It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2005, 01:11 AM   #31
    strangecookie
    (female)

strangecookie HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

i just wanted to check and and i noted something after reading posts. I think the weakness is coming from the painkillers for those of you guys taking them past day 5. i was in hell and my mom forced me to stop taking them on day 5 because i kept puking...but i must say that by day 7 i was really quite energetic even though it hurt to swollow. by day 11 i was fanatically cleaning the garage out. I also never had antibiotics because i couldn't keep them down...but in the end it seems my recovery was faster than most when i stopped the painmeds.

now it's been exactly 3 weeks. i did loose weight although i don't have a scale. I'd guess 5lbs, but i'm sure eating a lot now. i will try to stop that!

Energy I'm at 100%, but my throat still hurts to swollow a bit and certain drinks and food are icky. Carbonated drinks taste very weird as does wine...

Happy to report that this tonsillectomy made me a non-smoker. It's funny now i can hardly remember those posts from 2 and 3 weeks ago that were so awful i had everyone feeling quite sorry for me. oh thank goodness i'm so much better! You will be too very soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2005, 07:16 AM   #32
    katlynn
    (female)

katlynn HB User

lilmissy- I had my surgery on Jan. 3rd. I was lucky, I was eating soft foods by day 3 and back to almost normal by day 8.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:19 PM   #33
    lilmissy
    (female)

lilmissy HB User

strangecookie - glad to hear you're feeling better. i think you're right about the painkillers. unfortunately, when i don't take it, the pain is unbearable...in my ears, throat and neck. at this point, i can't imagine not taking it. thanks for the advice tho.

katlynn- you are lucky that you had such a smooth recovery. i'm jealous!

i've been craving hot apple pie and ice cream....can't wait til i can eat.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #34
    Shipsbelle
    (female)

Shipsbelle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilmissy
    .... the pain is unbearable...in my ears, throat and neck. at this point, i can't imagine not taking it.
    Hey lilmissy

Are you chewing gum? I found that chewing gum kept the throat from drying out ( painkillers can cause the mucous membranes to dry out) and also the chewing movement relieved my ear aches and the pain under the jaw associated with it. If you haven't tried it, I urge you to see if this will help you. I was chewing a stick about every hour for several days. I'm 16 days post op and I can say that the gum definately brought relief and I still pop a stick a few times a day just for the jaw exercise. You will feel better~~it just takes a little while for your body to mend. OH, I'm 67 years old and today I went to Wendy's and had chili and a frosty !

Old 01-19-2005, 08:40 PM   #35
    lilmissy
    (female)

lilmissy HB User

shipsbelle - i have not tried chewing gum, but will definitely give it a try. 67?!! i feel like such a wimp compared to you. congrats on your recovery. frosty sounds delicious.

minmin- sorry to hear you still have a fever. hopefully you can take it easy at work.

the doc told me today that i need to cut down on the pain meds. i tried taking less and am in extreme pain from my throat and ears. but i will tough it out.

he was surprised that i hadn't lost any weight and said it was due to my inactivity. so much pain meds and all i can do is lie in bed and watch tv.

so i'm going to try and walk a little each day....at least get some fresh air.
    thanks for the tips everyone.

oh..and regarding the bm....he suggested a OTC stool softener as well. b/c i still can't swallow the pills, i'll have to pour the gel into a tsp.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #36
    Phoenixbleu
    (female)

Phoenixbleu HB User

Well, my husband is on day 14 today.. On day 11 he finally had a bowel movement and that seems to be somewhat back to normal now. He is eating regular food again, just has to chew a long time before swallowing. He thinks he has lost a little over 5 lbs. (I think he lost much more because his face is thinner now). His breath has improved 100% so I don't hesitate to kiss him now, and he rarely snores now.

Thanks for the advice everyone. This surgery has been a success in my opinion and I'm glad he did it. Last post on this topic from me.

Last edited by Phoenixbleu; 01-21-2005 at 03:57 PM.

Old 01-21-2005, 05:13 PM   #37
    ojmophine
    (female)

ojmophine HB User

Phoenixbleu, that's great news!

If I'd had my operation done when it was set for, I would be on day 11 now.
    My ENT doc decided at the last minute he wouldn't do it, as he doesn't think it will "cure" me. He said he doesn't like doing tonsillectomies on adults unless absolutely necessary. Gawd. So I may still need it done at some point, cos I am no better. Can't even open my mouth to yawn.
    Oh well.

Not much being posted lately, maybe yer all much better now

Keep on keepin' on.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:30 PM   #38
    GlassHalfFull
    (female)

GlassHalfFull HB User

Hi all...I'm on day 3.5 after my surgery, and I am so glad I did it. The surgery itself was a breeze, so if any of you are scared of that, don't be. Afterwards, I was in quite a bit of pain, and I still am. But nothing nightmare-ish. My ears don't hurt, and that was one of my biggest fears.

