It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2005, 05:36 PM   #76
    BevS
    (female)

BevS HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

Pink4Flower - it does look horrible down in there, I think Day 2 was my worst, the codiene just made me sick, but I had mine TUesday and today (Fri) Im up folding clothes (should have milked this illness a little longer shouldn't I) anyway, I'm certainly not 100% but I don't regret having it done. It feels like my scabs are rough now and sometimes I gag a little, drink lots of fluids, I had no bleeding whatsoever, I did feel really rough the first few days but it does it better, I got off the codiene and that made my better too, but you will need it the first few days, and I take it at night still so I can get through the night, but like I said the pain is not much worse than some of my sore throats. Hang in there. DON'T eat tomato soup, I think that really messed me up today when I did that and now drinking Gatorade hurts a little. I tell you also, I ate some Cheese Its, you know the little square crackers, I was so nausated on Day 2 that I ate some slowly, chewed them and let them get mushy and then drank some Diet COke that I poured in a glass and let the fizz get out, and that helped my nausea and it didn't hurt going down. BevS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #77
    Pink4Flower
    (female)

Pink4Flower HB User

Yeah, i'm not regretting it still... The pain is no thing for me, I can take pain like its nothing, whats really getting me is I have this mucousy buildup down my throat that I feel like I NEED to hack up, but obviously can't. Its making it a bit hard to breath. I'm drinking TONS and taking my meds on schedule, its just this mucous thats driving me insane! And I shoudln't have looked down my throat, that really freaked me out! I'll look back cause i'm sure some of you posted, but for thoes who havent, how big were your tonsils? I had my DR. take a picture for me cause I wanted to see em, he took a picture next to a ruler.. 2 and a half inches long, 1 and a half wide. EEK!!!

Old 03-11-2005, 09:33 PM   #78
    BevS
    (female)

BevS HB User

Pink4Flower - I don't know exactly how big mine were,but I did ask to see them and the nurse went and got them, I was still coming out of anesthesia and they were quite gross floating in that perservative, but I'd say they were about the sizeof an olive with the pt still in it, he said they ere "full of junk" and I would be glad I had done it. I know about the mucos feeling, I've been spitting a lot, just feel ike I need to, and I had drainge down the back of my throat and didn't want to clear my throat for fear of jarring something loose, I haven't had anything but childrens pain relivers today and I'm doing fine, but I will take my Vicodin tonight cause when I lay down I start draining and feel like I'm drowning in salvia, I've always salivated a lot anyway according to my dentist. I have been gagging a lot today, I don't know if the scabs are starting to slough, no evidence of it, it just rough back there on my tongue, and I feel like I want to spit. SOudns crazy I know. Does anybody know how to describe what happens when the scabs come off , is it going to be raw again? BevS

To the newcomer (I don't remember you name, afraid I'll never find my place again if I try and go back) but you said you had a sore throat, pain in jaw, etc. my tonsilitis was nothing like that, you need to see and ENT soon, I did have a sore throat one time that would not go away even after a round of antibiotics and he gave me a steriod pak to take and it took away the inflammation. Chronic tonsilitis is very evident to an ENT, you will have scarring. Even the day I went in I had tonsil stones on one of them that had been there over a month, that is what prompted me to go again, he had told me 3 years ago to get them out. But I actually didn't have a sore throat right before the surgery. DO get yourself checked out, and it he says you have tonsilitis he can give you something to clear it up, but if its chornic that is when you consider surgery.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:16 AM   #79
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

BevS & Pink4Flower, it sounds like you are doing very well. Hope I will be the same. My surgery is now scheduled for the 21st instead of the 17th. What method was used to remove your tonsils? I'm not sure of the exact name of what I'm having but he said he will use cauterization. I read that that can be the most painful after and longer recovery. The mucous doesn't sound very nice. I have a lot of post nasal drip so I will probably have that too. are you able to get it up at all or is it just stuck in your throat? Bev, it sounds like you have your hands full with 5 year old twins! I have a 5 year old and an almost 3 year old. Please keep updating on how you are doing. I read this thread every day.

