It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy at 45!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User
    Adult Tonsillectomy at 45!!!

I am having tonsillectomy in 10 days (2/10/06)!! I was told that I have to re-learn to swallow because food can go up your sinuses. You know, you can get one end of a piece of spagetti through you nose and the other end out you mouth. Is it true? I'm not a fan of pain and I have read some of the post about post op pain. My ENT gave me my post-op pain script, Lortabs, and I have been getting the refills so I have them here waiting for me. I have had chronic tailbone pain for 9 years now and this will be my 12th surgery. I know that the surgery will be good for me in the long run. I always feel run down because my immune system is constantly fighting infection from the food (stones) pieces that get stuck in the "holes" in my tonsils. I just wish this was already over!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy at 45!!!

Hi. I had mine removed at 36 years old. I had a great recovery. I was up and feeling much better by day 5. The pain med made me very sick and I switched to extra strength Tylenol liquid. You may want to pick some up just in case. My best advice to you is to drink water, as much as you possibly can. I drank very cold ice water constantly and basically numbed my throat through the recovery. The more you swallow, the less it hurts. I'm not sure about learning to swallow again. I didn't have that problem. You will do fine, and you will be so much happier after you recover! Good luck, and post back on how you are doing if you can.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have no idea where anyone got suc an idea about food getting in your sinuses. I had mine out at 27 and i"m now 60. Never had this issue. You'll be SO glad you had them out. But let me warn you, you will feel like you were run over by a steamroller. I didn't have that much pain swallowing but just couldn't lift my head fromthe pillow.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User

Thanks for all the experiences! I've read as much as I can on both of the surgeries (I'm also having my septum repaired) and I beleive that after the first week, I'll be just fine. I'll post after the surgery and let you know how I am.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:23 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

OOh! Both at the same time??? Yikes! I had them done separately...don't think I would have liked both at once. But they do the septum differently now so maybe it would be OK....let us know!

Old 02-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User

The doc told me he will fix my deviated septum, reduce the "fleshy things" (Turbs) and take out my tonsils. So magine my surprise when I went for pre-op testing and read "and Adenoidectomy." I now understand that they take the adenoids whenever they do tonsils, kind of like when they do a hysterectomy they take your appendex! Oh well. I would rather the doctor do everything he can at the same time. This will be my 12th surgery and I REALLY don't want another one. Well, my last surgery was open shoulder surgery. Extremely painful because they shaved on my bones twice. Is it worse than that? I really appreciate all the advice and you can be sure I'll try what worked for you. Hopefully, some of it will work for me. At least I have lots of people praying for me and I know that the Lord will help the doctor and me.

Last edited by 2catfans; 02-03-2006 at 08:44 PM.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #7
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User
    Smile Re: Adult Tonsillectomy at 45!!!

Doc said everything went great. He found a bone spur while fixing my deveated septum and said my right tonsil was very difficult to remove. So most of my throat pain is on the right side. Well last night was not too bad, up every 4 or 5 hours for pain meds and to change the sinus "mustashe bandage". Today, however, just a little worse than last night. I had to call doc for liquid pain med as swallowing the pain pill was a choking adventure not to mention that swallowing anything liquid is a choking adventure. Popsycles, on the other hand, are great!! Nose and neck are swollen. I expect that tomorrow will be the same as today or a little worse. On the up side, I don't feel like I have for the last 6-8 months! Just let me know if you want me to update on my progress.

Last edited by 2catfans; 02-11-2006 at 06:22 PM.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #8
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

I was told by an ER doctor, my tonsil had removed. But I never had any throat surgery!?!?!?!? Not even when I was a baby! I was very upset at that time because they took away something on my body without my consent?

I put my post on one of the forum and said that, "now I need to go and find my tonsil!" A lady told me, tonsil will strink (disappear) by itself when you get old. If she knew by early, she wouldn't go for tonsillectomy and pay the big buck and suffer the big pain. My GP told me it is true, some tonsil will strink by itself. I'm 47 yrs old and my tonsil leave me for no reason.

Pika.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pika
    I was told by an ER doctor, my tonsil had removed. But I never had any throat surgery!?!?!?!? Not even when I was a baby! I was very upset at that time because they took away something on my body without my consent?

I put my post on one of the forum and said that, "now I need to go and find my tonsil!" A lady told me, tonsil will strink (disappear) by itself when you get old. If she knew by early, she wouldn't go for tonsillectomy and pay the big buck and suffer the big pain. My GP told me it is true, some tonsil will strink by itself. I'm 47 yrs old and my tonsil leave me for no reason.

