It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2005, 02:44 PM   #16
    rajaraja1
    (female)

rajaraja1 HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

hey littlemissy.. i'm the one that wrote about the pineapple.. i'm glad it helped!!!! hang in there... it is frustrating.. believe me.. i just wrote about my past couple of days.. but it will pass.. i have to remember that and so should you... do whatever it takes to make you as comfortable as possible..

if you have any questions.. ask them on the boards and someone will write back..

here's to a speedy recovery!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #17
    rajaraja1
    (female)

rajaraja1 HB User

Phoenixbleu- glad to hear your husband is doing a bit better

i didn't have a bowel movement until day 8 maybe.. and then had another one the next day.. and its day 11 and i haven't had another one since.. i was still on liquids though.. i have my post op doctor's appointment tomorrow am.. i'll ask my ent.. and i'll report back

hope things get better...

i'm sure its tough for you.. because i see the frustration on my boyfriends face when i break down or get difficult about eating or meds.. and i know he's doing his best and it hurts him to see me in pain..

hang in there... its hard on both sides

Old 01-16-2005, 11:08 PM   #18
    strangecookie
    (female)

strangecookie HB User

Hey all from a 32 year old 19 day post-op. I'm doing very well all and i was at total wreck, so hang in there...it gets MUCH better. This weekend i ate enough to gain all the weight i lost back and then some. i noticed that carbonated drinks and oj still hurt and there is still some discomfort, but it's better.

Rajaraja, i'm sorry that you're having so much pain. it's strange. maybe everyone's body heals very differently. you were doing much better than i was the first 3 days or so, and now at day 11 much worse. My frist week was by far the worst. the first few days for me were a living hell.

I also noticed that ice-packs, gum, cloroseptic helped a lot...and that the painkillers did me more harm than i care to go into. (vomit, halucinating, etc.)

Old 01-17-2005, 01:15 AM   #19
    minmin630
    (female)

minmin630 HB User

Rajaraja1~ I am sorry to hear that there is unbearble pain in your right side. I still have unbearable pain in my left ear and throat and am on day 26 of my recovery. I have had breakdowns left and right as I haven't really slept really and have been rundown. I thought it was due to a sinus infection but I have been treating that and still have the pain on the left side. I have been trying my best not to let it bring me down...well anymore than it already has. I however now think I made things worse as I went out to a club downtown Saturday ( I live in Chicago and It was in the negitives) so now I think I made my self more rundown. Well I am taking antibiotics and am hoping to feel a lil better. I am still very swollen and scabbing at day 26 and still have that discomfort on my left side. My dr said that is common as It takes a full month to month and a half to feel totally recovered. I will tell you just to hang in there as It will get better.

Hope everyone is feeling better!

StrangeCookie~ It will take a while to get better. I was like you I was fine in the beginning then around day 12 it went down hill and even today at day 26 am in major discomfort on my left side. My dr said give it another week and if It ain't better he will look at again. He said that people are age take an average of a month to a month and a half to be fully recovered. Hnag in there too it will get better with time

Last edited by minmin630; 01-17-2005 at 01:16 AM.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:14 PM   #20
    lilmissy
    (female)

lilmissy HB User

rajaraja - I hope you're feeling better. how did the post op appt go? i haven't been outside once, and i'm starting to get cabin fever.

today is day 5 and things are one again...the same.
    i have finally discovered a way to take my meds without the pain....mix it with milk...in my case chocolate milk. =)

i'm still sipping broth.

can anyone tell me when they moved onto something more solid? applesauce at least?

Also, when do the docs start taking away your pain meds? i'm scared.

thanks everyone.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #21
    rajaraja1
    (female)

rajaraja1 HB User

hello everyone

today was my first time out of my apartment!!! i walked.. and drived and felt the sun on me.

today was my post op appointment. my ent said that i'm doing fine. i just started later end of the worse days and that part on my right side is just stubborn and is raw because its on that bridge part of the mouth so that's why it hurts to talk still and when i eat soft foods. no sign of infections in my throat or ears. he said to continue the pain meds when needed and that by next week i'll feel much better.

about the BOWEL movements.. he said that the meds and my liquid diet are keeping me from the movements soo he suggested a stool softener. so i got SUFACK stool softener, its sodium free and conatins no harsh stimulants that can upset your stomach.. figure that's best since there's hardly anything up in there.

lil missy- i'm still on liquids.. this is my 12 day and its because of where its raw on my right side.. so hopefully you'll be like the others and will be on soft foods soon.. hang in there with as my best friend and i like to call it "room-a-tizm".. tv, magazines, books, cds and dvds have been my best friend. you need your rest to get thru the tough parts.. hope you have a speedy recovery..

strangecookie and minmin.. thanks for the words..

hersey02.. how ya doing?

Old 01-17-2005, 03:41 PM   #22
    Hershey02
    (female)

Hershey02 HB User

Rajarja1

I made it thru my first day of work okay. It was rough but I made it . I had one of the nurses at work start an IV and give me fluids which really helped. I was more dehydrated than I thought. My pain on the right side is a little better today so hopefully by tomorrow I'll try eating something a little more solid. I don't have my post op visit until Thurs. I'm going to mention my lack of bowel movement to my Dr also. It's almost been 2 weeks since I've gone to the bathroom. Is what you got over the counter or prescription?

