It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy Post Op Bleeding

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
    psyn
    (male)

psyn HB User
    Adult Tonsillectomy Post Op Bleeding

I had my tonsils taken out on monday (27 feb) and today its my 6th day into post op recovery.

During day 1-4 of my post op recovery, i noticed the pain was getting more and more manageable and was laying off the panadeine that was prescribed to me for pain management. However, on day 5 after a meal, i noticed a sharp pain and blood in my phlegm.

Is this due to the scab falling off after my meal?

Since day 5 till today, i've been having blood in my phlegm and increased pain whenever i have a meal. I'm really worried as i was told that "blood streaks" are ok but i'm actually having clots of blood in my phlegm. The bleeding stops for a while only to reoccur when i have my next meal which is usually porridge with a little minced pork. My post op reivew is coming on tuesday and i'm worried as to whether i need to request for an earlier review with regards to the bleeding. Is this kind of bleeding normal and should i just let it be as part of the healing process? I came across some sites that say after the scab falls off and the bleeding start, it can only get better from here onwards. Is there any truth in this?

Really hope to hear some advice from ya all out there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2006, 03:07 AM   #2
    (female)

29k HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy Post Op Bleeding

Quote:
    Originally Posted by psyn
    I had my tonsils taken out on monday (27 feb) and today its my 6th day into post op recovery.

During day 1-4 of my post op recovery, i noticed the pain was getting more and more manageable and was laying off the panadeine that was prescribed to me for pain management. However, on day 5 after a meal, i noticed a sharp pain and blood in my phlegm.

Is this due to the scab falling off after my meal?

Since day 5 till today, i've been having blood in my phlegm and increased pain whenever i have a meal. I'm really worried as i was told that "blood streaks" are ok but i'm actually having clots of blood in my phlegm. The bleeding stops for a while only to reoccur when i have my next meal which is usually porridge with a little minced pork. My post op reivew is coming on tuesday and i'm worried as to whether i need to request for an earlier review with regards to the bleeding. Is this kind of bleeding normal and should i just let it be as part of the healing process? I came across some sites that say after the scab falls off and the bleeding start, it can only get better from here onwards. Is there any truth in this?

Really hope to hear some advice from ya all out there.

I found sucking on ice cubes/ice blocks helped stopped minor bleeding such as that. But if that doesn't help, I was told to go to the nearest ER. Clots of blood aren't good...I'd say go hospital...or atleast contact your doc to ask them.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:15 AM   #3
    psyn
    (male)

psyn HB User

yeah the ice slosh works. but is this supposed to happen? i thought the wound was healing so i went from pure liquid intake to porridge. now with the bleeding i'm heading back to milk and soy milk.

any advice on how long this will last?

Old 05-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
    sierra88
    (male)

sierra88 HB User

just got back from emergency room and subsequently the ENT doctor that did my tonsillectomy. i have have consistent bleeding (small amounts) since my surgery last wednesday (6 days ago). however today had severe bleeding and rushed to the ER which took 45 mins to get to. by that time the bleeding had stopped. i was referred to my ENT dr. and met with him a couple hours later where he removed a blod clot and cauterized the area. i hope the bleeding is done but am really scared to swallow right now as it may begin again. i need water, my lips are soooo dry and im starving but i do not want bleeding, what should i do?

Old 05-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
    gergurk
    (female)

gergurk HB User

Hi sierra88

I haven't had to go to hospital (yet!) to be recauterized, however, i am in the midst of dealing with post-op bleeding...have had 2 small bleeds with the last one resulting in a big ugly clot forming in my right tonsil bed. Like you, I've been really scared to eat and drink as I'm sure that once the clot breaks off, I'll start bleeding again. My ENT told me to keep eating and drinking, but only cold things. Anything hot/warm may encourage bleeding to occur.

I know it's scary, but just remember how the doctors and nurses made you drink straight after the original tonsillectomy...the theory is the same after your second trip to hospital...if it's been re-cauterized, it shouldn't bleed (well, atleast not straight away!). But yeah, stick to iced water i reckon. I know it is awful to swallow at this point, but dehydration will only lead to more problems and more bleeding. Haha, I really should read my own advice...I'm having trouble drinking enough at the moment aswell!

I'll have my fingers crossed for you!

Sarah.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User

Hi All,
    As one who survived the gripping fear of post op bleeding not once but twice, my best advice for you is don't be afraid to eat or drink. If you get dehydrated, which happened to me because of unknown slow bleeding for 2 1/2 days, it only makes it harder for the docs if you have to go to the hospital. It was very hard and painful for the nurse to start the IV before the emergency surgery. Try melting crushed ice or ice chips in your mouth. Make sure you eat some thing. Your body needs some nutrition to use to heal your mouth. Just make sure what ever you eat is mashed and bland. My hubby even put mac and cheese in the blender! Please keep us posted on your progress. Prayers for all.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:59 AM   #7
    Backpacker80
    (male)

Backpacker80 HB User

Hey gergurk-

I was just wondering how the ugly clot turned out. I am on day 6 after surgery and have suffered several small bleeds today. I called the doc and was told as long as I got them stopped (using ice water), it was no big deal. But I too am noticing an ugly clot forming and it is making me quite nervous. It only seems inevitable that the clot will break off and continue bleeding. I also fear that I will start bleeding again and not realize it. The whole fear of bleeding substantially outweighs the pain/discomfort from the surgery.

Any additional thoughts on this (from anyone) would be appreciated.

Closed Thread