It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2005, 01:24 AM   #91
    ZID
    (male)

ZID HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy Surgery - Part III

I'm really glad that I found this message board. It's been very helpful reading about everyone's recovery at different stages, mainly just so that I can reassure myself that I'm not experiencing something abnormal and that I'm okay.

That being the case, I'll post my info for others.

I'm 36 and had a tonsillectomy fourteeen days ago. I've been off the Hydrocodone for about four days now, but have been alternating taking Tylenol and Motrin every four hours for the pain, as I am still experiencing mild swallowing pain and moderate ear pain - the ear pain being especially bad if I try to lay down. Foods still taste weird to me and it's difficult swallowing semi-hard foods (a sandwich, meatloaf, etc...). It's not difficult to swallow because of the pain so much as just because my swallowing reflex isn't quite back to normal, and things sometimes get stuck half way down. My voice still sounds very weird to me and to others.

The only two things that I think I would change about my experience are that I:

A) Would have drank more water. I thought I was drinking quite a bit, but now realize that I could have ignored the pain a little better and drank a little more. And according to my doctor that would have helped in my recovery. I've now been prescribed an antifungal mouth wash that I might have avoided if I would have drank more water more continuously.

B) Would have gotten off the Hydrocodone a little earlier. I probably could have dealt with the pain a couple of days earlier with just Tylenol and Motrin. As it was, I was on the Hydrocodone for nearly eleven days and when I went off it I spent a couple of days really being out of whack. I had a general blucky feel and an overall malaise that I just couldn't shake as my body dealt with not being on the "good stuff" anymore.

Good luck to everyone and hang in there.

Last edited by ZID; 03-14-2005 at 01:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 01:38 AM   #92
    ZID
    (male)

ZID HB User

Reading the post prior to mine reminded me of something. The doctor told me that my uvula would swell and, because of the instrument they use to hold down the tongue during surgery, that my tongue would also swell and be sore. However, by late on day two my tongue and uvula had become enormous, to the point that I couldn't swallow. My tongue was pushing against the roof of my mouth and when I could use a tongue supressor to push down my tongue I noticed that my uvula was nearly blocking off my entire airway. All I could do was let the medicine or water just slide down the back of my throat as I tried - usually in vain - to go through the swallowing motions. So on day three, my wife called the doctor and they prescribed a steroid. It took a day or two for the steroid to really take effect but it did wonders.

Old 03-14-2005, 05:56 AM   #93
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Oh my goodness. This is sounding awful now. I am starting to think that maybe I should just deal with my tonsil problems . Hope you all are feeling better soon.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:42 AM   #94
    MominPain
    (female)

MominPain HB User

BevS and Pink4Flower, thank you for you understanding words and advice! It is nice to know that EVERYONE here knows what we are all going through. My husband is trying to be sympathetic but he never gets sick so I know he really doesn't understand what I am going through right now. I've got to start forcing more water down though and everyone else too! I went to put some makeup on for the first time in a week yesterday to go out for a walk thinking fresh air would do me good and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my eyes until I really looked and realized they were sunken in! I asked my mother about it, she is an R.N and she said that is a sign of de-hydration. Yikes! I was going to attempt going into work today and of course when one thing goes wrong, everything does right? My youngest who's not quite 2 was vomitng ever since Sat. night and I took one look at her this morning and with a fever I knew I couldn't bring her to daycare, she needs Mommy's snuggles so I was barely able to get out on voicemail to my colleagues that I couldn't make it in again. Oh well, what can you do, health and your family need to come first right? Hope everyone else is slowly starting to feel better, I am bit by bit, still sticking to pudding, yogurt and applesauce to be on the safe side!

Old 03-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #95
    BevS
    (female)

BevS HB User

I think the steriods made a huge difference in my swelling, I don't know why they don't give them without question. I took my Vicodin las night and again woke this morning in terrible pain, I think I'm just drying out in the night so I'm going to try a humidifer tonite. Instead of the Vicodin I've continued to take the motrin and I swear it does much better for me, and I sip on warm water not cold all the time, it soothes me more. Zid you posted on day 14 , have the scabs come off completely? I still haven't lost many (day 6) and my mouth tastes so horrible - I look forward to getting to gargle with listerine. I've heard of people getting thrush with this, will the water help with that? Once I get up I do pretty good as long as I sip warm water all day, my right side does not hurt at all,only my left. I hope we all have a better day, I'll jump back on here tonight and see how everybody did.

