It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2005, 07:08 PM   #286
    LoneMountain

LoneMountain HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

Hi all,

Sounde like you Pre Ops have things figured out pretty well! I like what I'm reading on your grocery lists - it has all helped me from time to time. You will be surprised how you will like popsicles or jello or anything one day, but can't even think about eating it the next day.

This was the end of day 7 and it started out rough, but finished with a slice of Marie Callendar's Chocolate Creme Pie... soft crust and all! I also had small slices of apple today which fulfilled the need for some crunch in my teeth! All in all, recovery is going well. I will try to put in some hours at work tomorrow.

* something to add to the groceries - Hot chocolate... well WARM chocolate. It's been hitting the spot in the mornings.

On to day 8 - As always hope tomorrow is better than today!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 07:17 PM   #287
    Ariane05
    (female)

Ariane05 HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

Wow, Charlatan. I feel exactly the same way sometimes. I came down with strep, pharyngitis, a viral infection and an ear infection a few weeks ago, which is what prompted my doctor and then the ENT to say it's time for the tonsils to go. The viral infection and pharyngitis made it very painful to swallow and I had to be put on liquid antibiotics, which've made it so I can't taste anything but the gross medicine but I'm hoping that'll go away in time for me to have a couple days of pigging out before the surgery.

Everyone around me is acting like it's not a big deal, or that I'm making it worse than it is, or just imagining it and I think they're probably tired of hearing about the surgery. I can't help it though, I'm pretty scared of waking up with everything swollen and bloody and having trouble swallowing and oh yes, the pain.

I've been constantly tired for about a year now myself and I can't wait for that to go away. I miss having the energy to do anything. I suppose a few weeks of pain is worth it to feel better overall. My doctor also said he thinks it will help me more than the ENT said it will, so I'm going to go with that even though I am concerned. I think I have to try to do something to help myself, I don't think I'm supposed to feel this rundown all the time at 30

Old 03-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #288
    Charlatan
    (female)

Charlatan HB User

Ariane! I can almost say DITTO to all you just said. I'm kind of confuddled though, because I'm having people around me tell me that the tonsils and lymph nodes inflaming are a symptom that something is wrong and that having the tonsils removed will not stop the other symptoms, until the source of the problem is diagnosed and treated.

So if anyone else had the same symptoms and has since had a tonsillectomy and is well now, then I would love to hear.
    Yeah, I have phayngitis all the time now. The tonsils did start off as being full of pus, so was a bacterial infection and they got so big, I thought they would block off my airway, over Christmas. Now they've calmed down a tad, but I'm still unwell.

I'm having the same problem, with people around me not understanding how it feels for me, and thinking the operation is a breeze, and that I'll just have a sore throat for a couple of days afterwards and am being a drama queen.
    But WE KNOW what to expect, because we have done our homework and so have good reason to be anxious!!
    I miss having my life too, I just don't feel like doing any of the things I used to do. Last week I redcorated a room and I could only do a couple of hours a day because I was tired and the paint fumes killed my throat.
    So I know something is wrong.

Anyway, babble over. Sorry for any typos, but it's erm... almost 4am here. lol

Bev and Lone.. thanks for the updates on your progress, yer doing brilliantly, by all accounts. Good stuff!

Old 03-30-2005, 08:42 PM   #289
    BevS
    (female)

BevS HB User

Charlatan - If people tell you "its a breeze and expect you to have a sore throat for a few days" they are crazy. I have had numerous surgeries - 3 laparoscopies, one breast tumor removed, twins by c section after three straight weeks in the hospital because one of the sacs broke and I was in labor for all three weeks, they would give me medicine to hopefully stop the labor, then when they finally couldn't stop the labor no matter what meds. I had a c section with general anesthesia because after 8 sticks for the epidural they gave up - and let me tell you, the tonsillectomy was the worst pain I've ever had, including two dry sockets when I had my wisdom teeth out. Now, all of that said, not to scare you, but to reassure you that if anybody tells you that you are being a drama queen, hyperchondriac or anything short of a brave person you rest assured they DON'T know what they are talking about. I DO NOT regret the tonsillectomy, but it was painful but I got through it and am nearly back to normal. It still hurts a little, especially when I yawn, for whatever reason, but just think, once you get through these few weeks, hopefully all of our lives will be improved. I needed my tonsils out at age 6, not 46! FYI - I have heard some reasons that it is harder on an adult, including that usually they are enlarged and very scarred up from all the infections, something about the nerves being deeper, or something, anyway, my ENT had his out when he was in college so he was very honest and sympathetic and he said he believes its harder on adults. Hang in there guys, I KNOW its rough cause I've been through it. These boards were a blessing for me to find because NOBODY family nor friends has suffered like me with tonsillities all their lives, my husband gets a sore throat about once every three years that lasts for about a day.... so, truly nobody understands about tonsil stones, etc. I am so happy to never have to get a flashlight and mirror out again!!!! Beverly

Old 03-30-2005, 10:26 PM   #290
    Ariane05
    (female)

Ariane05 HB User

Hi everyone, I can't sleep now because I've been reading more old posts and freaking myself out again. I've had a few doctors recommend a tonsillectomy over the last few years and I kept avoiding it but after this latest round I think it's finally time to get it done. I went and got my bloodwork done yesterday so between that and scheduling the surgery it's finally settling in that this is real

Charlatan, I don't know anything about the lymph nodes but I've always heard they were one of the symptoms of tonsillitis. Hopefully that's all (ha!) that it is in your case. I have been so tired for so long I've almost forgotten what it felt like to have energy like a normal person. I have to clean the house in stages, I can only manage to do a little bit every day instead of half-a-day cleaning marathons like I used to do.

dbaum, I do have a humidifier but I need a new filter for it. On my list if things to get before Tuesday. Thanks for the tip about Ensure being too thick. Now I need to figure out what types of baby food I might be able to live with, any suggestions? Going to get some gum too, definitely!

