It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsil Stones?!?! tonsilloliths anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
    TootsieRoll

TootsieRoll HB User
    Post Tonsil Stones?!?! tonsilloliths anyone?

Hi there,

I was reading the older posts about tonsil stones. Is anyone else still being bothered by these? Are there any new suggestions on how to keep them at bay! I figured I would get a new thread going...

I was also wondering.. Is it possible to have tonsil stones and not see them on or in the crypts of your tonsil? Just sneezing or coughing them out... Thats what I seem to be having problems with. *sigh* Any further input to this subject will be greatly appreciated.... Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2004, 08:01 PM   #2
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User
    Re: Tonsil Stones?!?! tonsilloliths anyone?

I get them from time to time but not only do I feel it, I usually see it and then I have to dig them out and sometimes, it isn't easy digging those things out! Good luck!

Old 07-10-2004, 09:41 PM   #3
    DallasAli
    (female)

DallasAli HB User

Hi,

I haven't posted on this particular forum before, but this lead thread caught my eye. I am in my late 40s, and still have my tonsils, but they are filled with crypts...deposit-like holes within the tonsil. I was told the scarring and crypts were caused by my many bouts of strep throat when I was an adolescent.

Many years later in my 20s, I noticed I'd sometimes produce exactly what you describe...a very horrific smelling weird dark white-like "hunk" of something, and I had no idea what it was! I finally got the nerve up in my 30s to ask a dr. about them (an ear, nose & throat doc) and he said that food gets deposited and then trapped into the tonsil "cavity" or "crypt," and it decays which produces the smell.

This is gross, I know, but...all I have to do is push down on my tonsils either with a q-tip or my finger (fortunately I don't have a "gag reflex"), and all that hardened decayed stuff just comes popping out of the crypts! How gross is that!!! I finally decided a monthly or weekly or whatever self-cleaning was better than the smell it might be producing, and that is how I've dealt with them.

At first I thought it was strep again...you know the white spots? But the difference the dr. told me is that those white spots are pus from the strep infection, and these hardened things that exudate are only decayed food...not an infection. That put my mind at ease as far as sickness but not as far as my breath! He was unable to suggest anything except that they would "eventually work their way out," and I suspect that is what you're experiencing when you cough it out or it comes out in another way.

Maybe you can try just pressing on your tonsil and see what comes out? If you gag easily, that probably won't work, but I have to do it every so often just to know that stuff is out of there. Isn't the smell of it the worst!?!

Thank you so much for bringing up a topic that many would not be able to discuss with anyone or anyplace except with complete anonyminity.

DA

Old 07-12-2004, 07:52 AM   #4
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

When I was younger -- teens and early 20s, you could see them stuck in the back of my throat. When I was older I couldn't see them, but I'd push on my tonsils and all that stuff would come out. Finally just had my tonsils removed 'cuz I was concerned with the stinky bad breath and I kept getting horrible sinus headaches and then the next day there'd be twice as much tonsil gunk.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:04 AM   #5
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Go see an ENT. I was told by my regular doctor time and time again that it was just food particles; however, my ENT told me it was caused by chronic tonsillitis. A chronic infection of the tonsils that couldn't be cured by antibiotics. My tonsils were huge and very scarred and full of that stuff. Finally had my tonsils removed 4 years ago at the age of 38. Major surgery with risks but wished I'd done it earlier. My ENT said the infection went very very deep and that my tonsils were FULL! Full of that gunk. Ewwww!

Old 07-12-2004, 12:09 PM   #6
    TootsieRoll

TootsieRoll HB User
    Post Re: Tonsil Stones?!?! tonsilloliths anyone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ratatosk
    Go see an ENT. I was told by my regular doctor time and time again that it was just food particles; however, my ENT told me it was caused by chronic tonsillitis. A chronic infection of the tonsils that couldn't be cured by antibiotics. My tonsils were huge and very scarred and full of that stuff. Finally had my tonsils removed 4 years ago at the age of 38. Major surgery with risks but wished I'd done it earlier. My ENT said the infection went very very deep and that my tonsils were FULL! Full of that gunk. Ewwww!
    Hi there,

was having your tonsils out as bad as I have heard? Mine really need to come out. I have already seen one ENT and he said they should come out but I didn't care for him as a DR. I am going to be looking for another one soon. So the tonsil stones are actually coming out from inside the tonsil? I am gathering since you said yours where full of that stuff. Yuckie!

