It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2004, 03:26 PM   #1
    go_troops
    (female)

go_troops HB User
    Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

I found many posts regarding tonsillectomy and decided I would start my own thread. Just by visiting this site I have realized that the surgery is much more common in adults than I had thought! That is helpful to know -- takes the anxiety level down just a notch!

I am scheduled to have my tonsils and adenoids removed a little under one week from now on Monday 26 April 2004. I have been very afraid as I dont know what to expect and especially because of the location of the surgery. You use your throat for a lot of things -- its scary to imagine what could happen.

Before I tell you more about my story let me give you my background. Im a 20 year old female from Washington state. For the last 3 years or so I have had Chronic Tonsillitis. I finally went to an ENT -- Jeffery Adams at the Everett Clinic -- hes a GREAT doctor and I highly recommend him! Well my first visit with him was almost a month ago and thats when I also scheduled my appointment. My grandma is a nurse and has been pushing me to get this done so I am finally doing it, having faith that I will feel unimaginably better after its all done with!

About five days ago I started having extreme pain in my lower left jaw. I knew it was because my wisdom tooth was trying to come in. My wisdom teeth are impacted and I have been told for a few years that I need to get them out because they are coming in sideways and pushing on my other teeth. Well the pain was severe and over the weekend is was more than I could take anymore. My cheek and the tissue around the tooth were swollen and painful and I had had it. I finally was able to get into my dentist on Monday morning (yesterday) and he told me it was slightly infected. He advised that I have my wisdom teeth removed as soon as I possibly could -- he wanted to get me in this week! When I informed him I am scheduled for my tonsils to be removed one week from now he changed his mind pretty quickly! He told me to contact my surgeon because the infection could complicate things and he put me on antibiotics.

I called Dr. Adams' nurse and she told me she would talk with the doctor about it but chances didnt look good that I would be going in for surgery next monday. She told me to call her on Thursday and let her know how it was going and than we would decide. A few hours later she called back, said she talked with the doctor and he advised against surgery at this time, just in case the infection happened to spread to my surgery site.

As of now I am on the antibiotics and yesterday I slept alot and just felt plain aweful. Today I woke up quite late but found I was feeling a bit better so I went to work. At work I felt fairly fine and I feel like my infection is starting to go away. The pain is hardly noticable anymore and the swelling has gone down considerably. I will find out for sure by the end of the week if I will be having my surgery next Monday or not. Ive prepared myself for it and Ive already taken the time off work as well has my fiancee. But I dont want to risk anything happening.

As far as the surgery in general, I am quite nervous about it. I just keep telling myself that once its all over and done with I will feel so much better. Having my tonsils infected all the time is just a drag. I feel so tired and just blah most of the time. Its not a fun way to live. I know its going to be a long road to recovery and its going to be a difficult one at that, but I have a wonderful support system and I know I will be very well taken care of, especially by my extra special kitty cat, Milo . I will keep you all informed about whats going on for me.

Let me know about your experiences as well -- this is a serious thing for adults and it can be scary too. As much information as we can share with each other, the better. Good luck to anyone else facing this too!!

Last edited by go_troops; 04-20-2004 at 03:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

how did your surgery go? i am having the same surgery one week from thursday. i'm 21, so i had the same questions like i'm sure you were having. argh, i really don't want it, lol. but i think the same way you do, that the loss of 5 tonsil infections a year will be soooo much better. i am forcing myself to have it, just cuz i know that in 2 months, i'll look back and be real glad i had it done. well lemme know how it went.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:22 PM   #3
    go_troops
    (female)

go_troops HB User

Well, I checked back with my surgeons nurse and she said the Dr. doesnt want to risk the surgery at this time. Being that the surgery and the tooth infection I had will be so close together, they want to make sure I am completely healed before they go about risking anything. So my surgery has been rescheduled for NEXT Monday -- the 3rd of May. I am glad it wasnt yesterday, but at the same time, I still have to go thru all this nervousness and anxiety for another week. Im very afraid of what its going to be like -- Ive never done anything like this. But I have faith that they know what they are doing and just like everyone else, I will feel so much better when its all said and done.

Mario -- Im sorry to hear you have to go thru the surgery too! I hear its rough! But we will be doing this pretty much together. I will only be a few days ahead of you. I will let you know how it goes as soon as I am able to get up and get back on the computer! Im hopeing for a quick recovery! The infections are really no fun, I feel your pain, seriously! I think it will all work out great tho.