Old 03-12-2005, 11:55 AM   #80
    Pink4Flower
    (female)

Pink4Flower HB User

Hey guys! 2 days post-op, and i'm eating some mac n' cheese right now! Ahhh any kind of food is so good. Had some mashed potatoes last night. Having this surgery really makes you appreciate food! The pain really isn't too bad. Actually, It feels like the more I can eat, the easier swollowing feels! My only problem still is that dern mucous! I was going to ask, did any of you guys have the need to cough up mucous? Cause if I let it sit in there, I start to feel like i'm drowning, you know when you take a breath and you can feel and hear that grumble? My body has forced myself to cough a few times, but each time it scares me, I don't want to rupture anything! But so far, nothing bad has happened. I'm not sure exactly what method he used, but I know it involved "cobalation" or whatever that is. Not sure.

Is it normal for my throat to have a green color?? Thats pretty freaky.. I know, everything is freaking me out! I'm just a bit paranoid.. But I shouldn't worry too much considering i'm only 2 days post op, and not doing too bad aside from the cough. w/b and let me know where all you guys are at! Its SOO nice having this board to run to!!! Thank you all so much!

Old 03-12-2005, 02:31 PM   #81
    BevS
    (female)

BevS HB User

Pink4Flower and Mom22great kids

I'm not sure what kind of method, but it cautherized it as it cut or something, I didn't have any bleeding at all. Last night I tried eating a cheeto, bad move, this morning some of the membrane covering came off in one spot and obviously it wasn't ready, I didn't bleed and it was only a tiny amount but I can see really red flesh showing and it hurts a little more on that side, so i guess I better stick to potato soup, I'm just anxious to get on with my life! I do not regret it though cause the actual pain is no more than any sore throat. Sometimes I feel like gagging though, thus I spit a lot, I guess its just secretions etc. I actually had a bid of a cold when I had the surgery so I had drainage and would try to blow my nose, and finally just resigned myself that I was going to have snot in my head, but I guess the Amoxicillin cleared it up cause I don;t have the anymore, still taking my daily Claratin though, and sometimes I just want to clear my throat and cough and all, but I certainly don't want to break something loose and start bleeding, so I'm trying to ignore all those urges. Does anybody know in their research if this white membrane turns really dark when their ready to come off and on what day we can expect that and is it going to be super sore underneath?? My looks kinda green in there too and the right side almost black so I'm thinking its healing better and faster than the left, the left side is what is so sore. Oh yes, and I've had some of the deferred ear pain, but its just on occasion. I've found I like just luke warm water better than anything, seems like sugary stuff just makes me want to have to clear my throat. Thanks, you guys are so good to have, nobody understands this unless you have lived it.! Beverly

Old 03-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #82
    justava
    (female)

justava HB User

Hey guys,

I'm so happy to hear that you all are doing so well. I'm doing pretty good myself!

Right now, my biggest problem is going to the bathroom. I haven't in well over a week. Tonight, I'll be taking a stool softner, I hope that helps.

I haven't lost anymore scabs but I am having headaches when I don't take the vicodan. I guess I will have to ween myself off.

I tried eating jello and other sweet things but I had a really hard time so you aren't alone with that. It seemed to make the coating on my tongue twice as thick and gross. Mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese and peaches, and greens have been my lifesavers. Today my dad made chicken and dumplings and I ate it with no problem. I'm really excited.

I'm still having a hard time staying up more than two hours. The pain meds are really doing a number on me.

How did you guys get off the vicodan? I have been on them for going on four weeks!

Pink~ try sleeping sitting up. I know it sounds uncomfortable but when I elevated my head, it helped with the mucous. Let me know how that works out.

Wishing you all the best,

~Ava

Last edited by justava; 03-12-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #83
    BevS
    (female)

BevS HB User

Justava - When do the scabs start coming off, I looked in there tonite cause one side was bothering me and it look like just big chunks of yellow junk, I know its probably just the membrane, but the right side, it does not hurt at all, and its already turning black. The left side is really bothering me and that is where I have the ear pain, maybe the left side was deeper or something? I only take the vicodin at night, I just can't function on that stuff, I take tylenol or motrin during the day, and I'm still on the steriod. I don't want the scabs to come off too soon so I don't gargle or anything, when was your surgery? You said you had been on the Viocodin for 4 weeks, or did I misread that, cause I think you had your surgery shortly before mine on March 8. Are the scabs red or black when they come off and is it tender underneath the scabs? I had macaroni tonight and it went down well but my ear started hurting after I ate it and I might have to take some viocodin before bed, I'm still on the steriods too. Thanks, if you can answer some of those questions I'll appreciate it. P.S> The Vicodin will give you a headache thats why I quit taking it during the day, cause then the headache made me nauseated, just try backing down to half dose if you think you need to ween, if its been 4 weeks, by all means you need to get off, but I think I mis read that, if its only been 4 days and you still hurt I wouldn't worry about it. Bev