I have other health issues and the ENT I had seen had me on my death bed for a tonsillectomy. I have had many other surgeries done with no complications. That's why I am looking into a nicer DR. with a good bed side manner. They really need to teach that in medical school. Gesh!

Could you give me some feedback about the procedure and the recovery? I am very concerned... thanks a bunch

Old 07-12-2004, 01:09 PM   #7
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yep, my ENT said they were very scarred and full of infection -- that the infection (tonsil curds) went very deep. I was told to take off at least two weeks for recovery. Which was good 'cuz I really couldn't talk. They basically cut out your tonsils and then cauterize (burn) the area. So my throat felt really raw and sore and there were lots of scabs back there. I'd wake up about every 2-3 hours 'cuz my throat felt really sticky. But I knew the discomfort wouldn't last and just kept drinking lots and lots of water to stay hydrated.

Old 08-06-2004, 02:55 PM   #8
    BumperFish

BumperFish HB User

Greetings! I'm glad I found you guys! I've had this problem for most of my 35 years. I'm also looking for new ways of getting rid of these things. They go WAY DEEP into my tonsils. I can feel them, but not always see them. Isn't there some sort of suction we can use????

ew ew ew ew!

Old 08-07-2004, 01:01 PM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

The suction device would definitely be the BEST!! Imagine the commercials in your head "FOR THOSE SUFFERING FROM TONSOLITHS --END THE SUFFERING FOREVER!! Just once a week rid yourself from sore throats, bad breath, squeezing and picking with the handy dandy L'il Sucker. Only $100...blah, blah...."

Invent it, we'll buy it!

quincy

Old 08-09-2004, 10:56 PM   #10
    GreenBMP

GreenBMP HB User

Funny thing a few days ago my mother told me about these things and showed me and I thought that was too strange to be true so I went online and found out people had them. Then today guess what... I cough like 5 of them up. Strange how things work out. I have been sick for like 5 days and I had nearly lost my voice like 2 days ago and have been coughing soo much.

Old 08-11-2004, 07:28 AM   #11
    CaliforniaKC

CaliforniaKC HB User

I had this problem years ago. The doctor told me to use a water pick. It was a mess, with water all over the place, but it worked and I only had a problem once more after that, used the water pick and that was it!

Old 08-17-2004, 07:48 AM   #12
    knwldg_is_power

knwldg_is_power HB User

I also have had this same problem. The cause that seems to be most common is that they are food particles. I have seem from my own research that there may be another reason this is happening. I read a dentist or something that says that it is some kind of bacteria that feeds on mucous that collects in the back of the throat, which I also have. The waste that the bacteria is like sulfur or something and it is deposited in the tonsil crypts. It gives you really bad breath.
    This problem is giving me problems with girls. I am a virgin and I am so disgusted with my own my that I can't bring myself to even kiss a girl. I am 18 years old and am about to go to college. I will try anything at this point.
    This is what he had to say.

"A simple combination of AktivOxigen Tablets and Nasal Sinus Drops will effectively eliminate tonsil stones without unnecessary tonsil surgery. Plus, occasional use of a Oxygenating Spray will help to immediately neutralize the anaerobic sulfur-producing bacteria on contact.

Now keep in mind, as you know from reading my ebook (the Bad Breath Bible), if you truly want to prevent bad breath then you must use an oxygenating toothpaste and mouthwash and ideally a tongue scraper to effectively neutralize the anaerobic bacteria from the very back of the tongue.

When you use such an oxygenating toothpaste and mouthwash (like TheraBreath) you will experience a residual effect from the AktivOxigen/Nasal-Sinus Drops solution, and it will stop the tonsil stones from ever forming again."

Last edited by knwldg_is_power; 08-17-2004 at 08:04 AM.

Closed Thread