Pika.
    I wish!! Mine were extremely large for as long as I can remember. I only had a hole the size of a dime to swallow through.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Adult Tonsillectomy at 45!!!

Day 2
    Hi everyone,

I just finished eating some Cream of Chicken soup and choco pudding mousse. So I thought I would send you an update while I'w up. Worst sore throat ever imaginable!! Hubby will be happy today because I can hardly talk!! Apple juice is much easier to swallow than water today. I have been told that day 3 is the worst however I canít imagine a sore throat worst than this. God bless the inventor of Popsicles!!! Well, back to ice packs and bed.
    I'll talk to you later.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
    Grunt117
    (male)

Grunt117 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2catfans
    Day 2
    Hi everyone,

I just finished eating some Cream of Chicken soup and choco pudding mousse. So I thought I would send you an update while I'w up. Worst sore throat ever imaginable!! Hubby will be happy today because I can hardly talk!! Apple juice is much easier to swallow than water today. I have been told that day 3 is the worst however I canít imagine a sore throat worst than this. God bless the inventor of Popsicles!!! Well, back to ice packs and bed.
    I'll talk to you later.

Hang in there!

I just squeezed tonsil stones out of my wretched tonsils! I'm also sick, now. I'm 23 and I'm still not brave enough to take the necessary step that you've already taken. Just think, soon you'll be fully healed and rid of your troublesome tonsils.

Hope you have a swift recovery!

Old 02-15-2006, 06:34 AM   #12
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grunt117
    Hang in there!

I just squeezed tonsil stones out of my wretched tonsils! I'm also sick, now. I'm 23 and I'm still not brave enough to take the necessary step that you've already taken. Just think, soon you'll be fully healed and rid of your troublesome tonsils.

Hope you have a swift recovery!
    Day 3
    Emergency surgery on Monday night late for bleeding 2nd time. Went to ER at 7PM because bleeding. Sent me home after hour of no bleeding. Got home, sat down, bleeding started again. So on to large hospital. Lost a lot of blood before surgery, about 1.12 pints. Doc found 2 veins seeping and cleaned up scar bed and pumped 200 ml (.422 pint) of blood from my stomach. I really thought I was going to die!! Clots blocking air way. Felt like I was drowning! Scared dear hubby and mom! Stayed overnight, discharged Tuesday about 10am. Doc said that quite common to have bleeding problem on day 3 after original surgery in adult tonsilectomy. Not trying to scare anyone, if you need it done then do it and be done. Starving!! Ate cream of chicky soup, choco pudding, and 12 oz. milk at 4:30am. Lost 6-7 lbs. Pills put fear in pit of stomach. Choking hazzard!! Swallowing kind of easier, low grade fever 99 to 100. Staying in bed again today as still very weak and pale and reall sleepy. Update later.

Last edited by 2catfans; 02-23-2006 at 05:31 PM.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:07 PM   #13
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User
    Exclamation Re: Adult Tonsillectomy at 45!!!

Day 3 again!!!
    Here's an update! Hubby says I have more color back in my face today. I still think I look real pale. Hubby took me to doc appt. this morning. Doc said that bleeding like mine falls in 1%!! We are now at day 3 again!! (Because of emergency surgery) My hemoglobin count was 11, the lowest "normal" level before they have to do a blood transfusion. I have to take an iron supplement for a month or so. I still have a stint in my nose and I still have to sleep in an almost upright position!! The pathology report said that I had "chronic tonsillitis with benign lymphoid hyperplasia." The largest tonsil measured 3.5 cm in diameter!! Hubby stayed home today with me and will tomorrow just in case the bleeding starts again. We still have to get past day 6-8 before bleeding risk is mostly gone. Next check up is in 2 weeks. Please pray that I have no more problems and a speedy recovery.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:01 AM   #14
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

How many tonsil do we have? I thought is only one. Mine one had left me so I wouldn't get sore throat anymore, right? Thanks god.

I'm wipping my sweat after seeing your day 1, 2, 5 and 3. If I were you, I think the whole hospital will let me turn upside down. I probably will asking I want to sleep. I don't want to be awake and feeling that pain.......

You take care and keep us posting.

Pika.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:15 PM   #15
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pika
    How many tonsil do we have? I thought is only one. Mine one had left me so I wouldn't get sore throat anymore, right? Thanks god.

I'm wipping my sweat after seeing your day 1, 2, 5 and 3. If I were you, I think the whole hospital will let me turn upside down. I probably will asking I want to sleep. I don't want to be awake and feeling that pain.......

You take care and keep us posting.

Pika.
    2 tonsils and adnoids, so at least 2 adnoids

Closed Thread