No cherry though, because it'll look like I'm bleeding. Hopefully Thursday will come and go so that this will all just be a memory. Thanks everyone for all your support. I will keep you updated and keep those tips coming before Thursday. Also, any what to expects painwise would be appreciated. Anything would be great! Thanks again!

Jess

Last edited by Jessgirl01; 08-02-2004 at 11:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2004, 12:29 PM   #32
    mfratella

mfratella HB User

I had the tonsillectomy on Thursday afternoon at a very good hospital in the area. I was surprised, however, that I was barely in the recovery room for 15 minutes, not even fully awake, and they were rushing me out. I don't know if that was standard protocol for this surgery (try to get you on your feet ASAP) or if they just wanted to get out of there (it was about 6pm).

Anyway, I woke up in the post-op room and couldn't breathe through my nose. The breathing tube had caused everything to swell up and I panicked. I soon realized that breathing throught my mouth was more comfortable. They asked what pain level I was at...I told them about a 9...a few seconds later...a little more IV painkiller and oral painkiller and I was down to a 4.

Eventually I went home and that night wasn't too bad. The next day was horrible. I was given tylenol w/codeine (elixir)...that didn't do much, so they bumped me up to hyrdocodone suspension. I don't know if it alleviated the pain much better, but it did knock me out. However, taking it every 4 hours for 3 days straight really upset my stomach so I stopped taking it last night.

I'm now 4 days out from the surgery and in the most pain I've been in. The only difference between the pain now and 2 days out is that now it seems as though the rest of my body feels bad too. My doctor said that my tonsils were some of the deepest and largest he had ever seen. I took a look back at my throat as best I could and boy oh boy....everything is white. It looks like a mess.

I haven't been able to eat anything, or even drink much for that matter. That, I'm sure, is contributing to my upset stomach. I literally have not eaten anything (other than a popsicle) since the day before my surgery. I have a horrible taste in my mouth. I have a fever (I haven't taken my temp, but am pretty sure from the constant awakening with sweat). I'm dizzy (again, a reesult probably from not eating). And if I see another Ashlee Simpson show episode on MTV, I'm going to go nuts

It's good to read that days 4 and 5 are often bad as well. I have had 4 other surgeries in my life and this is by far the worst. I'm sure it's well worth it come cold season when I won't get my usual 3 or 4 sinus infections, but right now, it's hard to look beyond the pain.

I'm 26 and consider myself to have a pretty high pain threshhold...but I seriously have cried during this ordeal. Thank God my mom has been around to help me out with Jello and popsicles Moms are the best

Old 08-03-2004, 09:45 PM   #33
    jaddz

jaddz HB User

You're scaring me! I need to have my tonsils out, but have been putting it off for the very reasons you are describing. Did you have a problem with your uvula giving you a choking sensation when you swallow? If so, how long did it last? I hope you feel better soon!!

Old 08-03-2004, 10:41 PM   #34
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User

i think the uvual should be the least of your worries. i hear its more of a problem in adults than children. it wasn't anything that i look back on and regret having the surgery because of. i just had to sleep on the couch, propped up for the first week. but it wasn't scary where i was afraid i would swallow it. as long as your sitting up, you barely notice its swollen, besides the fact it hurts. but if your worried about it sliding down your throat, and that kinda feeling, its not that bad.

Old 08-04-2004, 10:26 PM   #35
    Jessgirl01

Jessgirl01 HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery(Scared!)

Ahhh!! Tomorrow's the day. I am so nervous. I feel better after I talked to my ENT surgeon yesterday and he gave me some liquid Lortab(hydrocodone) which hopefully will work wonders. He also said I could alternate between that and Tylenol every 3-4 hours, so yayness! LOL

I go in at 8:30 and he said I'd be in a mouth gag for about 45 mins to an hour. He isn't totally sure if he's going to take my adenoids or not, but he's going to do the nasal endoscopy anway. Ummm, I bought some popsicles, push ups and ice cream today. I also bought some noodle soup and will be drinking lots of water(room temperature) Ok, I am off to TRY and get some sleep. I am just so nervous, I could scream. Keep the tips coming for me, I appreciate them!

I will update you when I can!

Old 08-04-2004, 10:37 PM   #36
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User

thats how mine went. he said he might take the adenoids. unfortunatly, he left them. i'm kinda upset about that, i would liked all that junk just gone. but i guess if they aren't giving me any problems, then i guess leave em. good luck. i'm goin on day 10 and its still pretty crappy. mostly cuz of boredom and hunger. pain has never been above a 1 or 2, until i added salt to my baby food. haha, big mistake. good luck and keep us updated. and keep that chicken soup cool, nothing hot. bye bye

Old 08-05-2004, 11:50 AM   #37
    mfratella

mfratella HB User

I ended up having to go into the ER on Tuesday evening (5 days after) for profuse bleeding. I felt like something was running into the back of my throat...thought maybe mucous. I went to spit it out and the blood started flowing like water from a tap.