I spoke with the VP of my company yesterday -- he had heard I was having the surgery. He said his wife had her tonsils out last year. Said it was a quick procedure, she was awake, in a dentist type chair and they just used lasers to remove the tonsils. He said she "smoked like a dragon!" during it but there was no pain or anything. He even took her to dinner that night -- she was fine! Now I want THAT type of surgery!! Im looking for a doctor who will do it by laser -- if I can find one before Monday I might just cancel the other one. I would much rather not have all the pain for two weeks! Anyone else had it done by laser? I'd love to know more!

Jessica

Old 04-27-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User

LASERS!!! wow, thats awesome i want lasers now!! haha. trouble is, i'm still having a deviated septum fixed and polups removed and holes punched in my sinuses. so i can't avoid that, but the Dr said thats nothing. if i can get some good laser surgery on my tonsils, i will be a lot happier, lol. i need to start lookin too! we only got about a week! lets hit those yellow pages, haha. keep me posted and i'll do the same. we can be tonsillectomy partners, lol.

Old 04-29-2004, 05:10 PM   #5
    go_troops
    (female)

go_troops HB User

Hey Mario --

I know -- I really want laser as well!! But my surgery is in 4 days and I dont know if I will be able to find a different doctor by than! I actually just got of the phone with the surgery nurse and she really helped calm my nerves. She said to imagine the WORST sore throat Ive ever had and thats about how bad it will be after surgery. And you know what, I survived my worst sore throat pretty well and it was a pretty bad sore throat! My tonsils even started bleeding! I know, I know -- yucky!! But thats how it tends to go for us.... So I think I am going to just have the surgery. I have searched high and low for a doctor in this area who will do it by laser but havent found one. I am pretty confidant, tho, that all will go well. Heck, I get two weeks off work, get to eat popsicles, will most likely shed some pounds, and I get to have my fiancee pamper me and watch as many movies as I want! So Im actually going to make myself stop panicking and just look forward to the good stuff thats going to come of it -- like no more snoreing, no more sore throats, no more just feeling blucky all the time!!! I cant wait!!!

I wish you all the luck in the world with yours as well, Mario! And everyone else going thru this!! Mario, We have to stay in touch and help each other thru this! I will keep you posted on how mine is going as well!! Good luck! I will try to post more later!

Jessica

Old 04-29-2004, 05:43 PM   #6
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User

alright sounds good. i am going to call my surgeon tomorrow and see which devices he plans on using for the surgery. if i can't get laser, i would at least like harmonic scaple (sp?) i'm tryin to think back to my worst sore throat. hmph, i couldn't even swallow good. mine have never started bleeding, but man do they hurt. i had a larinoscopy (sp again) the other day, and the ENT said my tonsils were swollen all around, even down my throat, so yeah, get em outta there. keep me posted and good luck

Old 04-30-2004, 10:48 PM   #7
    devzin98

devzin98 HB User

Hey! I'm 26, and had my tonsils removed last July. I did not have it done with lasers, but from what you say, I wish I had. The first two or three days, I was REALLY sore. It hurt like hell...I'm not going to lie. Lots of ice chips and ice cream. To make matters worse, I was given Codein for the pain, but ended up vomiting because of it. You can imagine how much pain I was in because of that! It was impossible to swallow without grimacing, let alone throwing up. However, I still say it's the best thing I've ever done. I was up and around by the 4th day, and speaking too. Just ate softer foods for about a week or so after that. I've only had very minor sore throats since then. I was getting tonsilitis every couple weeks before that. It's a great thing if you're going through what I was. I'm curious to know how the laser treatment differs from the traditional way. If you ever have it done, let us know!

Old 05-05-2004, 12:11 PM   #8
    go_troops
    (female)

