It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Loss of Taste After Tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #16
    me_
    (female)

me_ HB User
    Re: Loss of Taste After Tonsillectomy

wow, was I happy to find this board and some hope. I had my surgery July 2005, tonsils, adenoids and uvula removed. I had severe sleep apnia and knew that there was only a 10% chance that there would be any improvement at all, I was extremely lucky that after being re-examined for the sleep disorder that I am almost 100%. No more snoring, but, unfortunately, no more tasting sweets in their truer fashion. I first noticed it with Soda, then fruit juices. I almost lost it when I tried to have a vodka tonic and the tonic tasted so bad that I couldn't drink it. A sad day indeed. to see that so many have the same problem when my doctor claimed just a week ago to not have ever even heard of this...well, makes me question him on a million levels. I'm hopeful with my year anniversary upcoming that things get a little better. I don't have the metallic taste, but more of a sour buttery taste after eating or drinking sweet things. Thank god my favorite unsweetened iced tea is still ok, or pretty much water would be my only non alcoholic beverage choice! White wines are really bad now too..I miss enjoying a glass of wine...or champagne for that matter. Part of helping me breathe easier was to involve having my deviated septum repaired...when I heard that a very rare side effect was total lost of smell, and with it taste, I said forget it. I have this problem, which the doctor claims to be clueless about, for certain I'll end up as the one in 1000 people who loses their sense of smell. And, I mean, 1 in 1000? that's actually a pretty high number, not really that rare. Nah, I'm going to stick with my crooked septum, thanks anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2006, 06:55 AM   #17
    jenhberry
    (female)

jenhberry HB User
    Talking Re: Loss of Taste After Tonsillectomy

I too now have the buttery taste at the back of my mouth, . I am starting to taste a little but nothing to get excited about. Sweet is still gone and orange juice tastes bad. Sodas are still carbonated water. But I think I am slowly getting to taste a little more. I tasted the root beer flavor in my daughters soda yesterday. And that brought me hope..

Old 04-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #18
    richn33
    (male)

richn33 HB User

I am two weeks post op so I am able to eat. Had a burger yesterday and it tasted like dirt (like aot of things lately) I just spoke to my doctor who informed me that this happens to about 1/3 of patients following a tonsillectomy and especially those who have septoplsty done as well( that's me). He mentioned that it can sometimes take up to 9 weeks for your taste buds to be back to normal but he has never heard of anyone not getting their tsat buds back. I guess the anitbiotics really do a num,ber on the taste buds. Hope this helps
    Rich

Old 04-28-2006, 02:00 PM   #19
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by richn33
    I am two weeks post op so I am able to eat. Had a burger yesterday and it tasted like dirt (like aot of things lately) I just spoke to my doctor who informed me that this happens to about 1/3 of patients following a tonsillectomy and especially those who have septoplsty done as well( that's me). He mentioned that it can sometimes take up to 9 weeks for your taste buds to be back to normal but he has never heard of anyone not getting their tsat buds back. I guess the anitbiotics really do a num,ber on the taste buds. Hope this helps
    Rich
    Hi Rich,
    I too had septoplasty along with turbinate reduction, tonsillectomy, and adenoidectomy. I'm now at 11 weeks and I still can't take some things. I think taste returning depends on what complications you have after surgery. So I think it takes about 4 to 6 months for taste to come back.

Old 04-29-2006, 10:02 PM   #20
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User

Hi Harlee,
    Thanks!! Me too!! I go back to my ENT on Tuesday. I already know he is going to tell me that I still have more healing to do. I know there is still swelling in my mouth because I can't pronounce certain words correctly. Except for vanilla ice cream and vanilla pudding, I didn't even try to eat anything sweet for about 2 months. The first chocolate I had was Dove Dark Chocolate. It took several pieces before I could taste it. It's not as sweet as milk chocolate so that might be a good place to start. As for soda pop, well it has citric acid in it which burns my throat and makes it taste like cardboard. I really miss my naval oranges. Hang in there Harlee, it sounds like you're right on track. It seems like a long time however, it will pass. Fast I hope! Stay well.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:29 AM   #21
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User

Hi Everyone,
    I went to the ENT Tuesday and asked him about why I can taste some foods and why some foods taste like cardboard. He said they stretch your tongue when they do the tonsillectomy and that stretches the nerve in your tongue. It should resolve on its own however it will take time.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:20 PM   #22
    9kids
    (female)

9kids HB User

I'm three weeks past surgery day and had no real complications with my tonsillectomy. But my sense of taste is almost nil. I almost cried after finding this forum. Everyone seems to be having the same problem, with sweets, chocolate and cola's being the worst and no one completely recovering. Does anyone have a happy ending? I'm feeling rather dejected. Also, pain is gone, but swallowing still feels strange. Almost like everything I swallow is a huge uncomfortable lump going down. Will this go away?