Mominpain - try your best not to get your child's virus, that would just be the worst, just keep washing your hands all the time, you certainly don't need that set back. Beverly

Old 03-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #96
    Pink4Flower
    (female)

Pink4Flower HB User

So today is 4 days post-op, and the pain was getting worse, since the scabs were starting to harden, so I have started to take a little more lortab. The ENT told me that if the pain got worse or the medicine wasn't working enough, I could start taking an extra teaspoon, which has helped. I've been making sure to keep my humidifier full, and drink water constantly. Its strange, I can swollow water and everything okay, but I have a hard time swollowing my own spit, it just sort of sticks to the back of my tounge and doesn't want to make it down all the way. And then when I go to spit it out in my little cup, its painful and difficult. I can talk a little bit, but I still sound like I have gobs and gobs of cotton balls or something stuck in my throat. I keep looking in the back of my throat to make sure there is no bleeding, do you all have scabs through the middle of your throat? Like, not just on the back, but seeming to come from the top where the uvula is, and coming down almost like a scabbish netting (if that makes any sense?) I'm sure its normal, because my tonsils were covering the entire back of my mouth to the point where if I would say "AHH" they would touch, I think i'm just being paranoid because I haven't seen anyone elses throat! I can tell i'm going to have to re-learn how to swollow once the swelling goes down, I haven't been able to swollow properly in years. I can also tell my gag reflex has gone down, I used to gag when trying to brush the back of my tounge but now I can do that okay. Also, anyone else having trouble sleeping through the night? I wake up every few hours.. But I also take short naps throughout the day. Well, off to shower! I'll be checking up on you all later tonight!

Old 03-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #97
    cutsygirl79

cutsygirl79 HB User

Hi,

I'm scheduled for surgery on the 21st of this month (one week away, yikes!) I was wondering if you need to have someone at home with you during recovery...Are you bed bound for 2 weeks? Or are you able to move around...

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2005, 04:27 PM   #98
    BevS
    (female)

BevS HB User

cutsygirl79 - You need somebody with you at lesat the first 4-5 days, I would think. Its not that you are so overwrought with pain that you can't get up, but the pain meds make you goofy and you are in pain, I'm almost a week (tomorrow) and I still have pain but I'm not dysfuntional, but the first few days, yes have somebody with you. Good luck with your surgery, its not fun but it will be worth it in the end.

I'm still making okay today, believe it or not I went with my husband and ate chinese food, I ate an eggroll, very slowly, well chewed, and about 3 small pieces of orange chicken and a spoon full of rice. I hurt afterwards, but even when I eat soup I hurt afterwards, I'm taking it easy tonite with soft pasta, but it was sure nice to eat some real food. A word of caution, the tomato soup is still very acidy so stay away from it. My raw spot seems to be the outer edge of the palate, like where the uvala meets it and i don't remember if it had the membrane stuff on it or not, but I'm thinking when the scabs/white/yellow cottage cheese looking membrane stuff does come off that its going to be raw, mabe Zid could help with that since he is 14 days post op..... thanks for the input everybody, we can get through this. Oh and by the way, I would like to have some of your emails to follow up throughout the year once we get well... I would be very interested to see how many colds and sore thorats we all get... I'm certainly hoping not as many, I was getting them every 6-8 weeks without fail, so here is my email address if any of you want to email, but lets keep posting too cause I feel like if it had not been for this board I would not have had the courage to get it done... my email is [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

I'll check in on you guys later, gotta go teach a piano lesson. Bev

Last edited by moderator2; 03-15-2005 at 06:48 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules -

Old 03-14-2005, 05:24 PM   #99
    ZID
    (male)

ZID HB User

Bev,

Yes I still have one of those nice little white scabs back there.

Pink4Flower,

Yes, I also had a scab that went from my uvula like a net over to the side. It was only on my right side. My left side was just on the sides and towards the back. Of course, my right side was the one that has given me the most pain and it's the last scab that I have left, although now the "net" has gone away and it has receded to just being on the top and side of my throat. I've also noticed my previously very strong gag reflex being less than it used to be while brushing, I wonder if that will last? And the inability to get a full night's sleep also appears to be a common problem.

Isn't this a wonderful message board? If for no other reason than just to be able to see that everything we're going through is normal and we're going to be okay.

By the way, I'm feeling better from just last night when I first posted. After the first week, every day you can feel a little improvement.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:16 PM   #100
    BevS
    (female)

BevS HB User

Zid - where I seem to be hurting the most, I can raise my tongue and feel , its like at the top of the palate, it looks raw, could it be I lost the scab too soon. As the scabs come off is it like raw meat underneath, and thus intense pain with eating, or is it healed underneath? I ate pasta tonight and it just hurts to swallow but I think I do just as good on the Motrin than the vicodine. Do the scabs come off in hunks or just mucous? I seem to spit lots of mucuos, but not real hunks of stuff like a real scab coming off, maybe its just too soon? Thanks everybody. Beverly

Old 03-14-2005, 06:32 PM   #101
    ZID
    (male)

ZID HB User

Bev,

I cannot attest to your palate pain, but it seems to be a scab that came off. When they come off, the skin is blood red and ultra raw and sensitive.