Got to the ER and the ER docs really had no way of seeing anything, nor did they know how far the tonsils went down my throat. They called in my ENT. In the meantime, I was coughing up HUGE clots of blood. That was the scariest thing ever.

The ER doc thought she would try to shove a gauze soaked in some kind of iron solution toward the back of my throat to help clotting. It had to have been the worst tasting thing I've ever experienced. I told her to just stop it and wait till the ENT got there. I'd rather go into the OR than have that again.

He finally got there and was great. He explained what happened and how he was going to fix it. We went into the OR...he double-souchered and waited about 15 minutes to make sure it wouldn't bleed again. I had lost about 150cc of blood in the whole ordeal. And at one point, the pain was so bad, I almost passed out.

I'm on morphine elixir now and have been told by everyone (ward nurses, ENTs, PAs,) to drink, drink, drink. It is so hard to swallow, but staying hydrated is the best way to avoid prolonged pain and swelling back there.

Another thing my ENT told me to do is to make sure to get up out of bed and not just lie around...open my jaw so scar tissue doesn't form to a closed jaw, and even chew some gum.

I have to take another week off work now because this latest surgery sets me back to day 1 on the recovery scale. This has been the most painful operation I've ever encountered. If you're considering getting it done, please think about it long and hard and do it only if you and your ENT think the benefits will outweigh the pain. I am very tolerant to pain...but I have cried many times during this past week. I can only hope it's worth it come the cold/flu season.

Old 08-05-2004, 12:18 PM   #38
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User

well i'm sorry to hear about your ordeal. i had bleeding like that on day....i think 7 or 8 and it was scary. i didn't need to go to the OR, by the time i got to the ER, it had stopped. but i know the feeling of your blood gushing into your throat. god i hated that feeling. were you eating solid food at all? there is such a small chance of bleeding if you follow directions, that i don't wanna scare people. i've had nearly no pain the entire 10 days, and bleeding once because i broke down and ate pizza, haha. i think its a very personal surgery. you say its the worst pain ever, and i say i've had strep that hurt more than this. so there really isn't a way to tell what its gonna be like till you go through with it. but, i have a feeling that in a month, you'll be happy you did it. i know i will be. good luck with your recovery though. hope all goes well. few pointers. yes, of course, drink tons of water. try using a humidifyer. i also noticed the one day i turned mine off, is the day i was in the ER bleeding. its all about the moisture, lol. good luck

Old 08-06-2004, 07:12 AM   #39
    mfratella

mfratella HB User

No solid foods for me. My doc did say that my tonsils were some of the biggest and deepest he'd ever seen. He had to go down my throat a few centimeters as well to remove them. That's where the bleeding came from.

I agree with you...it all depends on how deep your tonsils are as to how much pain you're going to get and recovery time.

Old 08-06-2004, 10:07 AM   #40
    Jessgirl01

Jessgirl01 HB User

Here I am sitting at the computer desk. I just woke up from a nap and am drinking a strawberry milkshake. My mom is the best.

Yesterday, I arrived at the hospital at 8:30 am the time they told me to arrive and got called back around 8:40. I changed into my hospital gown and they came and took my temp and my blood pressure. Then they started prepping for me surgery by starting that IV of sugar water(there`s a fancy name for it- I`ll just make keep to simple terms lol) They gave me some lidocaine. A few minutes later, they allowed mom and Bryan to come back and visit. Then, Bry had to go to work so my mom`s best friend and mom were back there with me before I left for surgery. I also had to drink this nasty cocktail of crap to relax me and use nose spray as my nurse said "To clear out all the snot" They took me about 10:30 am and rolled me into surgery. When I got into the OR it was FREEZING cold, so the OR nurse gave me 3 nice, warm blankets.

My ENT was reassuring me everything would be ok while the "The Sandman" lol was filling my IV with fabulous drugs to make me sleep. I woke up about 10:30 in the recovery room and had a tube in my nose so I could get some oxygen. I guess my pulse oxygen level had dropped into the 80s and it`s not supposed to be lower than in the 90s. So I finally realized I`d be much better off if I could breathe through my mouth. The nurse asked if I was having any pain and I told her it was about a 6, so she gave me some morphine and something else. I was way too out of it to remember what else, but the morphine made me itch so badly.

