It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2005, 11:25 AM   #61
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

Hmm. Seems everyone's forgotten about this board. Oh well, maybe it will pick back up. It's always been such a lively board.

Anyway, I had to cancel my surgery last year, but I have finally rescheduled and it's a good thing. Saw my ENT, yesterday, and he gave me antibiotics AGAIN.

I am scheduled for June 21. I would have it sooner but I am going through Physical Therapy for a rotator cuff injury. I want to have that finished before the surgery.

I am having to go back to the original thread and remember all the great tips from the folks like Lizzbeth and Jeffsgirl.

sydneysmommie--I don't know much about coblation but have a read a thread or two. Seems the recovery is easier that the electro thing that I'm going to have.

Last edited by dbaum; 03-04-2005 at 02:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #62
    Thanatos86
    (male)

Thanatos86 HB User

edited: wrong thread

Last edited by Thanatos86; 03-03-2005 at 04:20 PM.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:47 AM   #63
    Pink4Flower
    (female)

Pink4Flower HB User

AHH I can finally post!!! I'm SO glad I found this board! I had been looking for WEEKS for any information about adult tonsillectomy and adenoidectomies, but couldn't find much of anything reguarding recovery. By the way, my name is Cassandra, and i'm 21. I go in tommorow morning for the surgery! I'm so scared, i've never been put under before, and reading some of your stories is making me so nervous! Okay, so those of you who went though it already I have some questions!!! Also, any of your best tips would be much appreciated! So here goes the questions..
    1) How long before you could talk?
    2) How much weight did you lose? If any..
    3) Did your voice change at all after recovery? My tonsils have been huge ever since I can remember, and my adenoids too. I'm hoping this will change my voice!
    Thanks guys!!

Old 03-09-2005, 01:55 PM   #64
    katlynn
    (female)

katlynn HB User

Cassandra,

Go back and look at my old posts, because I know I published alot of advise to people who were getting this done. I think many of these things could help. I had mine out on January 3rd of this year. I am 33 years old and I was very lucky that I had a fairly easy time with it.

It was about 5 days until I could speak again. I lost very little weight, like 5 pounds, I expected and hoped for much more. And I was hoping my voice would change, that I would end up with a beautiful singing voice, no such luck, it is the same. Two months later, I am completely healed, exept my throat still makes a bizarre "croaking" noise from time to time.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #65
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Hi Pink4Flower. I wish you the best and make sure you post from time to time so we know how you are doing.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:41 PM   #66
    justava
    (female)

justava HB User
    Another Newbie - Part III

First, let me say that I am so thankful for finding this board. My name is Ava, I'm 35 years old and I had a tonsillectomy Monday, March 7th.

I was given liquid tylenol with codeine and vicodan. My first day out of the hospital, I was told by my ent to have soft pasta if possible. With the liquid tylenol, It was possible(though painful). Day two however, was much more of a challenge. The pain meds made me very nauseous and I didn't sleep well.

I'm sitting here on day three, with pain medicine coursing through my veins but able to swallow mashed potatoes and macaroni.

My uvula is HUGE. I can't believe it! My ears hurt but other than that, so far so good. I wish you all the best in your recovery!!

I was able to speak immediately.

Last edited by justava; 03-10-2005 at 12:15 PM. Reason: addition

Old 03-10-2005, 05:02 AM   #67
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Hi Justava. I hope you are feeling good today. It is good you are able to eat something. I have read that many people cannot attempt solid or semi-solid food for at least a week. In fact, my ENT said it will probably take me 10 days. So sounds like you are doing OK, despite the pain.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:48 AM   #68
    justava
    (female)

justava HB User

Hey,

Thanks so much for the response. My ENT said that the sooner you eat, the faster the recovery. I had some pretty thick garlic mashed potatoes last night and boy did that hurt.................back to the liquid tylenol.

I haven't taken any pain medicine since I decided to get up today. I had pus leaking from my throat. Are these the scabs? It didn't really hurt but it did weird me out.

