It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Symptoms/Reasons/Concerns to HAVE Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2004, 03:09 PM   #1
    DJBucs2005
    (male)

DJBucs2005 HB User
    Question Symptoms/Reasons/Concerns to HAVE Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

I would have just made a post in the thread that's already up talking about this matter (BUT then not everyone would see that post as that thread is over 100 pages long), asking people to share their symptoms/concerns/problems (so that others can relate and hopefully be helped in finding answers to THEIR problems...like myself ) So, why am I making another thread? Well, for one, I'm not getting any new major posts in my original thread http://www.healthboards.com/boards/s...d.php?t=206951 in regards to my breathing problem. I want to know ALL of the symptoms/problems/concerns, for those of you (or your family members, friends, etc.) who are going to, considering, or have had tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy surgery. The reason why I'm so interested is because I am considering getting my tonsils out. If you go ahead and read that thread I pasted, and the original "Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery" thread, you'll see my posts, on page 99---> http://www.healthboards.com/boards/s...4&page=99&pp=5 and then 100 as well, you'll see what my situation is.

I'll start it off. My symptoms are:

Enlarged palatine tonsils; which are the tonsils most commonly removed due to problems
    Constant difficulty breathing through both my nose and mouth, which also leads to fatigue and shortness of breath when exercising and playing sports. This is really where I think I have messed myself up. I think I have often led my doctors to think that I have experience problems breathing ONLY when I'm exercising, which is NOT the case. It is only worse when I'm exercising, because by nature, when one is exercising, they need more air, and if there is some kind of obstruction (tonsils or adenoids possibly) and more air needs to get through, then there is going to be a problem. (Is that a good explanation/way of looking/thinking about it???)
    Mucous buildup in the morning, and throughout the day forms, and often having to spit up mucous throughout the day, especially during the winter.
    WAY too many sore throats and colds, especially during the winter. I'm thinking it could be tonsilsitis, as this next symptom (crypts) are caused by frequent tonsilitis
    Tonsil crypts, I believe due to the tonsilitis, which traps food and debris, and end up looking like little white spots on the (palatine) tonsils
    Constant redness in throat and on tonsils More fatigued than I have felt in the past, when waking up and throughout the day
    Snoring in my sleep---this is probably caused by the tonsils or the adenoids or a combination of both. Since I'm probably going to be getting another opinion, that will buy me some time to perhaps go and buy a tape recorder, and tape myself sleeping, to CONFIRM that I do indeed SNORE when I sleep.
    Oftentimes, I get a bloody nose in the winter, more than I think I should be getting (I hardly got any of these this winter. I'm kind of surprised. I've hardly spent time outside doing acitivities in the cold though, in fear of getting sick. Because when I get sick, I REALLY get sick, and I'm sick forever it seems)
    No doctor has ever looked at my adenoids. A doctor I saw claimed the only way to look at the adenoids is when they are doing surgery to take out my tonsils, and then they would look at them and determine whether they too need to be taken out. That is not true. They can be looked at with a scope...which is why I don't trust that doctor, and I'm getting another opinion.
    This is a very minor one, but pretty much relates to everything else, with the concern of the tonsils and adenoids. I have noticed more recently, when I'm laughing, just a little laugh...for example..if I'm not talking, and I'm just listening to someone talk, and they say something funny...I'll try to let some air out of my nose real fast and abruptly. I've had this happen..where I try to let the air out of my nose...and it wouldn't come out!!
    Also, I JUST put 2 and 2 together. This may or may not be a significant finding. Okay, if you didnt happen to read any of my other posts, the Dr. I saw a few days ago agreed to take my tonsils out. However, not because she thinks they are causing a breathing problem, but because one is bigger than the other. Here is the thing though. The side that the tonsil is bigger on the right. I also experience more trouble breathing through my RIGHT nostril. I have trouble breathing through BOTH nostrils, but ONCE again, it is through the right nostril that I have more trouble breathing through!
    (NEW) I don't experience a LOT, but every now and then, I'll get a chest pain for apparently no reason. It is pretty sharp too. On a scale from 1-10, when I experience chest pains, I'd say the worse it feels is an 8, and the least unpleasant chest pains I feel are about a 6.

If any of you are still reading this.....I thank you from the bottom of my heart...

Please, go ahead and post your symptoms/problems/concerns/ for the reason I gave above!!!

Sincerely,
    Dave J

By the the way, I am a young one..only 17..soon to be 18 this month..I notice there are quite a few older people on here, which is good in the sense that they are older and usually more wiser and experienced.