My best friend lately has been my ice shaver/sno cone maker. It has really helped me through the process. I have been very careful about what I eat/drink. I didn't have any post surgery bleeding, and I don't want to mess that up now. Easy Mac and Cheese has served as the most solid type of food I've been able to eat. Baby food and applesauce have also been plesant surprises!

Now that the scabs are formed, I feel a different pain than I did the first few days. I guess that's a sign of progress. I also have a different taste in my mouth, but the doctor warned me of that.

I, however, can't chew gum at all. I'm much better off just "eating" ice shavings if possible.

I guess I'd like to say that this board really helped me to go into my surgery feeling educated. I knew what to expect from the best and the worst possible scenarios. To anybody new reading this, I truly encourage you to follow your gut feeling, and to not be scared. There are a lot of good doctors out there to help you make an educated decision. While many doctors have many opinions, I think it's best to see as many doctors as possible to make you feel comfortable with your decision.

Good luck to all, and congrats to all of you who are doing well!

Old 01-24-2005, 08:25 AM   #39
    ojmophine
    (female)

ojmophine HB User

I was wondering whether any of you experienced a swollen uvula prior to having your tonsils removed? Mine's all swollen and infected all the time, along with my bad throat.

GlassHalfFull... you seem to be doing great.. hope your recovery stays good. Your last posting helped eased my nerves a tad.. I'm sure I'm gonna have to have my tonsils out soon.

Keep on keepin' on.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:56 PM   #40
    scooch
    (male)

scooch HB User

Hello all!! I am a 36 year old and I am scheduled for surgery on Jan 31st. The doc is taking out my tonsils, adenoids, and uvula. To say the least, I am nevous as heck, and am considering canceling. I do have problems with sleep-apnea, snoring, and tonsillitis, but have noticed a reduction in those symptoms since eating right, dieting, and light exercise(lost 20 pounds so far). I have read some of your testimonials, and am frankly even more uncertain as to what to do. I am a stay at home dad with four kids to raise and my wife works full time and cannot take time off. Perhaps if I just take better care of myself, this would be unnecessary?!?!?!?!?! Anyway, I just thought I would put my "two-cents" in. Maybe I'm just being kinda wimpy, but this is obviously a big decision and .....well, I am just flat out confused.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:15 PM   #41
    strangecookie
    (female)

strangecookie HB User

i thought i'd check in here as it's almost 1 month and i'm feeling quite good now. i still can't drink carbonated drinks and somehow swollowing food is strange. anyone else have this?

other than this, scooch, wow, stay at home w/4 kids is pretty tough for this surgery. you'll definitly need help for a week plus. it's hard, but sleep apnea is really awful. you'll get through the surgery just fine after that first week and a half. then you'll be glad you did it.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:26 PM   #42
    drummer04

drummer04 HB User

Well, I am finishing up day 6 after the surgery and I must say today was the worst day I have had yet. I think the scabs are coming off, which is leaving my throat very sore and almost a raw like feeling. Talked to the doctor today and he said that was very normal. Nothing to worry about. I go for my Post-Op appointment tomorrow, so the doctor will get to take a look and make sure everything is healing ok.

It has been a pretty rough ride for me. Day 1 and 2 were VERY bad. Day 3, 4 and half way through 5 were ok. I was getting energy back and starting to eat soups that had substance to them. Then the rest of day 5 and day 6 came along and put me back out again. The pain today was actually the same if not worse than the pain I had on day 1 and 2. It is more of a "sore" type pain, but it really hurts! Plus, I have a headache and a slight upset stomach today too.

Hoping tomorrow will be better!

Old 01-27-2005, 07:27 PM   #43
    Shrk
    (female)

Shrk HB User

Hi everyone.

I am a 32 year old and scheduled to have my tonsills and adeniods removed Feb 3. I am so scared. I've never been put to sleep and I can't stand to be sick at my stomach.

After reading these posts I'm kinda agreeing with Scooch, I don't know that I really want to do this. Have you made up your mind, Scooch?

My doctor has been telling me to get this done for 4 years. Now I actually have a little hole in my left tonsill and Doc says it may eventually trap food and cause gross "cottage cheese" things. It my doctors words, my tonsills are "rotten".

I have been a stay at home mom to two kids for 8 years. I just started back to work part time last fall at a CPA firm and I love my job. My boss is not crazy about me being out of work during tax season though. My surgery is next Thursday and "she" thinks I could be back to work by the following Thursday.

I just don't know...

Old 01-28-2005, 12:47 AM   #44
    strangecookie
    (female)

strangecookie HB User

i would say that you need more like 10 days before going back to work. i'm now at 4 weeks and feel GREAT, better than i ever did pre-surgery. but i still cannot drink carbonated drinks and am a bit swollen inside.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:53 AM   #45
    Anarchist

Anarchist HB User

Update:

I am a little over 3 weeks post op, and am completly normal. The swelling is gone, the scabs are gone, and am eating everything and anything in site. I can now be thankfull that I got this surgery!! I am so happy I had it done now and that I am healed. Would I do it again? YES!!!!! Did recovery suck? YES!! lol.

Closed Thread