Kind of bummed that most people can't talk above a whisper for 8 days or so. I am supposed to start taking a class the Monday after my surgery. Been signed up for it for 2 months, long before I got sick this last time. Do I have any realistic chance of being able to drive to/from and sit through a 5 hour class 3 days a week starting a week later?

Last edited by Ariane05; 03-30-2005 at 10:35 PM.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:44 AM   #291
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Quote:
    So if anyone else had the same symptoms and has since had a tonsillectomy and is well now,
    I would like to know as well. No one, outside of the medical profession, believes I could feel the way I do and I've been told I need to get more exercise and so on. I'm sure everyone has heard the same thing.

OK BevS, you've, kind of freaked me out a bit with your description of the pain. But that's OK because you are right. I would rather hope for the best and expect the worst. That way I won't be disappointed.

Charlatan--Sorry to hear about your boyfriend. Do you have anyone who can stay with you and help you out? I don't think it's a good idea to be alone.

LoneMountain--Congrats on the Marie Callendar's Pie. I just love her pies so I'll have to remember that after the first week. :-)

Ariane--Yep, watch out for thick stuff like Ensure and even dairy products. As for baby food suggestions, Shipsbelle recommended the Gerber2 for infants so there were no chunks in it. She said she got the meat and veggie mixes and then used the meat ones to mix with very thin mashed potatoes.

We're going to great. Sure we're gonna be really cranky and whiney for a while but that's what this board is for.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:54 AM   #292
    cutsygirl79

cutsygirl79 HB User

BevS--I totally hear you on the yawning. I've been yawning non-stop today and it's pretty painful. And it seems the more I can't yawn, the more my body needs to yawn. How long has it been since you've had surgery?

Old 03-31-2005, 03:41 AM   #293
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Cutsy--Good question I never thought about yawning being a problem. I know you can't cough or clear your throat. Goodness sakes, how do you keep from yawning when you're so tired from lack of sleep

Old 03-31-2005, 05:33 AM   #294
    Charlatan
    (female)

Charlatan HB User

G'day all. Hope the day finds everyone in high(ish) spirits.

I was grinning, thinking about the yawning... it's the funny faces people pull, when trying to stifle a yawn. Hehe!

Adriane - I too can barely remember feeling on top form and I certainly cannot remember life without a sore throat! That has been going on for a long, long time.
    I should find out late today whether my BF is coming over, or not. Not really got anyone here to help out. My parents are not in good health anyway and they're two of the people who believe I'm making a big monster deal over nothing.
    Ah well, will see what occurs.

Thanks for all the info, Bev. Hope you're doing well. Thanks to everyone who's been posting and helping out us "pre-ops" with good info.

Oh.. anyone know if this can all affect the sinuses? Been having some pain and discomfort for a while.

Last edited by Charlatan; 03-31-2005 at 05:33 AM.

Old 03-31-2005, 05:40 AM   #295
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Oh Charlatan, I do hope BF will be able to be there with you. It's so important to have someone with you for a bit to make sure you are OK.

As for the sinues being corrected, I have not heard anything about that. It would be nice. I have such a problem with post nasal drip, but I think I will continue to have that. The only difference is it won't be dripping on the tonsils and causing them to inflame even more.

Last edited by dbaum; 03-31-2005 at 05:40 AM.

Old 03-31-2005, 05:51 AM   #296
    Charlatan
    (female)

Charlatan HB User

Hi dbaum, I have post nasal drippy probs too. I guess I've drummed it into my head a tonsillectomy will be a cure-all, else I just know I will do a runner from the hospital, before they take me down!

I know the hospital don't discharge you unless you have someone at home with you for the first 24 or 48 hours, until the anaesthetic has worn off properly.
    Well, that's assuming the toast has been eaten first, of course.

Old 03-31-2005, 05:53 AM   #297
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

OUCH! not another word about crunchy toast Just make sure you have everything you need and just hope that BF can be there with you.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:13 AM   #298
    Charlatan
    (female)

Charlatan HB User

Oooh, quiet here today. Yeah, I should find out later what the BF is doing. Maybe he will come the following week instead, but I hope to be on the mend by then!
    My sinus hurts. I daren't tell the doc, in case they use that as an excuse to delay my operation. Maybe if I use the humidifier tonight it would help with that?
    Tis truly the final countdown now!

Old 03-31-2005, 08:58 AM   #299
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Hi Charlatan--Yep, it's a bit quiet today. But, I am supposed to be working. So, this will be short. The humidifier certainly won't hurt and at this late date I would try it for sure. I really, really hope you get good news from BF.

So, what's the exact date you're schedule for surger?

Old 03-31-2005, 09:10 AM   #300
    Charlatan
    (female)

Charlatan HB User

Blimey, I want a job like yours, where I get to go on the internet all the time. LOL!
    I have my op on the 6th, the day after Adriane. I have to spend the night in hospital though, so I won't be back on here til the 7th or 8th - until that crunchy toast has gone down my throat.

Last edited by Charlatan; 03-31-2005 at 09:12 AM.

Closed Thread