Last edited by DJBucs2005; 01-10-2005 at 07:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: Symptoms/Reasons/Concerns to HAVE Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

The reason I had my tonsils removed was because I was sick and tired of dealing with those nasty cryptic tonsils and all that gross stuff. Also, I had noticed a correlation between horrible sinus headaches that would knock me for a loop and the next day my tonsils would be even grosser.

My tonsils not only would drain and have tonsil stones coming out of them, but sometimes they would bleed.

I've never snored, but then I don't sleep on my back.

Adenoids weren't an issue for me, it's my understanding that as you get older they shrink; however, I do know of someone who had sleep apnea and snored terribly who had his tonsils AND adenoids removed at the age of 40.

When the ENT removed my tonsils, he said they were very enlarged, very scared and very full of infection -- infection that went very very deep. One tonsil was much larger than the other and therefore the ENT left a bigger hole on that side when he removed the tissue.

That's my story and I wish I'd been brave enough to have had my tonsils out years ago instead of waiting until I turned 34.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 11-03-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:28 PM   #3
    mvtonsilhater

mvtonsilhater HB User
    Re: Symptoms/Reasons/Concerns to HAVE Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery

i'm posting my account of my coblation tonsillectomy on the 'Adult Tonsillectomy' thread but i figured i'd post reasons why i got the tonsillectomy here....

Reasons I got my Tonsils Out:
    -Both larger than they should be according to my doctors
    -One almost twice as large as the other
    -Very frequent mild sore throats (NOT tonsillitis and NOT strep throat)
    -Two ear infections in the same side ear that the large tonsil is on in the past 1.5 years
    -Tonsil crypts and stones that constantly accumulated in them
    -Occasional bad breath resulting from tonsil stones
    -I did not want to deal with removing tonsil stones for the rest of my life or worry about bad breath in a professional work environment
    -I snore sometimes and that pisses my girlfriend off.... my ENTs said the tonsils might add to the snoring so it might help that as well
    -I heard about this new 'coblation' method that didn't sound as bad as the electrocautery or laser methods so i figured it might not be so bad

i saw two ENTs and both said that most or all of these things would be improved if i got the tonsillectomy. they both said that the stones would definitely not go away unless i did get it. the first ENT warned me that it would be very very painful and lay me out for 10-14 days. she told me to think about it for 6 months and pay attention to all my symptoms then we'd discuss it later. i held out for 3-4 months and noticed that the tonsil stones were always there even though i cleaned them out w/qtips every other day. i asked my girlfriend and roommates if i ever had bad breath. they didn't outright say my breath stunk but they kinda hinted at it. (i needed honest answers and they gave honest answers politely... ) i went back to see the original ENT and she again seemed to hesitate on doing the tonsillectomy. she told me about the pain and suffering i'd go through. i asked her about coblation and she said they had one of the instruments at the hospital but that she had yet to use it. she also said that it probably wouldn't be that much different than the traditional method. that wasn't what i had read so i told her that i wanted to think about it more and consult someone who had used coblation on patients already. she told me to go for it.

i did more research on the coblation method. i found a local doctor who has used this method on around 15 patients already and got an appointment. thank god my insurance is pretty good and i can see whomever i want to. i saw her, explained all that i just did above. she took a really good look at everything and said, 'let's take them out. they shouldn't be that big and you shouldn't have to deal with the stones, etc etc' she also explained that i might be laid out for 10-14 days but said that the pain wouldn't be as bad with the coblation method. she also said that she used to use the laser method but found coblation to be even better. she's been in practice for 20+ years apparently and did her residency at one of the best places in the country. who was i to argue w/her?! (i don't want to name schools or hospitals here for privacy's sake)

anyway, a month later i was on the OR table and two days after that, here i am. i don't feel perfect but i'm 100% glad i did it so far. it only hurts a tiny bit when i swallow without anything in my mouth or with just water. soup, applesauce, etc etc all feel fine goind down right now.

good luck w/your decisions!

Old 11-04-2004, 10:30 PM   #4
    mvtonsilhater

mvtonsilhater HB User

FYI, I am a 27 year old male. 5'8" and 170 lbs w/a muscular build. don't know how much my account would help someone who is entirely physically different than myself.

Old 11-05-2004, 01:34 PM   #5
    DJBucs2005
    (male)

DJBucs2005 HB User

Weird...no breathing problems? Maybe it could be my adenoids that are causing my problem instead OR as well. Maybe then, if they are large enough to be causing a problem, the doctor who is scheduled to take my tonsils out, and said "I will determining whether to take your adenoids out when taking your tonsils out." And said that that is the only time she can look at my adenoids...which isn't true.

Anyone know if and how much adenoids can effect breathing if they become too large?