Old 03-12-2005, 07:49 PM   #84
    justava
    (female)

justava HB User

Hey Bevs,

Yeah, you read right, I've been on vicodan for four weeks. In August, I had a severe case of tonsillitiis with a peritonsilar abscess. Then mid February, I had severe tonsillitis again. They put me on steriods, amoxillicin and vicodan. So that's why I've been on for so long.

I had surgery the day before you and only one small bit of scab came off. It looked like pus basically. I didn't have any bleeding or anything. My ENT said that the scabs would come of between the 6th and 10th days. Nothing has turned black though.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #85
    BevS
    (female)

BevS HB User

Help - I'm feelin ROUGH today. I had a good day yesterday, then this morning (Day 6, surgery day being Day 1), I woke up about 6:30 in severe pain, I didn't want to take any Vicodin because I had to teach a make-up piano lesson this morning but I ended up taking some about 9 anyway. My throat on the left side is absoultly killing me today. I've been drinking warm water to soothe it, I haven't spit out any scabs and I looked in there and its still yucky yellowing looking stuff so I don't know if the scabs are trying to come off and the REAL pain is going to come after that or what but now I'm very upset and anxious about the next week or so, how bad this is going to get!!! I ate macaroni last night and it sort of hurt a little after that, could I be pushing solids too quick? The weather is sunny and warm here in Texas and I had planned to spend a fun day with my kids, now I feel like crap cause I took the viocodin, I think I'll go cry

justava - I can't beleive you have had to be on the Vicodin so long, poor you, that stuff is awful, sounds like you had some REALLY bad stuff going on before you got to have ths surgery, you must be worn out! I have a cold mist humidifier, do you think maybe that would help me at night, maybe I'm drying out or something. Sorry, I'm whining this morning but I feel horrible. I just want to be normal again. What is that yellow stuff, just dead skin I wonder? Lets just all hang in there together, surely we can get through this. Beverly

Old 03-13-2005, 11:01 AM   #86
    Pink4Flower
    (female)

Pink4Flower HB User

UUUHHH!!!! today is day 3 after the surgery, and DEAR GOODNESS IT HURTS!!! Time is going so darn slowly too... I ate some mac n' cheese yesterday, and some mashed potatoes, and I started to eat some artichoke but it started to hurt too bad. Now i'm thinking I shouldn't have eaten any of that stuff yet. I know I won't be today! My whole neck is sore, my tounge is sore....And i've had to cough a few times, pretty bad coughs which REALLY REALLY hurt, but I had no choice. My throat looks horrible. I'm worried that my recovery is going to take a lot longer since my tonsils were absolutely huge.. Ooooooh this sucks

Old 03-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #87
    MominPain
    (female)

MominPain HB User

Hi everyone,

I'm now 6 days post op and I am still shocked as to how painful this has been. I am 30 years old and I would take the recovery of a C-section or my two chest tubes for a collapsed lung any day over going through this pain again. This is the firt day that I don't feel absolutely awful. I've lost 12lbs in a week, mostly water I'm sure because after the first day I found it extremely difficult to even get water down. The ENT sent me home with liquid codeine but it was doing absolutley nothing so I went to a local clinic and the Doc there upped the meds to Oxycodone(morphine type) and all it was doing was knocking me out right away!
    Question for everyone out there....is anyone else experinecing a massive amount of phlem build-up? I have to keep a cup by my bed and constantly spit it out! I know, gross! But I don't know why it's happening. Have only tried whipped potatoes so far for real food, even that still hurts, so it's mostly pudding and apple sauce. Found soy milk goes down pretty good and it has all that extra protein. Good luck to everyone else out there!