go_troops HB User

hello everyone and thanks for keeping me in your thoughts! I had my tonsils and adenoids removed this last monday, the 3rd. my goodness, was i nervous. I had to check in at 7:15 in the morning. They made me change than gave me a bed. they put in a IV and gave me something to help with swelling. My surgery wasnt until 8:15. I walked into the OR and had to lay on the table. The ANSTGST told me to think about where Id like to go on vacation. I didnt even have the chance to think about it, the next thing I knew I was awake and drooling all over!! I was in a bit of pain -- my ears really hurt and so did my throat. They nurse gave me 20mg liquid vicadin right than -- I told him my pain was about a 7. Within 10 minutes I was down to about a 4 in pain. I got moved to the Phase 2 recovery and was about to sleep and sorta visit with my mom and fiancee for two hours that seemed like about 20 minutes. The next thing I knew i was suppose to get dressed and go home and I was thinking to myself how am I going to do that, i cant even wake up!! but i went home and i was pretty much ok. I ate a little bit of a muffin and it went down fine. The first day i just slept alot. my uveula was so swollen it made me want to gag, but i wasnt sick to my stomach at all. yesterday was about the same, some nausea, but way less than i had expected. im use to be nausus all the time anyway, and that was hardly anything yesterday. it usually went away if i burped! I hate to admit it - but i had a whole lot of gas afterwards and im not sure why!! just a warning -- dont know if thats happened to anyone else. could be the penicillion im on. today is day three and i am up and doing pretty well considering. they kept warning me that the first two days would be pretty easy and by day 3 i would probably feel horrible again. but last night i went to bed without taking any vicadin and didnt have any at all thru the night. i took a half dose this morning cause it did really hurt. but other than that im doing pretty good!! I just keep nibbling on crackers and i have had a million popsicles!! they are really easy to eat when mushed up in a cup with a dash of sprite in it. its just like a slurpee, but you dont feel the carbonation. thats the worst! dont drink soda!! but the popsicles really have done a wonder for me! My doctor said my tonsils were HUGE. I have these deep holes now in the back of my throat. Its every unreal that they are gone now! I am so glad its over!!! I was so nervous -- ive never had any kind of surgery before! But it went really well and im very shocked at how well im recovering. Ive heard some BAD things from people about how they did. I have to say, im very relieved so far that mine has been so easy! my adenoids dont cause me any pain at all. i just cant wait til the swelling goes down. it has quite a bit. i took a before picture of my throat, and ive meant to take an after but it hurts to open my mouth very far, so i am waiting. anyway, just thought id let you all know how it went. im hangin in there and im so thankful its over! well, feelin a bit weak -- this is the most ive really done since! but i will check back soon! good luck mario -- i know u will do GREAT! its really a breeze!

Jessica

Old 05-05-2004, 01:04 PM   #9
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User

glad your doing so well. i feel better about having mine out, but unfortunatly, my insurance company pulled some crap and can't gaurantee they will pay, or help pay for the surgery, so i had to reschedual for june 3rd, so the insurance company can go over it, and let me know if they are gonna pay. i can't afford 10g in surgery right now, so, we'll see. but keep us updated on how your doing!

Old 05-09-2004, 03:43 PM   #10
    go_troops
    (female)

go_troops HB User

hey guys --

thanks for continuing to keep me in your thoughts!

well, the other day i think i spoke too soon..... i was doing really well on the first second and third day. my doctor warned me that days 3-5 would probably be the worst. since i felt so good on day three i thought maybe i was going to be lucky.....boy was i wrong.... day 4 came like a ton of bricks falling on me!! i felt terrible!!!! my throat was so sore i couldnt swollen without wanting to DIE! let alone take my pain meds. but my fiancee helped me thru it and was able to get the meds down. a trick i learned really helped -- the doctor gave me liquid vicatin. well, its not the best tasting but you cant taste it that much if you hold it under your tounge. so i would hold some under my tounge for about 30 seconds or so -- that way it got to my blood stream a whole lot faster. than it was a LITTLE easier to swallow the rest.... so day four was tough.... but i slept thru most of it and that helped. by the end of that day i had become quite nauseas. i was sweating really bad and felt like i had a fever, but i didnt. finally i just had to go to bed and that did help. eating soda crackers did too. i guess i just didnt eat enough with my meds -- its hard when it hurts so bad tho.

i expected day 5 to be easier. instead, it was even worse than day 4. and this time no one was there with me. everyone thought i would be ok by than. i was in so much pain!!!! the pain made me cry, and crying really really really hurt which made me cry even harder!!! it was not good! but i was able to calm down and felt a bit better. i hated being nauseas so i didnt want to eat anything. so i suffered most of the day. finally that evening i ate and i felt much better. my mom came and tried to help me as much as she could. that night she painted my toes and got me some comfy pj's so i would feel better. . It did help!

Day 6 was much better. i finally felt like i was turning around. my mom, still trying to help me feel better, did my hair and make-up and that also made me feel like a new person. it was still terribly painful to swallow, but i tried to eat. the horrible thing was that liquid hurt so much more than anything else. and i was soooo thirsty because, honestly, i havent been drinking as much as i should cause of the pain. so yesterday i tried to drink more, and slowly i was able to get some fluids down.

so, today is day 7. and it feels like its about day 57! seriously, im very glad that today is today! i dont know if i could have survived another day like days 4 and 5! today i woke up with quite a sore throat, but with not nearly as much pain in my ears. that was whats been bothering me the most. yesterday there was tons of pain in my ears and on the right side of my throat. today most of the ear pain is gone, and most of the pain i do have is on my left side. it hurts to swallow but im still doing it and trying hard not to make faces like before!!

today i finally got dressed and went outside for a short walk! i was starting to slowly feel like myself again. than, the best thing thats happened to me this whole time did! I stepped on the scale and saw that ive lost 10 pounds!!!!!!! in ONE WEEK!!! I have always wanted to lose some weight -- ive never lost more than 1 pound before!! i was so excited i forgot about my pain! i know it will come back if im not careful, but i think this is the jump ive been needing in the right direction! ive been trying and trying and when i finally gave up it just came off!! that makes it all worth it to me!!

