It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part II

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2004, 12:09 PM   #1
    Anarchist

Anarchist HB User
    Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part II

The moderators have asked we start a new thread, since the other one is getting long.

Here is a link to the previous thread: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1392964#post1392964[/url]

It's 7 days till my surgery, Jan 3rd! Suprisingly I am not that freaked out yet. Maybe I will be sunday night.. lol.

Last edited by Anarchist; 12-27-2004 at 12:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2004, 02:42 PM   #2
    strangecookie
    (female)

strangecookie HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part II

Well, to help start this new thread on the eve of my tonsillectomy, i'll paraphrase my story. For a year I've been reading the old thread as i debated if i should get my 32 year old tonsils removed per doctors advice. Last year i spent about 6 months on anti-biotics trying to get rid of the white spots and constant sore throats. Then i had the summer relatively free of sore throats so i thought i'd not get the surgery...but then they came back.

So tomorrow i go in for removal as well as a 'nasal antral window' because i demanded a CT scan thinkign that something in my head (i have tons of headaches in particular on one side.) Seems i have a cyst in one of my nasal caveties which will be taken care of too.

I'm armed with: tons of protein drinks, vicadin, jello, gum, and will go get a bunch of movies tonight. I am also quitting smoking tomorrow. So, it's big news for me and i really hope that people use this tread because i'll want to hear others stories simulateously.
    cheers,
    ariel

Old 12-27-2004, 03:05 PM   #3
    JTodd

JTodd HB User

Strangecookie-
    Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! Make sure they give you something for nausea and vomitting BEFORE surgery. My problem on surgery day was that I could not stop vomitting. If I even moved my head slightly, I threw up. So they ended up admitting me into the hospital for the night. The vomitting finally stopped and I got to come home the next day, but that's not the way I would have chosen to start my recovery. The nurse told me that if I have surgery again on anything that I should tell them up front that I get nauseous after surgery and they'll give me drugs to combat that up front.

As far as recovery goes, it does hurt ALOT! I think the hardest part for me is not seeing a big improvement from day to day. Usually when you're hurt or when I had my kids, it hurt but gradually it felt better. I'm on day 10 and still not really able to eat anything. I thought that by now I'd be at least eating. But I'm still taking pain meds every 3 hours and surviving on drinking with small portions of food.

Well, good luck! I wish you well with your surgery and kicking your smoking habit!! Let us know how it goes!

Old 12-27-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
    rajaraja1
    (female)

rajaraja1 HB User

my story is i'm 30 yrs and my surgery is scheduled for jan 6th at 6pm
    i go tommorrow for my pre-op clearance

the previous thread of this topic has answered a lot of questions for me, everyone has been soo helpful with their direct responses.

i have this week off from work for the holidays. i return to the office jan 3 then a few days later its on. right now i'm trying to re-energize from the x-mas chaos. i'm in the middle of cleaning then its all about rest time.

i'm uping my pilates to relax and get some energy and as per the recommendations of the previous thread, i'm going to eat and eat well.

Old 12-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #5
    rajaraja1
    (female)

rajaraja1 HB User

oo from the last post on the other thread i had asked if anyone had gotten a massage the day prior to surgery?

Old 12-27-2004, 03:41 PM   #6
    rajaraja1
    (female)

rajaraja1 HB User

strange cookie... i'm going to be following your posts for sure... let us know how it all went down. good luck

Old 12-27-2004, 04:34 PM   #7
    nlh4msu

nlh4msu HB User

Hi all- Not much of a change in pain level over the past couple of days. Wednesday will be 2 weeks post op. I have not taken anything for pain today except for Motrin, which really hasn't helped. I did have to take Lortab and Morphine about midnight last night because the pain was unbearable. I did make it all day yesterday with Motrin. I can only eat mashed potatoes and soup. My throat and ear are still hurting. I pray I will be healed by next Monday. That is when I am scheduled to return to work. I want to start back working out, but I am afraid to because of how sore my throat is.
    rajaraja1-I had a massage 2 days prior to surgery. I was still a nervous wreck. It was hard for me to enjoy the massage because I was very anxious about the upcoming surgery. I am planning on having one, if I feel better, at the end of this week. I usually go for a massage every 2-3 weeks. Let me know if you have any other questions!!