Old 11-05-2004, 09:20 PM   #6
    mvtonsilhater

mvtonsilhater HB User

DJ Bucs: [removed]The weird thing about adenoids is that according to my doctor and other websites i've read, they're supposed to atrophy and virtually disappear during puberty. I'm sure you're past that seeing that you are almost 18 now. When I asked my ENT whether she'd be taking mine out, she basically said, 'your adenoids atrophy at puberty so you don't have any'. I know she took a pretty good look when I got my exams so I believe her. [removed] Regarding whether tonsils affect breathing, I thought that was a known symptom of very large tonsils. It did not affect me on a day to day basis, only at night when it caused me to mouth breath and snore. [removed]

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 11-09-2004 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Do not post websites without Moderator 1's approval. Do not post others copyrighted material! Please read & follow our rules! Thank you!

Old 11-07-2004, 08:09 AM   #7
    jeff's girl
    (female)

jeff's girl HB User

Hi DJBucs2005,

I'll tell you my problems and my doctors solution. I've had enlarged tonsils my whole life, but they got worse over the last 7-10 years. I'm 33 y/o female, btw. I was told seven years ago to have my tonsils removed. There was no "go and think about it", or "we'll see how it goes", just they're big and ugly (bugly is what my doctor calls it) and they aren't going to get better. I convinced him to try some other things first; a course of steriods, allergy meds and longterm antibiotics, which did nothing. I apparently had breathing problems that I was unaware of from the tonsils and possibly the adenoids. I finally scheduled it on 10/20. My doctor said that if he was going to do the tonsils, he would automatically do the adenoids too. It was silly to go up there and not do both while you're there. Kinda like anytime someone has an abdominal surgery, the appendix automatically comes out too so it never has to be worried about later.
    I guess I can see a doctor saying they may not remove them, but if the patient insists on it, it's ridiculous not to go ahead and remove them. It is an insignificant procedure next the tonsillectomy, in time and recovery, so why argue?

I did snore and breath loud during sleep and I don't anymore. I don't know if this is from the tonsils or adenoids, but I'm not heavy and I don't sleep on my back so I know it was from one of them. I was told by my anesthesiologist before surgery that I would breath so much better afterwards. He was shocked that I didn't have major breathing problems. He said the only reason I didn't was because I was so thin. Don't know what correlation that has, but he says my body was able to compensate and adjust because I was thin. But now there is no snoring or even loud breathing during sleep according to my husband.

I'm sorry I don't have more info on the adenoids. I can tell you that I've never had problems breathing through my nose except, of course, when I'm sick and I can't really tell a difference in the air intake through my nose post adenoidectomy. My doctor still removed them though. Hope I've helped a little.

Last edited by jeff's girl; 11-07-2004 at 08:20 AM.

Old 11-09-2004, 05:54 AM   #8
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

OK, here it is. I am a 50 yr. old female and am scheduled for a tonsillectomy on Nov. 23. I have had problems with chronic tonsillitis and strep throat for many years. But the problem now is the swelling and assymetry. In a nut shell here's what my ENT says and the benefits do outweigh the risks.

He told me with tonsils that are constantly swollen and in my case, asymmetrical he wants to rule out lymphoma. He has done 1,350 tonsillectomies and only 3 came back with lymphoma. He said, most likely I have a bacterial or viral infection that has just taken up residence in my tonsil and will never go away. He also said with each flare up of tonsillitis and/or strep throat the infection can go deeper and it can become systemtic because of the amount of blood vessels in the area, particularly the carotid artery.

He also told me that the tonsil issues could very well be the underlying cause of my chronic fatigue and low grade fever.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Last edited by dbaum; 11-09-2004 at 05:57 AM.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:17 AM   #9
    alleycat
    Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

I had my tonsils taken out almost a year ago. Dec 12th 2003 when I was 18. My ENT took them out because they were constantly infected and was causing sleep apnea. He even asked why they weren't taken out a long time ago. My ENT told me that to see the adenoids they have to run a scope up there and it's less painful to do during the actual surgery. My adenoids were fine but there is a cartilage up there called turbnet cartilage and mine was inflamed so he caulterized it and I haven't had bad snoring since.

Old 11-14-2004, 10:53 AM   #10
    DJBucs2005
    (male)

DJBucs2005 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alleycat
    I had my tonsils taken out almost a year ago. Dec 12th 2003 when I was 18. My ENT took them out because they were constantly infected and was causing sleep apnea. He even asked why they weren't taken out a long time ago. My ENT told me that to see the adenoids they have to run a scope up there and it's less painful to do during the actual surgery. My adenoids were fine but there is a cartilage up there called turbnet cartilage and mine was inflamed so he caulterized it and I haven't had bad snoring since.
    Could you please expand on what exactly the "turbnet cartilage" (I think you may have misspelled it, or not quite picked up how to spell it it just by hearing it; I think it is spelled "turbulent cartilage") is and what kind of problems it can cause. Would it cause any of the problems I am experiencing, other than snoring in my sleep?