I dont want to scare anyone out of getting your tonsils out. I havent had a single bit of pain from my adenoids. the first few days my uvuala and back of my nose were really swollow so i felt like i was choking. but it went away pretty quick. yes, i will admit, the pain is as bad as they say its going to be. the good news, as long as i dont swollow, it really doesnt hurt!! yeah, yeah, you gotta swallow! but it COULD be worse......

My biggest fear was throwing up -- i never did even tho i wanted to sometimes!! i lived thru the pain -- sleeping can REALLY help pass the time. I have been gettimg up at 12 pm on average! that is VERY unlike me, but in this case, it has really helped the days go faster and the recovery to be easier.

Thru it all, Im very glad Ive done the surgery. Ive had a sinus headache in my left eyebrow for a little over a year, which has also caused my left eye to be kinda blurry. I told my doctor about it and he said it COULD go away with the surgery. IT HAS!!! i havent had it at ALL since!! That is VERY much worth it! also, the first day I snored SOOO loud, but thats because my nose and throat were swollen. Ever since, I have been able to breathe so much easier, my nose has just felt more clear, when i sleep i breathe thru my nose, i havent been snoreing!!! its amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant recommend it enough! i know, i know, it HURTS! it really really really does and i would never ever ever want to go thru something like this again! but honestly, its worth it. i feel like a new person. like i have a second chance! im still recovering and i already feel better than i did before!!!!

I will continue to keep you all informed of how im doing. but i seriously feel like ive turned the bend! i actually feel like shopping -- me, not feeling like shopping, somethings wrong!! and i have that desire back!!!!

thank you for your support! If i can do it, anyone can!!!!

God Bless

Jessica

Old 05-09-2004, 06:51 PM   #11
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User

wow i want this surgery even more now! i snore a lot, and breath through my mouth when i sleep, and more than likely wake up with a morning sore throat. at my tonsillectomy, i'm also having a deviated septum fixed, and my sinuses drained, so i think i will be pretty excited on day 10 when i feel great. i'll live with the pain. glad your feeling better!

Old 05-10-2004, 03:21 PM   #12
    go_troops
    (female)

go_troops HB User

Mario --

I never thought of having sinusus drained!! I wish they did that for me. but i guess they would have if they thought i needed it.... who knows. i KNOW you will feel SOOOO much better after all of it!!

and guess what!

Ive now lost 11 pounds!! Im so excited! I hope I lose another by tomorrow!

Today I woke up with a little sore throat -- very little compared to before! It was ok but got a little worse. i told myself -- NO NARCOTICS TODAY! ONLY TYLONAL! well, i DID end up taking a vicadin just because it was starting to hurt in my ears again. I think it was because i had been talking on the phone, tho, and talking tends to make it hurt. So I took the pill and it really really helped. had almost NO pain after that -- thats a first!!

Im very happy at how im recovering and im so excited its almost over! I cant wait to get out and about again! Id love to go somewhere today but my fiancee has my car!! im stuck!!! but the point is -- i have the energy to want to go out and about!

well i will continue to let u know how it goes. good luck as your surgery gets closer everyday. i promise you wont regret it!

Jessica

Old 05-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #13
    go_troops
    (female)

go_troops HB User

oh, i meant to add -- thats what it felt like this morning -- just your typical morning dry sore throat. it really wasnt all that bad. there can sometimes be pressure if i lay on my side. i spent most of the week sleeping half sitting up just because it felt better. the sore throat i have now is like that -- like just a typical really bad sore throat. nothing to call home about.... im glad!!!!!!

Jessica

Old 05-14-2004, 01:49 PM   #14
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User

sooooo, any update? i just got the "OK" from my insurance company to go anhead and have the surgery. so i'm planning on may 27th. man i can't wait, haha. i don't care how much pain i'm in for the first week. as long as i don't hafta deal with tonsils for the rest of my life!

Old 05-16-2004, 11:55 AM   #15
    go_troops
    (female)

go_troops HB User

Today is day 13 and Im back at work!!