Old 12-27-2004, 05:23 PM   #8
    rajaraja1
    (female)

rajaraja1 HB User

nlh4msu- good to know.. i'm planning on getting a massage the night before.

i'm not nervous now.. but i'm sure the day before and day off i will since its not until 6pm

your recovery sounds terrible.. hope you feel better

Old 12-27-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
    momto5littles
    (female)

momto5littles HB User

This is day 8 for me. I woke up this morning in the worst pain I've ever felt except natural childbirth. Thankfully after taking meds and being awake awhile, I started feeling better. I would say I feel an improvement between today and yesterday.

I actually put on makeup today and got dressed into normal clothes for the first time since my surgery. I sat on the couch instead of laying in bed. Well, interestingly, every time I would sit for more than a 5 minute stretch I would get sick to my stomach...so much so that I would start to shake and get the chills. As soon as I lay down, I'm fine. When I just walked to the bathroom a bit ago, the same thing happened... I got sick to my stomach. So, I laid down right away again, and it ceased. I'm wondering if I'm bleeding, and I'm swallowing blood, and that's what's upsetting my stomach? That would make sense, as everytime I sit or stand up, the blood would go down my throat.

My question is... how do you know if you are bleeding or not? If the blood is all the way back in your throat, and you are swallowing all the time, how am I to know?

Old 12-27-2004, 06:39 PM   #10
    JTodd

JTodd HB User

Momto5littles-
    My packet on tonsillectomies says that you may not be sure if you are bleeding. You will be constantly swallowing the blood and then all of a sudden you'll throw it up. My ENT also suggested gargling with salt water to stop any bleeding. You may want to try that just in case.

Good luck! Hope you feel better!

Old 12-27-2004, 07:05 PM   #11
    minmin630
    (female)

minmin630 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part II

Okay so I posted quite a few enteries on the last thread but I want to try to be very helpful for those of you having Surgery. The night before my Surgery I wasn't to nervous but then the morning of my Surgery the nerves kicked in. My dad came with me for the Surgery seeing as my mom couldn't. The morning of all I could keep telling my dad was can we leave just turn around and go home,but he was like no you need to have this...so of course I was totally bummed. I was nervous as the wheeled me up to Anesthesia but they reassured me that all would be ok and that I would be completley out and not feel a thing so I was excited about that. Well then they gave me a little drugs to make me sleepy the next thing I know I am in Surgery scooching over to the table then after that the rest was a blur. The hardest thing after surgery was waking up in Recovery very confused having a hard time breathing and very cold. However the Recovery staff was great they put a warmer on me and reassured me that I was breathing fine seeing as I had 2 Sources of oxygen on (nasal cannula and the mask over the nose and mouth.) After that I was brought down to my room in Same day and kept there to rest for 3 hours then sent me home. I will admit when I came home the first day I thought I was nuts for having this surgery...It was the most horrific experience I have ever endured. So I ended up taking my medicines and laying down and finally fell asleep. The next day was not that bad I was sore but I was able to do scrambled eggs,applesauce,water,popsicles,sprite, milkshakes and jello. The following day which was Christmas eve was painful, I started scabbing and had some earache but even with the meds it was not that bad. By Christmas I was feeling much better and able to eat "real" food such as shrimp,stuffing,mashed potatoes and spinach dip. Yesterday was a little bad as I lost a scab and endured some more ear pain but I managed to get through it. Then today was amazing I actually ate some home made Lasagna and Italian Sausage and haven't even taken my pain medicine for today. I was amazed that by day 5 of Recovery I would be doing so well. The only down side is that I really haven't gotten my voice back and return to work Wednesday. I write all this to give you guys who are about to under go the surgery some hope. I am not gonna lie to you it is very uncomfortable at times but not completely unbearable. I am glad that I had the Surgery and hope that I was positive for everybody going in to surgery and for those of you who have been having a bad recovery I hope that you guys are staying positive because It will get better! Well If u have any questions please feel free ask me I will be more than happy to respond! Well The Best of Luck to Everybody!