~Ava

Last edited by justava; 03-10-2005 at 12:22 PM. Reason: correction

Old 03-10-2005, 02:32 PM   #69
    BevS
    (female)

BevS HB User

This is my first time to post but in doing my tonsilectomy research I even found archive postings here that helped me make my decision. I had my surgery on Tusday March 8 and so far and doing pretty well, no bleeding, a fair amount of pain swallowing, vomited once from the hydrocodone (vicodin) but the sorest thing of all is my tongue underneath, feel like everything is swollen 10 times the size in my mouth, I've decided they must have stapled my tongue to the floor to make me this sore Anyway, I have the urge to spit a lot today, I have no idea if its normal, I'm just glad I'm on the uphill side of dealing with these dreaded tonsils, I'm 46 and have needed them out since I was 6

Old 03-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #70
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Hi everyone. I'm 36 years old and I'm scheduled to get my tonsils out on the 17th. I am so scared. Some of these posts have frightened me but some have given me hope that all will be ok. I have read all the posts and it's good to know some of the issues that may come up. I have never had surgery before so I'm scared about anesthesia, and I'm also scared I will bleed to death. I'm just looking forward to a month or so from now and being glad that I no longer have to deal with them.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #71
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Hi Bev, I am 50 and have needed my tonsils out for some time. I am glad you are doing well. I won't have my surgery until June. But, in reading the old posts it seems the best thing you can do is drink, drink and drink some more. Also gum chewing will help keep the jaw from getting tight.

Keep us posted on how you are doing

Justava--I am glad you are able to eat. So many folks have trouble with that. Some folks say the Lipton noodle dishes are easy because the noodles just kind of slide down.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #72
    dbaum
    (female)

dbaum HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mom22greatkids
    I'm also scared I will bleed to death.
    Believe me, that's my biggest fear as well. My ENT keeps assuring me that the percentage of this happening is very rare.

That's all well and good, it still scares me.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:28 PM   #73
    justava
    (female)

justava HB User

Hi Bevs,

Looks like we had surgery one day apart. Congrats on taking this big step forward to a healthier you.

I had similiar experiences with needing to spit. It will pass. Have you been drinking water? That seems to be the most important thing.

So far, I have been sticking with soft pasta and cottage cheese and it seems to get easier. Keep at it girl!!

The meds are making me crazy though. I'm trying to only take them at night. My friend Bernard brought a humidifier over for me and that is keeping my throat moist.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Here's to feeling better,

Ava

Old 03-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #74
    BevS
    (female)

BevS HB User

Hi everyone, well its Friday, Day4 (surgery day being Day 1) and yesterday I called the doctor and told him my darn tongue was so swollen it was killing me, he called me in a Medrol dose pak. I had taken them before when I couldn't get rid of a sore throat, and I have to tell you I feel SO much better after only one night of the steriods. The swelling is going down, I even got up today and got dressed, went with my husband and tried a bowl of LaMadeline tomato soup which I love, well that was a bad choice I do think the tomato was too acid, but I'm so much better today. I have yet to have any bleeding at all. I was so fearful of bleeding to death too, but I did not bleed at all. I'm only taking the liquid vicodin at night cause it knocks we flat, and I got some childrens chewable tylenol and am taking that throughout the day, sucking on Jolly Ranchers to keep my mouth moist. I don't know when the scabs start coming off but really as far as the pain, besides the tongue being swollen, the actual sore throat pain hasn't been much more than when I had a bad case of tonsilitis. I'm drinking lots of water and gatorade and doing I think quite well. I'm hoping next week will be even better because I have 5-year old twins (yes, I did EVERYTHING late in life, tonsilectomy, children, etc.) who will be home on spring break and I'm hoping I feel like enjoying them. for those who haven't had it done yet, DO IT, its not that bad, I was getting sore throats every 6 weeks at least and some were so bad and felt like my throat was scalded, so if I can rough it out a week or two and know I won't have to deal with that I'll be happy. I often wondered if I was harbouring bacteria and then passing colds back and forth to my kids? Thanks to all for being there, I'm so glad I have support from these boards! Beverly

Old 03-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #75
    Pink4Flower
    (female)

Pink4Flower HB User

Hey guys! Just had my surgery yesterday, and I was scared to death. The hospital even gave me a shot in the butt to calm me down first! Anyway, i'm not feeling TOO horrible, but I did just look down my throat and it freaked me out. It looks ABSOLUTLY HORRIBLE!!! All white, and brown, and chunky! Its a bit scarey! Is that normal?? How long with this last?

Closed Thread