I kinda feel like I needed a little bit more time but im doing pretty good. im just really tired. probably mostly because i just got a new kitten and she is very hyper in the night!!

a few days back i finally sneezed for the first time since my surgery. I really really didnt want to because i wasnt sure what would happen but i really needed to so i thought, heck its been 11 days, i think i should be fine. so i sneezed and all seemed well.

than i blew my nose. i was bleeding!!! a lot!! i was so scared, i actually almost passed out. i mean, everything went black and got all muffled and i felt like i was about to faint -- and i was sitting down!!

ive never had my nose bleed before, and i was so scared because of the circumstances. and my doctor had warned me if i do bleed and it doesnt stop right away to go to the emergency room, so thats all i was thinking about!!

my fiancee tried to calm me down. i was spitting blood and that scared me even more. now that i can think rationally i realize it was because it was running down my throat and thats why it came out in my saliva, but i was so freaked out at the time i thought i was dying!!

i put ice on my nose and sat for a while and pretty soon it stopped bleeding. i was pretty darn freaked out for a while tho! later i saw all the kleenex in the garbage and realized it wasnt as much blood as i thought it was. but it was still enough to freak me out!

after that i vowed to never ever sneeze again!

than on Friday night my nose started bleeding again. i hadnt done anything. it was only a tiny bit and it came out only when i blew my nose, so i figured i was fine. than yesterday (Saturday) morning it happened some more. and this is where the really gross part happened (warning -- this is really really disgusting so if you gag easily, i wouldnt read on!!):

I felt like i really needed to sneeze so I finally just let myself because I wanted to see what would happen. i had worked my courage up. so i sneezed. i didnt bleed! but i really felt like i needed to blow my nose, so i did. when i blew my nose a big piece of black stuff came out! it was just this black glob -- not slimy or anything, just like a piece of burned tissue or something, i assume. there were specks of black stuff as well and all around it was yellow liquid. it was VERY strange. but it didnt hurt or anything and i didnt bleed.... well i still felt like i had stuff in my nose but it wouldnt come out by blowing. so I had to snort it out! I know, its so sick! ive never done that before, but I needed to really bad! so i did that and when i spit the stuff out (after gaging for a minute!) it was this really mucousy brown stuff with alot of blood in it. that was a bit scary, but nothing else came out after that. the same thing happened again this morning.

i was scared so i called me mom and she thinks im just healing. i guess so, but i am concerned about the blood. my worried that im not healing like i should, and i have reason to be. i didnt take my antibiotics like i should have during the last two weeks. every time i took them it made me feel sick and really really hot and my face would get really red. i felt like i might be allergic. so i could have a little bit of an infection. after all, my tonsils were full of toxins.

im really not sure whats going on, but i have a doctors appointment on wednesday. so if i survive thru the next three days i should be fine! im just worried about going to the doctor. since i had my adenoids out he might stick the camera thing down my nose again! he numbs me, but i can still feel everything!!! and than he puts this tube with a camera on the end of it down my nose. its really uncomfortable. but i guess its better to know whats going on.

i still feel like i just need to sleep and sleep and sleep. im so sleepy!! i really dont have very much energy. i felt like i should by now. im wanting to start working out again but im not sure if i can -- i want to get my doctors ok first.

i can finally eat solid things like chips and such -- stuff that i couldnt even imagine having before! and i can finally drink more than a little sip. ive been able to get at least three big swallows at once!! its great -- before i could barely drink anything and it was torture, i was so thirsty! now im even drinking soda!!!

my throat still hurts. but just a little bit. my left ear is what causes me the most discomfort. im hopeing i dont have an ear infection. i will find this all out in a few days, tho. right this minute my throat is pretty much fine. just a little tight. it gets worse tho when i eat or talk alot. i am a singer and ive had to stop this whole time. on Friday i sang for the first time since all of this. it went pretty well, but my throat did hurt a bit afterwards. i tried singing yesterday and i had to stop, it was just not feeling that great and i felt like i was straining my throat. i have to stop pushing myself so much. my body will fully recover when its good and ready.

mario -- im glad to hear your insurance said yes to the procedure! it will be a great relief! i am SOOOO thankful i did it! it was really hard to handle for a few days, but looking back i cant believe i waited so long and im soooo excited now when i think that its over with!! i never have to worry about those darn things ever ever ever again! and it makes me so happy! they wont hurt, they wont get swollen, they wont bleed, they wont gag me, ever ever ever!!! i dont regret a moment of it! one or two weeks of pain is nothing compared to a lifetime of living without them!

i will continue to let you know how things go and tell you what my doctor says on wednesday. hopefully everything is good!! good luck on your surgery, mario. dont stress too much before hand. its coming quick, but thats a good thing! you wont regret it!

Jessica

Closed Thread