It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2004, 10:03 AM   #706
    nlh4msu

nlh4msu HB User
    Re: !

Hi all. I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I went almost 24 hours without a pain pill. I had to take one last night because the pain was awful. Yesterday wore me out; getting dressed and wearing make-up for the first time in almost a week and a half. I was able to eat a little turkey and sweet potatoes, but I think it might have been to harsh on my throat. My right ear is still hurting. I guess it is because the right side of my throat hurts so much more than the left. My husband said that it looks like the scabs are starting to come off. I hope so. I am so tired of hurting. I want to make it today with only Motrin. This is so depressing!! Normally, I am out shopping.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2004, 10:27 AM   #707
    minmin630
    (female)

minmin630 HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

Hi everybody I hope everybody had a great holiday. I too went almost 24 hours with out pain medicine which is a shocker to me because I am only on day 5 of Recovery counting my Surgery date of Wednesday. It wore me out as well to get up the last 2 days and shower and do my hair and make-up and be a functioning person after 2 days of laying around in the same ol' pajamas. I feel every lucky that the pain ain't completely unbearable for day 5 I hear so may people say that day 5 was dreadful but not for me ... atleast not yet. I am still in a little discomfort My left side ear and throat hurt...however my right is doing fine. I think I over did it as well with the talking ever since I got my voice back I have been talking up a storm and I think that was my biggest mistake because I do find that my throat becaomes very raw and sore after talking. So I think I am gonna take it easy today and sit around in my pajamas,slippers and warm robe and watch movies all day and rest my voice. Dixieduke you should be ok by the time you return to work. I will be going back to work on the 29th just 7 days after My Surgery and I do alot of talking and right now don't seem to worried that so u shouldn't be to worried either I think u will be fine by the 3rd!

Last edited by minmin630; 12-26-2004 at 10:26 PM.

Old 12-26-2004, 04:38 PM   #708
    minmin630
    (female)

minmin630 HB User

I have been able to eat soft foods and am only on Recovery day 5 if you include the day I had my Surgery. Since having my Surgery I have been bale to eat some soft foods. Yesterday I ate some shrimp cocktail,mashed potatoes,stuffing and scrambled eggs and even a few cookies. I do feel very sorry that you are on day 9 and unable to eat...that must really stink. Well I do get that little cough and it stinks I do feel like I am gonna irritate my scabs but there really is nothing that I can do. I was also Asthmatic so they gave me prednisone to prevent the cough but that still ain't helping me. I also have just recently experienced the pain in my inner left ear and that hurts really bad and nothing will help. I am just gonna tough through the pain and hope that It will go away...well I hope that your pain subsides. Oh and yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel hopefully you can start to eat adnd that will help with the recovery. Well hope everybody is coming along and everything goes well!

Old 12-26-2004, 05:37 PM   #709
    strangecookie
    (female)

strangecookie HB User

Hi all...i'm about 30 hours pre-surgery! 32 year old female who's been reading your entries for months... I'm also quitting smoking and getting a nasal antral window put in to drain some cyst thing.

I've got popsickes, shakes, pudding, soups and protein powder drinks on hand. My boyfriend plans to come stay with me for a few days which i hope won't be necessary.

Thank you to everyone for telling your stories.

Old 12-26-2004, 05:42 PM   #710
    nlh4msu

nlh4msu HB User

I completely understand how you feel. I have been very shaky since I haven't taken any pain meds in almost 24 hours. I am taking Motrin every 3-4 hours, however it gives me little relief. My throat is hurting a lot, as well as my left ear. I thought by now that I would be at least 90% better. I have slept most of the day today. It is getting very old.

Old 12-26-2004, 05:42 PM   #711
    kristi32
    (female)

kristi32 HB User
    Red face Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

Hi
    I've just been reading up on some of your experiences with having your tonsils removed. My tonsils were removed three weeks ago, so today is day 21 - i have been eating solids pretty much since day 2 despite the pain, as i was advised to eat them asap to help scratch away at the scab that forms - this then prevents bleeding. This worked for me as i have not had any bleeding whatsoever. However it still hurts to swallow and talk (particularly on my right side) at day 21 despite the ENT telling me i would be better by now!! My throat is still red at the tonsil site and it looks like there's some tissue that's grown there (like my tonsils have grown back!) + a small amount of scabbing still on the right side. How long has the pain lasted for most of you?

Old 12-26-2004, 08:00 PM   #712
    momto5littles
    (female)

momto5littles HB User

This is day 7 for me. I woke up feeling not too bad, thinking I was over the worst of it. Wrong. This day has probably been the worst so far. I wasn't able to *eat* anything today. I slurped broth and tea, and that's it. Cold stuff REALLY gave me an achiness in my throat I haven't experienced before. So, no more cold stuff for me. The warmth of the tea and soup seem to relieve my pain a bit.

Last night I slept the most hours (four hours at once) that I have since my surgery. Maybe that's why I woke up feeling not too badly...becasue I had rested well. I truly hope tomorrow is a turn for the better. My husband is staying home, and working from home. I'm grateful he can choose to do that with his job.

I have five kiddies to take care of, and I've been useless all week long...literally been in bed the whole time, and I doubt I'd be able to care for them by myself tomorrow. I can't even talk. that was another thing today... I was not able to talk at all. well, I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel soon.