After about 30 mins I was sent back to Outpatient where my mom told me what my ENT told her. He told her that I had THE LARGEST tonsils he had ever seen and that he didn`t know how I managed to breathe. There were pockets of infection, they were embedded(which required much more work), and he also said that most tonsils are sort of firm, but he said that mine jiggled like Jell-O(TMI, sorry)

I asked the nurse for some Ginger Ale and boy did that taste good. She also brought me some crushed ice and A lemon Italian Ice. Yum! About 1:30 they discharged me and before I even left the hospital parking lot I was getting sick to my stomach. We got home about 1:45 and from that point until about 9:30 I was sick to my stomach at least 10 more times. The ENT called to check on me and told my mom I had probably swallowed some blood during surgery and then my mom had to call the on call ENT so I could get something to make me stop vomiting. They weren`t worried I was dehydrated because I could keep ice chips down and they would be down, but if I ate a popsicle or something it would come right back up.

I had to make it ALL day yesterday when I got home without any pain meds, whew! I`m just glad it`s over. I`m very sore today. My tongue and uvula are bruised and I have two HUGE gouges in my throat. Yeah, this is the worst sore throat I`ve ever had, but I haven`t cried- YET. Ok, just wanted to let you all know I was ok, just in quite a bit of pain(which is better right now thanks to Lortab and Tylenol) I have heard days 3-5 will be my worst, but I guess we`ll see. I`m off to rest right now. Thanks for your support.

Old 08-06-2004, 10:15 AM   #41
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User

hey, good to hear your doin ok, lol, if i could say that much. sounds like the ENTs tell everyone thye have the biggest tonsils ever, haha. when i saw pics, it looked like they were just chillin back there, but when i look at my throat, i have these huge empty pockets back there. yuk, so gross. use a humidifyer, they help a lot. the one day i didn't use mine, that night i broke opened and started bleeding very badly. not saying you hafta sit next to one for 2 weeks, cuz i go downstairs for most of the day and leave it in my room. but it does help to use one while sleeping. i heard days 3-5, 4-6, were supposed to be the worst, but i think mine would hafta be 8-10, lol. i'm on day 11 and still have my scabs, still can't eat anything solid, and i'm still taking pain meds. man when will this be over. I NEED FOOD! hahaha, good luck with your recovery.

Old 08-06-2004, 02:21 PM   #42
    Jessgirl01

Jessgirl01 HB User

LOL, I think you're right about the whole ENT thing. I've been drinking tons of water, eating ice chips, drinking milkshakes, today I even ate a bit of chicken broth with a few tiny noodles so I could take my Lortab. I've also had two frozen coffees from the coffeeshop right up the road. After I finished vomiting last night, I feel much better. I'm still very tired, but luckily I can update from bed and surf the net,etc. Once I get the Lortab in my system it works pretty fast and I'm a much more pleasant person to be around. My scabs haven't started forming yet- when I look in my mouth it's just white and pus- like. Yuck.

My ENT did tell my mom he had to go far back into my throat to get my tonsils out, he said they had pockets of infection in them and that usually they have a "firm" feeling but that mine were squishy. Yuck. Of course I don't remember anything. LOL. Maybe this is a good thing. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in what I'm feeling. Thanks so much for taking time to reply to this. I hope everyone has a speedy recovery(myself included) I'll write more maybe tomorrow and give you an update.

Old 08-06-2004, 03:37 PM   #43
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User

the white gross looking stuff is your scab. i'm on day 11 and i still have the white scabs. they won't change much, but those white patches are the scabs when i was in the ER the other night, i stole a bunch of those wooden tongue compressors, hahaaha. so i've been lookin around, and i noticed that my scab goes like, way down my throat. further down than i thought my tonsils went. very interesting. i know the Dr mentioned to my mom that mine were really bad, but i can't wait till my post op visit to actually ask him about them. should be interesting. i'm sure you know, but make sure that you don't make the broth real warm. keep it room temp or slightly warmed.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:11 PM   #44
    mfratella

mfratella HB User

Yeah...the part of the tonsil you see is only the tip of the iceberg. There are vessels (blood and lymph) that act as roots that also have to be removed...so that's why you see it going down your throat too.

Jesse, I'm glad they kept you in recovery for an extended period of time. They rushed me out before I was even awake...just so they could get off their shift on time. I'm also glad you seem to be doing so well.

Yeah, keep the broth warm, but not hot. And watch out for any salt in the broth too...it'll burn like hell. Slurpees work well too. The key is just not to get dehydrated.

Mario, day 11 and you're still hurting? Did you have any additional bleeding?

Old 08-06-2004, 05:24 PM   #45
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User

i was bleeding for about 10 min on day 8, but by the time i got to the ER, it was done. thats about it. right now, if i look in my throat, i see the full scabs, red around them, and some little pink patches in the scabs. god, i am really needing some food, haha. i hope these dang things fall off soon. i'm pushin 2 weeks with no solid food.

Closed Thread