As for feeling or seeing the scabs come off. Except for a couple of times while spitting out my anti-fungal mouthrinse, I don't recall ever seeing the scabs. I guess they just came off and went down with the food and water. I did feel a couple of them as they came loose however. I would get a tickle in my throat that I would have to cough to get rid of and, although I never looked at it in a mirror at the time, I just assumed it was a scab coming loose. There were a couple that were real pains in the rear, as I had to cough several times to get rid of that tickle, and you know how much fun it is to cough in this condition.

Last edited by ZID; 03-14-2005 at 06:33 PM.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:13 PM   #102
    BevS
    (female)

BevS HB User

Thanks Zid, seems like I still have some pain to endure, if its blood red and raw than of course its going to be sensitive, that is how the palate by the uvala feels, I'm a little worried about taking Motrin becuase of the bleeding late in post op but man it sure seems to help, its just that Tylenol has never helped much with even my headahces, but I think I'll try just taking Tylenol, and not the Motrin, I'm also going to try a humidifier tonite, so I want be so sore in the morning, have you had any bleeding? Do you still have some white stuff back there?

Hope everybody had a decent day, all in all I have to say it was fair, I survived and every day we survive is another step closer to freedom from pain! My right side has not hurt one bit only my left, including my left ear, the mornings are what are so horrible, ear pain severe, dry sore throat, I took the kids to school this morning and came back and slept for 3 hours, but it was solid sleep so thats okay, this house work will all still be here next month, right? You guys have been great to listen to me complain, I'm wishing us all a speedy recovery!!! Lets look forward to Easter dinner, right?!! Bev

Old 03-14-2005, 09:46 PM   #103
    Pink4Flower
    (female)

Pink4Flower HB User

Hey guys! Today has been pretty miserable for me. I cant stop spitting, and usually find very small white chunks in my spit. I've had a low fever off and on, so i've been trying to drink more water but it is pretty difficult. I keep having to cough little bits at a time because the mucous/scabbing clogs up my airway, and usually when I do it knocks it loose and causes it to partially dangle down my throat which is driving me INSANE!! So far I haven't had any pain in my ears, but my neck has been really sore. I told my mom that during one of my naps I dreamt that I got an extra value meal from mcdonalds, as i've been craving real food, so she went and bought me a cheeseburger I've figured that I can eat almost anything, as long as I chew ALOT and take alot of time. I had a couple thin mint girl scout cookies last night. Well, can't wait for this horrid process is all over and done with! Have a good night everyone! Sleep as well as you can!

Old 03-15-2005, 02:13 AM   #104
    amtray
    (female)

amtray HB User

This is my first time posting, so i'm not really sure what to say. i found this site while i was searching the web to see if the look of the throat is okay. it was helpful to read about others feeling the same kind of pain.
    this is day five after the tonsillectomy and i'm still not up for doing much. i'm starting to wonder if i can get all my spring break homework done on these drugs. but, from what i've read i don't think i want to try anything off the drugs just yet.
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THEIR THROAT LOOKED LIKE ON DAY 5 OR 6?
    MINE IS COVERED IN WHITE AND BLACK AND IT SEEMS HARDER TO DRINK TODAY.
    AND NOT ONLY THE PAIN BUT THINKING ABOUT IT IS KEEPING ME AWAKE.

Last edited by amtray; 03-15-2005 at 02:16 AM. Reason: SPELL

Old 03-15-2005, 09:58 AM   #105
    Pink4Flower
    (female)

Pink4Flower HB User

Amtray, today is also day 5 post op for me, and my throat looks ABSOLUTLY HORRIBLE! I'm having the exact same problem!! I've been super worried that my throat looks worse than it should, and even asked my mom a couple times to take me to the dr. because I was so worried. But after reading posts from people on here, and after she reassured me, I guess its normal for our throats to be looking this horrible right now. The best way to describe my throat would be that it looks like a corpses throat rotting away. I woke up this morning in the worst pain i've had yet, and took a bit more than my regular dosage of the pain meds. I can't sleep for more than a few hours at a time because of the pain, and worry. Its actually a little helpful reading your post because I woke up so miserable, and thought for sure that this would be slowly getting better by now, but it seems the opposite. And going over alot of the old posts, it seems very normal for it to be getting worse before it gets any better. I know its alot easier to say than do, but try not to worry TOO much...try to keep your mind occupied...and if the pain is really really severe, go ahead and take just a little more of the pain medication. My dr. told me to do that if the pain got worse..so it can't be bad. And remember, once this is all over, its over for good and we'll never have to worry about it again!! Keep us posted!!

Closed Thread