Old 01-17-2005, 04:17 PM   #23
    rajaraja1
    (female)

rajaraja1 HB User

hersey02-

glad to hear you are doing better!!!! that stuff is over the counter.. i got it at Sav-on

i hear ya on the dehydration.. i'm trying to up my water intake today as well, now that i can swallow more of it.

so i just had one scrambled egg!!!!!!!!!!! i'm sure it helped that i had just taken my pain meds.. but.. it hurt but it was bearable!!! yeah!!!! super happy!!! that means i'm this much closer to finally having candied yams and mac and cheese from M&M's soul food!!! yummers. my stomach right now is like "what is this, none liquid thing you have allowed to enter my domain" i want to start off slow.. and i don't want to gain all the weight back either.. but i'm sure i will..

solid foods seems sooo far away.. but its okay.. i've made it this far without them..

here's to the dream of solid foods!!!

Old 01-17-2005, 08:29 PM   #24
    lilmissy
    (female)

lilmissy HB User

hi everyone,
    i was wondering, how much weight have you lost? since i planned the surgery after the holidays, i was a little more liberal with the helpings since i figured i'd lose it. today is day 5 of liquids and i'm shocked to see i've only lost one pound.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:17 AM   #25
    Anarchist

Anarchist HB User

Day 15-

I wont be posting much anymore. But I will be lurking and reading on the occasion. I am about 95% normal as of now. Still a little swelling, but no pain, and have resumed normal diet. I am even back to eating the worlds hottest chicken wings, chilli, and beer.. lol. The ability for me to eat and breath through my mouth has already been greatly improved over when I had tonsils. It feels funny becuase as soon as I get some food close to the back of my mouth, swoosh its already down my throat! Compared to when I had tonsils, I always had to force my food between my tonsils.

I am never doing this again!! If my tonsils grow back, they will have to bury me with them.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:25 AM   #26
    mgowdy
    (female)

mgowdy HB User

I have been reading these threads since last week, but not checked for a few days. My daughter had her surgery Jan. 3. It was terrible for her until Jan. 13. She went back to college on the 11th and called me on the 12th sobbing so hard I couldn't understand her. I had to drive 2 hours to pick her up the next day. She really started feeling better that day and then was much better over the weekend. She went back yesterday and she's back to feeling more herself. She's finally started eating again, but is frustrated because she said nothing tastes the way it should. She said unless it is very salty, she can't hardly taste it. Is anyone else experiencing that? She's eating many more things now, but is still not going with sharp/rough things. She lost 15 pounds from her 130lb start (for lilmissy). I checked her throat and I can still see white patches and scabs so I know there is still more to go. She stopped taking her pain medicine (loritab) on the 12th and went to extra strength Tylenol (for lilmissy). You all have helped me with what to tell her along the way the last two weeks, and reading this morning that someone said it takes a month to a month and a half to get back to normal will be helpful to tell her too. I'll keep reading to see if I pick up any more tidbits to pass on even though she's on her way to recovery.

Good luck to all of you!

Old 01-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #27
    katlynn
    (female)

katlynn HB User

lilmissy- I too ate more than I should have during the holidays in preparation for losing weight. My doctor told me his adult patients usually lose 10-15 pounds. I'm disappointed to say that I didn't even lose the weight I gained over the holidays. That was suppossed to be my silver lining, didn't happen!

Old 01-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #28
    minmin630
    (female)

minmin630 HB User

Okay katlynn~ that is strange because I lost 11 pounds and I ate solids on day 4...I think it may have to do with the fact that I ate smaller amounts then normal as it did hurt to swallow.

mgowdy~ I and nlh4msu were both of the ones that said that I takes a month to a month and a half for a full recovery in adults and I am experiencing that 1st hand. I had what you would call a pretty easy recovery...however along the way I hit some bumbs in the road. I still have scabbing and will be a month post-op tomorrow...however there is not as many as there were 2 weeks ago when I saw my dr so that is a good thing. Just tell her to hang in there it will get better and the taste will take a while to come back as everything just started getting its taste back.

Well I am at work and need to get outta here as I am sick and just wanna lay in my bed. Hey I have a very bad cold and bronchitis but am pleased to report that there is absolutley no irritation in my throat....so all of you reading this that need your tonsils out but dont wanna get them out because of the pain ....I would really encourage you to have them taken out because the pain goes away but the joy of having no throat infections is well worth it. To all of you still in pain hang in there as it will get better and when you are all healed and have no throat infections you will be so much happier

Last edited by minmin630; 01-18-2005 at 03:37 PM.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:35 PM   #29
    lilmissy
    (female)

lilmissy HB User

mgowdy and katlynn - thanks for the responses. katlynn- when did you have your surgery?

today was my first day out. i've been going stir crazy and felt well enough to make a trip out to best buy and walgreens. i was hoping to go to target too.
    i think i overestimated my health b/c i nearly passed out in the dvd aisle.
    i've never felt so weak. the car ride made me extrememly nauseaous. rajaraja - how did you drive the other day?
    i think this is a side effect of the painkillers, but i can't imagine going off them at this point. the doc has given me two more refills, but at the dosage i'm taking, i'm going through one bottle every two days. yikes!
    i think i am feeling better tho, or at least getting used to how things are.
    mentally, i feel really sad for some strange reason. i think b/c the recovery is lonely...no one knows how you really feel except for the people on these boards...so thanks everyone.
    my post-op appt is tomorrow. we'll see how it goes. i'm not planning on going back to work until feb. yay!
    minmin- how are you doing?

Old 01-19-2005, 12:29 AM   #30
    minmin630
    (female)

minmin630 HB User

lilmissy~ I am still sick....I actually have been running a fever all night It was at 103 but now is at about 100 so hopefully the meds I am on will get rid of this. I think that I have made myself run down because I think I pushed myself to much. I am glad to hear that you are not returning to work till Feburary. I returned to work on day 7 and could barely talk and I think that pushing myself that soon didn't help. I still get a lil exhausted when out for a long period of time....so just take it one day at a time. Well I hope that you are feeling much better!

Closed Thread