On a good note, my recovery still isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I havne't thrown up at all, and I've had no bleeding. Always something to be thankful for!

Old 12-26-2004, 10:06 PM   #713
    rajaraja1
    (female)

rajaraja1 HB User

merry post x-mas to all!!!

thanks for all the responses regarding if i should cut my portions of food pre-surgery. i took your advice and have been eating it up the past few days!!!!

the x-mas eve dinner i made for my family and my boyfriend's family(its the first time the two families met) was a success and i stuffed my face.

its count down time... count down to d-day.. jan 6th..

my surgery is scheduled for 6pm..and i have to be there at 4pm..

how long were you all at the hopital after surgery?

Old 12-26-2004, 10:25 PM   #714
    minmin630
    (female)

minmin630 HB User
    Smile Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

Hey guys I am on day 5 and believe it or not It has been going pretty good for me. Like Kristi 32 said I ate soft solids since day 3 of my recovery and have experienced no bleeding and not really feeling scabbing in my mouth. I do still throw some popsicles and icecream and jello in to the mix to help soothe the throat. I have been able to sleep a full 8 hours which is great because I was unable to do that the first 2 days after and a couple days before surgery. I have stopped taking my pain meds faithfully I was prescribed Tylenol 3 (liquid of course) I use to take it every 3 hours and now I am down to once in the morning and once at night. I however have had some weird side effects since doing that I have had some dizziness and shakes is anybody else who is gradually being weined off the meds experiencing this? Well I am still not fully healed I have a little bit of scabbing on the left side of my throat and have a earache on the left side as well. I am writing this because so far over all this has not been as bad of a experience as I anticipated...I say so far because I am fully aware that this is a long healing process and that the worse may be yet to come but I am just trying to stay optimistic. Well to those of you having the Surgery soon I want to say good luck and things will be ok. To those of you who are trying to recover I hope that you guys are feeling better and that the recovery process is going as well as mine has!

RajaRaja1- I had Surgery at 7:30 in the morning (but had to check in by 6:00 a.m.) and was discharged by 12:00 in the afternoon. I was there a total of 6 hours but that was with registering,Surgery and Recovery and then some down time. Oh yea plus I am a asthmatic going in to Surgery and had a hard time breathing following the anesthesia and was on a lot of Oxygen (nasal cannula and the mask that goes over your mouth and and nose) so they kept me longer to monitor that... you shouldn't be at the Hospital that long...Well good luck and stay positive all will go well~

Last edited by minmin630; 12-27-2004 at 11:24 AM.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:08 PM   #715
    LouisianaChic
    (female)

LouisianaChic HB User
    Question Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

Hi, all!
    First, I want to thank everyone for their posts. I wish I would have found this site before my surgery. I had my surgery on 12/20 and my body feels fine, except a need for more sleep! The reason I'm writing is that I'm still feeling discomfort when I eat and drink. It really hurts! How long should this last?
    Also, I've been reading about scabs forming? What do these look like? The only familiarity I have with scabs are scabs on my knees and I'm thinking that wet scabs look different. Can someone help me?
    Again, thanks for everyone's posts! I wish those of you who haven't had their surgery yet, the best of luck! My prayers are with you!

Carol

Old 12-26-2004, 11:42 PM   #716
    momto5littles
    (female)

momto5littles HB User

Louisianachick,
    Hi, I had surgery the same day as you. I'm almost 32 years old. If you go back a few pages in this thread, you can see I've left my "diary" each day of my recovery.

As you'll read, I am still not recovered. I feel worse today than I did the day after my surgery. The first three days went by VERY well. I was thinking, "this is a peice of cake!". Well, after day three, it went down hill. The whole thing is still not as bad as I thought it would be though. Only a few times did I think it was worse than strep. Anyway, today I could only drink, I couldn't even eat soft foods. So, to answer your question, I think it's normal. I have no idea what the scabs look like, because I don't care to see them myself. I haven't even looked at my throat... it would just grosse me out.

Well, hope both of us feel better tomorrow!

Old 12-26-2004, 11:58 PM   #717
    rajaraja1
    (female)

rajaraja1 HB User

minmin630- thanks for the words...
    i am trying to stay positive..i hope not to go into surgery with dreed and stress

starting tomorrow i will up the days i do pilates and i'll keep eating.. but i'll just really up the health factor

i already borrowed 30+ dvds from my good friend who we call the mayor of los angeles because he gets hooked up with everything.

did anyone get a massage the day before surgery?

Old 12-27-2004, 12:02 AM   #718
    rajaraja1
    (female)

rajaraja1 HB User

oo and good to know that we are all around the same age here.. i'm 30

i believe i might have posted this already but just in case..
    my best friend had her tonsillectomy last novemeber the same time my doctor was considering surgery for me. she was out for 3 weeks and hated every minute of it. she told me that if i could wait it out.. not to opt for surgery. fast forward a year later and she told me that it was all SOOOO WORTH IT!!! she hasn't been sick as often and super happy not to deal with food particles getting stuck in those tonsil caves that some of us have.

so.. it gives me hope

thanks everyone for sharing

Old 12-27-2004, 01:26 PM   #719
    Anarchist

Anarchist HB User

The tonsil thread has started again here:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=236357

Closed Thread