THANKS

Old 11-26-2004, 11:32 AM   #11
    DJBucs2005
    (male)

DJBucs2005 HB User

Alleycat...or anyone else...do you think you could answer my question?

Or, if anyone knows of a site where I could find some good, comprehensible information on this such matter, I would be VERY appreciative. I found one site, but it was prepared by a doctor, and has a lot of lingo that I have no idea as to what some of the words in there mean.

THANKS!

Last edited by DJBucs2005; 11-26-2004 at 11:43 AM.

Old 11-26-2004, 01:47 PM   #12
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think it's turbinate, if I recall correctly.

DJBucs2005, you're just going to have to decide for yourself if you think you'll be better off without your tonsils or not. A lot of us here had chronically infected tonsils that were full of nasty stuff and were most likely making us sick. In my case, I was suffering from horribly sinus headaches. It was amazing how much better I felt after the surgery. How much better I could breathe. I just decided that I was sick and tired of big cottage cheese chunks of stuff that smelled like poo coming out of my tonsils. I'd be talking to someone and I could feel a piece of that stuff break loose and would be soooo worried that my breath smelled putrid. So I did whatever I needed to to do get those things removed 'cuz nothing helps -- gargling, water pik they're always there.

So that's my story. It's major surgery with risks involved. I flip flopped back and forth because I was afraid I'd bleed after the surgery, was afraid of the pain. But once it was done, I wished I'd done it a lot sooner.

Old 11-27-2004, 09:22 AM   #13
    DJBucs2005
    (male)

DJBucs2005 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ratatosk
    I think it's turbinate, if I recall correctly.

DJBucs2005, you're just going to have to decide for yourself if you think you'll be better off without your tonsils or not. A lot of us here had chronically infected tonsils that were full of nasty stuff and were most likely making us sick. In my case, I was suffering from horribly sinus headaches. It was amazing how much better I felt after the surgery. How much better I could breathe. I just decided that I was sick and tired of big cottage cheese chunks of stuff that smelled like poo coming out of my tonsils. I'd be talking to someone and I could feel a piece of that stuff break loose and would be soooo worried that my breath smelled putrid. So I did whatever I needed to to do get those things removed 'cuz nothing helps -- gargling, water pik they're always there.

So that's my story. It's major surgery with risks involved. I flip flopped back and forth because I was afraid I'd bleed after the surgery, was afraid of the pain. But once it was done, I wished I'd done it a lot sooner.
    I understand what you are saying, but it seems like there is a large number of potential causes of my problem. I want to know what some of the more common causes (but probably unknown to the average person, like myself) of such symptoms (see my first post in this thread for symptoms) that I experience, so that when I go to see a Dr., I can say "Okay, I want you to look for this:, so then if that isn't the cause, then we can eliminate that.

MUCH THANKS!

Sincerely,
    Dave J

Last edited by DJBucs2005; 01-12-2005 at 04:06 PM.

Old 11-27-2004, 02:15 PM   #14
    jeff's girl
    (female)

jeff's girl HB User

DJBucs2005 ~ Unfortunately, you may have to go ahead with the T&A and see if this alleviates your problems and then, if this procedure does not, pursue other possibilities. It is very likely that this will help and even if it doesn't, you have concrete evidence that the tonsils were NOT the culprit. I know you don't want to go through a needless surgery or have surgery and then go back again for something that could've been performed at the same time, but that may be your only option at this time. I went into my T&A wondering if that was the root of my problems too because I had several varying symptoms and the major ones were not recurring strep or throat infections. I put it off for several years thinking I would figure out what the cause my problems were and find someone to fix them. It turns out that my tonsils (and possibly my adenoids) were the problem and I'm great now. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. It's just something to consider.

Old 11-29-2004, 09:11 AM   #15
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DJBucs2005,

I'd dealt with tonsil stones and constantly draining tonsils most of my life. A year and a half before I had my tonsils out, I had the "summer of the headache from hell" I had a horrible sinus headache for several months -- apparently my ears were affected because I had waves of dizziness and felt like I was drunk and/or had a hangover. I went to several doctors and an ENT who ordered a CT scan. Basically told me my head was fine, except one of my nasal passages was very small. He gave me a steroid nasal spray that smelled/tasted horrible and told me to irrigate my sinuses. It was around that time that I started to keep track of how badly my tonsils drained after a particular horrible headache.

If you haven't already done so, make a daily log -- if you get headaches, keep track of those, keep track of what you've eaten -- sometimes certain foods can cause headaches...

Closed Thread