Old 03-13-2005, 03:57 PM   #88
    justava
    (female)

justava HB User

This just must have been our day.

I work up in excruciating pain this morning as well! When I looked in my mouth, some of the scabs had come off. I have been in the bed all day!

Until around 530pm, I didn't eat a thing. We just have too stay positive.

This just has to be over soon.

Your sister in recovery,

Ava

btw~ the humidifier helped me tremendously. In the mornings, my throat would be exceedingly dry and painful. For me keeping the throat moist eases the pain.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:00 PM   #89
    Pink4Flower
    (female)

Pink4Flower HB User

Mominpain!!!! I feel you on EVERYTHING you are saying! I've never been in such pain...I am constantly feeling like i'm drowning in my own mucous, and that damn liquid codene does nothing for the pain, just makes me tired. I've barely been off the couch for the past 3 days, nothing more than to go pee, or to get on here. I've broken down in tears so many times already, and everytime it just makes it so much worse. I'm glad that I didn't expect this kind of pain, I mean I read what other people had posted but always thought I was so tough when it came to pain, and thought i'd be able to handle it fine. Boy was I wrong. I have no idea how much weight i've lost, if any. I've been constantly drinking water, constantly have my humidifier on, and look forward to 10 o clock, 2 oclock, and 6 oclock, as that is when I get to take my meds. My throat looks like a corpses throat, slowly rotting. Its hard to look at...I brush my teeth constantly because my mouth tastes and feels so rotten, but it doesn't help much. I can't chew gum like alot of people suggest, because my tounge is very swollen, and when I chew I can feel my tounge rubbing against all the scabs and built up mucous. So in a nutshell, im absolutly miserable. When I do try to talk, it sounds like I have gobs and gobs of cotton in my throat too... But, like everyone keeps reminding me, once this is over, we'll never have to worry about it again! Stay stong! I'm trying to! <3

Old 03-13-2005, 09:45 PM   #90
    BevS
    (female)

BevS HB User

Ladies, this just must NOT have been our day, we have all had a miserable day. Mominpain - know what you mean, haven't had a chest tube but did have a c section for my twins after 3 weeks of hospital bedrest for pre term labor - heck, labor ain't SQUAT compared to this!!!!! I hope ya'll are smiling a little bid, I was miserable pretty much all day and we had some friends from Lubbock come into town and I went to dinner, had bisque, while everybody else had steak and shrimp - but I did get it down, it was kinda salty and burned a little. The lady of the couple we met is a nurse practitioner and had her tonsils at when she was 25 - she said "you are more woman than me" to be up and about, etc. She has had 6 knee surgeries and swears nothing has hurt like the tonsils, so I guess on the bright side, its okay if we complain cause by golly it DOES hurt. She did caution about those scabs coming off too soon and not eating too rough of stuff, hers came off too quickly on one side and she had to go to the ER they said they would "have to go back in there" she told them NO WAY so they packed her neck in ice - so lets all slow down a little and just eat our soup okay! I think a few scabs came off today. Mominpain I think you asked about the mucos, somebody did, I've been spitting like I'm dipping snuff!!!! Its gross but I just feel like I have to spit, so I do. Keep a little cup by my bed cause sometimes I wake up in the night and just need to spit. Gosh, is this just GROSS or what!!!! I did look down in there today, still looks like cottage cheese, with an extra glop of something on top, I see some little red streaks so I'm hoping that is NOT a bad sign, I've still not spit any blood. As far as the codiene I've been taking it at night only, except today, I had to take some during the day, but to be honest, I took 4 ibuprofen, cut them in half and swallowed them one piece at a time and I swear they did me more good than anything, although I think my post op instructions were not to take them, but just tylenol has never helped me even for a headache, the Vicodin is Tylenol with codeine in it. I am not advising anybody to do this though, cause if it thins the blood that would not be good if bleeding started. As far as the tongue swelling, on Day 3 I called and told the nurse I felt like they had stapled my tongue to the floor that it was so swollen I couldn't swallow and he called me in the steriod pak, I KNOW it helped a lot. Well, its late, I hope we all get some rest tonight, I'm gonna say a little prayer for all of us. I just said a little prayer for all of you, we all have families and committments and need a speedy recover. Sweet Vicodin Dreams.... Beverly

Closed Thread