Last edited by minmin630; 12-29-2004 at 05:32 PM.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:30 PM   #12
    minmin630
    (female)

minmin630 HB User

momto5littles~ I to have been very nauseas and am now starting to wonder If I swallowed blood. I have not bleed once since my surgery last Wednesday and have recently been sick to my stomach. I just assumed that I may have been sick to my stomach beacause I lowered the amount of pain meds that I was on....However I have friends who are nurses and stuff who said that I wasn't on the meds long enough to start getting sick from lowering the dose so I was starting to wonder If maybe the reason that I am sick is maybe that I am swallowing my blood. Does anyone know if that can make you sick? If you do can you please respond....Thanks!

Old 12-27-2004, 08:05 PM   #13
    dompiz
    (female)

dompiz HB User

minmin & momto5: I felt I should definitely respond to your questions about bleeding, since I had to have sugery again to stop the bleeding that I had on day 8. The night I started to bleed, I was eating chicken broth and after swallowing my sip of soup I could feel something (blood) run down the side of my throat, it's different than swallowing something you're drinking and a lot different from swallowing saliva. I am almost 100% sure you'd know if you were bleeding. My bleeding stopped and started again about 4 times and I knew immediately when it started to bleed again. A little bit of blood is not something to worry about, it's when you bleed a lot that you need to go to the ER, when I started to bleed the first time, if I were to guess at how much, I would say 1/3 cup poured into the sink before I left for the hospital, then at the hospital, it was a LOT more, they were actually worried at the amount of blood lost. I kept from swallowing after that very first swallow by leaning forward and letting it pour into a basin. Not only do you feel the blood, I felt a scab that had pulled away from the healing area, it was stuck in my teeth (I know...gross). Now as far as throwing up from swallowing blood....yes, it's almost a guarantee that you will if you are one who throws up, I on the other hand get sick to my stomach possibly once every 5 years. I'm sure it's the fact that I have a very strong stomach, which is why I never threw up, I did gag and get the dry heaves and thought I was going to throw up, but never did. You could possibly be getting sick to your stomach from the continued use of painkillers and antibitocs because they are very hard on your stomach, especially if you haven't been eating.

I hope I've been able to answer some of your questions and put you a little at ease that it most likely is NOT swallowing blood that is making you sick. Let me know if there's anything else you're wondering. Here's to feeling better soon !!!!

Old 12-27-2004, 08:59 PM   #14
    minmin630
    (female)

minmin630 HB User

I only had a scab on my right side fall off the one on my left is still there I can feel it. It almost wants to come off... it is just hanging there. I was just wondering about the blood thing because I have not had any bleeding what so ever which I find weird because my dr said I probably would and I was wondering if I really could of swallowed some and not known about it. I thankyou for answering that for me and telling me probably not because I would feel it... that is so good to know! I am guessing that the sick to my stomach may have something to do with the fact that I stopped taking my pain medicines so quickly. I never really started getting sick till Christmas when I stopped taking my pain medicines on a daily basis. I don't think the sick feeling comes from the medicines strenght as I can handle quite a bit and have also been eating what I feel is a ton of food for only 6 days of recovery. Has anybody who slowed down on there pain medicine get a weird almost dizzy and sick to there stomach feeling...or am I the only one. Well I hope that this dizziness are nauseas feeling go away soon I have to go back to work in a lil over 24 hours . Well here is to feeling better soon!

Last edited by minmin630; 12-27-2004 at 09:04 PM.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:19 PM   #15
    momto5littles
    (female)

momto5littles HB User

minmin630,
    How old are you? I'm finding your recovery remarkable!

I continue to be on drugs 24/7. I havne't been sick this whole time until today, so I find it odd that I would all of a sudden get sick from the meds. My eating has been quite good today too. Hmm. Well, I did attempt to sit up on the couch today, so maybe that's just too much for me at this point (hard to imagine!!).

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know I'd likely know if it was blood or not.

See you tomorrow!

Closed Thread