It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2005, 07:48 AM   #181
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

Quote:
    It seems that after 3 days I did better with heat,
    Wow, I thought the cold would have felt better for a longer period of time. I will keep that in mind. I am learning so much and I thank all of you for your input. Hopefully, when all of this is over I'll be able to help someone out just like you guys are doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 07:51 AM   #182
    luckyjerk
    (male)

luckyjerk HB User

the ice collar didn't help me. i just used frozen drinks, popcicles, etc. to try and numb from the inside. and yes, heat works after a few days - espcially on your jaw. i was hesitant to start sipping warm liquids, but they help loosen the muscles up and actually make swallowing easier from that perspective. but obviously it's all going to be individual - i'm still eating popcicles when i wake up (3 times a night).

Last edited by luckyjerk; 03-25-2005 at 07:52 AM.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:04 AM   #183
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Oh yes I am sure there are individual variations to all of this. As I like to say "Your Mileage May Vary."

Popsicles in the middle of the night. Hmmm, sounds reasonable to me I guess I could move the small dorm refrigerator I have in the garage, upstairs in the bedroom. Then I could have plenty of cold stuff.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:51 AM   #184
    luckyjerk
    (male)

luckyjerk HB User

that would be a great idea. i would also take the pre-mixed jello cups and put them in the freezer for a couple of hours. they were a good swtich from popcicles. i never had much luck with anything dairy - coated my throat too much. sherbet was ok. icy was much better than creamy. best of luck to you. i hope you have someone staying with you to help.

Old 03-25-2005, 11:06 AM   #185
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Yes I do have someone staying with me, thank goodness.

Frozen jello sounds interesting. I've never tried that before. I'll keep it in mind about the sherbert.

Old 03-25-2005, 11:25 AM   #186
    cutsygirl79

cutsygirl79 HB User

Day 5 for me. Yikes...I'm feeling overwhelmed. Was anyone coughing horribly at this point in the recovery? I sound phlemgy when I cough and it's SO painful.

Did everyone else get antibiotics? I only got prescriptions for tylenol w/ codine and vicodin.

So does everyone else think that I should just take the tylenol w/codine now? I've been taking the vicodin only, because I'm worried about the pain. But my stomach hurts all the time now. Maybe i should stop taking the vicodin.

Mom22--great to see that you're feeling somewhat better. And I hope that you don't catch what your kids have. As far as my scabbing is concerened, mine is more of a white coating in my throat area. With it looking a little cottage cheesy in the tonsil areas. I thought that a little section of it came off yesterday, but it looks like it's starting to get covered in scabbing again.

I have not had a BM yet, so I'm asking the husband to go and get me some stool softner, anyone have that problem too?

Old 03-25-2005, 12:05 PM   #187
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Cutsygirl, I have felt like I need to cough but have been trying to avoid it. Every time I try I feel like something bad will happen. It does feel phlemy but I'm drinking lots of water and that helps. Yes, I guess cottage cheese is a good description. That's what mine looks like. I have not had a bowel movement either yet. As for the pain meds I feel soooo much better without. I had nightmares with the codeine that I took last night. My mom got me some extra strength liquid tylenol and it is actually helping. Antibiotic-yes I'm taking Zithromax. He said he usually prescribes Amoxycillan but I'm allergic to penecillan (sp?).

Old 03-25-2005, 12:10 PM   #188
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Mom22--Does the water help soothe the throat enough to keep you from coughing? I don't want to go through any coughing fits if I can help it.

Old 03-25-2005, 01:21 PM   #189
    sashaspy
    (female)

sashaspy HB User

Hey LuckyJerk,how are you feeling???

Old 03-25-2005, 02:33 PM   #190
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbaum
    Mom22--Does the water help soothe the throat enough to keep you from coughing? I don't want to go through any coughing fits if I can help it.
    Yes, I think the coldness helps soothe the throat. It definitely thins the mucous too.

Old 03-25-2005, 03:04 PM   #191
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Another reason to keep drinking and drinking and drinking.

I'm going to rearrange the bedroom and put the dorm fridge up by the bed and put a larger night table close as well. That way I'll have room for water, the humidifier and my favorite must-have toy--my lap top.

Old 03-25-2005, 03:49 PM   #192
    Charlatan
    (female)

Charlatan HB User

Hi dbaum

I'm in for my tonsillectomy on the 6th, so I should be going through the nastiest of stages by the time you have yours done (the 12th, right?). I shall hopefully be well enough to post on here throughout, though. I'm very nervous about the prospect of having my throat hacked apart, but by the end of April, we'll both be feeling much better for it, finger's crossed.

Old 03-25-2005, 04:10 PM   #193
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Hi Charlatan, I wish you the best of luck and hopefully we will be able communicate through this whole thing. I know it's going to be tough but I also know it will be worth it in the long run. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

What method is your ENT using? Mine is using electrocautery.

One thing I can say is this board is the best and I have learned so much.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:56 PM   #194
    Charlatan
    (female)

Charlatan HB User

Thanks dbaum, and I wish you well for your operation and recovery too.
    Aye, I'm having electrocautery and sutures. In the UK, we are told to "eat and drink as normal", after the surgery. Easier said than done, most likely, but eating hard foods is supposed to aid the healing process and help keep the sockets clean, thus helping prevent infection. I think I'll be happy just being able to eat anything at all! lol
    In fact, they don't discharge us from hospital until we have eaten toast!!
    I am 31, by the way.
    We both know it's going to be no picnic, but hey, no pain, no gain! That's what we will have to keep reminding ourselves when we are starting to regret having had the surgery done!
    My ENT doctor mentioned that it can affect taste afterwards and is sometimes PERMANENT! Hope not! I want my chocolate to taste like chocolate!

Old 03-26-2005, 12:36 AM   #195
    cutsygirl79

cutsygirl79 HB User

So, if i get past day 6, what's to be expected? I think my scabs are starting to fall off, but at this point I'm not too sure. Hope everyone's doing well. I'm SO glad I found this message board, because I don't know anyone who relates to what I'm going through. I think I may be getting on my husband's nerves... =(

Closed Thread