Old 11-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #23
    STAGRE

STAGRE HB User

I am 54+ and had my tonsils out in July. Wasn't the greatest experience but not too bad. I was only out of work for a week. I still cannot taste sweets and a few other things. Or rather it not that I can't taste them, it's just that the taste is not very intense. You know how chocolate is when it melts in your mouth I think you would have to eat 2 or 3 pounds of the stuff before you felt like you had that chocolate taste. Almost all sweets are like that for me. There are a lot of other foods that just don't taste right but I can't say they don't have a taste. Some foods leave an awful after taste in the back of my throat also. Of course it doesn't stop me from eating everything. I keep thinking that this time it will taste good. But it doesn't!

Old 11-02-2006, 01:25 AM   #24
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I must be lucky, because I had an extremely sensitive pallet before surgery and have not suffered any extreme loss of taste, post op day 15 now. It may be muted some, but over all I am good... my tongue was swollen for the longest time, and had these funny U shaped clamp bruises on it and hurt like all get out, but loss of taste has not been a factor. I still have swollen taste buds.. and patches were it looks like taste buds have been striped off, but it doesn't seem to have effected me very much... praise be.

Wishing you all the best and a expential recovery curve.
    MG

Old 11-03-2006, 08:32 AM   #25
    9kids
    (female)

9kids HB User

I talked to my doctor this morning. He says pretty much what all the others are saying; that I need to be patient, give it a couple more months, etc. Well, I realize it's only been 3 weeks for me, but I know it'll take longer to get my taste back than that, from what I've been reading. It's all very depressing. He also says that since I have full sense of smell that it shouldn't be so bad since smell makes up for "80% of your taste, anyway." Well, if I can hardly taste ANYTHING, what good is smell? All it does is make me WANT to eat everything and get depressed when it tastes like nothing! I'm worried about weight loss, too, because I don't have much to lose and I certainly don't want to look skeletal! I really don't have much patience with this, so what will I be like if it sticks around for 6 months or more??? Clinically depressed and needing medication??? I love being a happy person, and this is really bringing me down, as you can see.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #26
    Jillolina
    (female)

Jillolina HB User

Today is day 12 for me, and I have also noticed some reduction in taste. I can taste chocolate, but popsicles just feel cold and kind of flavorless (not totally, but mostly) and coffee doesn't taste right either. I guess I haven't had too much time to focus on it so far because I have had some complications (heavy bleeding on day 10 that required re-cauterization). But there is no question that things aren't quite right taste-wise. Fortunately, I'm not that much of an eater of sweets in general, but I DO like my food, and I have been dreaming of lovely things like buttered toast with jam and grilled cheese, and it will be horrible if I can't enjoy them once I am able to actually eat them again I just hope that, with time, the tastebuds will recoup. I've hear it can take weeks to months, but that's better than never, right? Hang in there - I thnk it is the VERY rare person who suffers permanent taste loss from this surgery.

Jillolina

Old 11-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #27
    9kids
    (female)

9kids HB User

Jill, I sure hope you don't end up having any kind of severe taste loss. I only realized for sure that I did on day 21. But you're right, I probably won't lose it forever and I need to keep my chin up! I'm already figuring out some things I can handle eating, such as ramen soup because it's salty, I guess.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:59 AM   #28
    Cyberg
    (male)

Cyberg HB User

I'm 6 weeks post op and looking everywhere for someone to say how they experienced this but it finally went away. From revieweing the clinical literature I could find on-line, there are two kinds of "Taste Disturbance" following tonsillectomies. One is a loss of taste, and the other a distortion of taste.
    I seem to suffer most from the distortion of taste ("dysgeusia" it's called) and frankly it's absolutely awful. Unless the food is very wet or saucy, like soups or stews, the fould taste seems to just well up from the back of my mouth. Bread and cake are about the worst. Crackers, chips, pretzels pretty bad too.

I know this forum is most likely to be read by sufferers and once you get better you stop posting. If you stick with it so will I and eventually somebody starts to get better and gives the rest of us a bit of hope.

signed,

Sick of soup

Old 11-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #29
    9kids
    (female)

9kids HB User

Dear Sick of Soup,

Hi. I've been telling people the same thing. That I sure wish people would write to this forum to let us know if their taste really did come back and how long it took. I, too, could sure use a ray of hope! It's been 5 1/2 weeks for me now and still the taste distortation. It's just so depressing! I'm actually dreading the disappointment of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Nothing tastes very good at all. ALL sweets for me are completely HORRIBLE and inedible. I definately will write to this website to let everyone know if my taste ever returns. Keep me up to date on yours, too, ok?

Old 11-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #30
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Hey All.

Alright guys. I never really lost much in the way of taste. Everything tastes just fine.. and just shy of 5 weeks post operation I am probably operating at 90 % efficiency. I even had to resume my weight watchers so that I could continue to lose weight. Down 17 pounds with another 30 to go. Then I will be at my optimum body weight.

I won't say I am 100% until I can get my sleep routine, back on track. I have sleep apnea and the CPAP isn't quite doing it for me like it should. I have improved due to my surgery, but my sleep apnea is by no means cured. I am guessing with my increased airway capacity that I am needing an increase in my CPAP pressure... waiting to see and get this confirmed by my sleep doctor.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread