It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Loss of Taste After Tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #46
    9kids
    (female)

9kids HB User
    Re: Loss of Taste After Tonsillectomy

I am now four and a half months post-op and can happily say that my taste is improving daily, bit by bit. Many sweets are now pretty good and even the sweets that I still don't enjoy yet are much better than before, so I know that I'll get there. It might take a very long time for full recovery, but just knowing that it will happen makes all this easier to bear. The first few months when there was zilch improvement was SO difficult and I was really beginning to believe that I would have this for life. It was extremely depressing. I'd really like to hear how everyone else out there is doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #47
    Babe70
    (female)

Babe70 HB User

I am one month post op today and it still feels like I have a hairball in my throat! I still have a funny voice (like you do when you have tonsillitis) and swallowing is still a little difficult but everything tastes weird! I had a can of pepsi at the weekend and it tasted so weak (it was regular and not diet). Even my cocoa pops taste bland in the morning!

I guess that it takes some time.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #48
    straightahead51
    (male)

straightahead51 HB User

Hi, I was looking for a post by Pete sent in Oct 24,2005 outlining his tonsillectomy experience and was wondering if you read it. If you can find him he will be the litmus test as to taste coming back after a tonsillectomy.

Anyway 4 months ago I had the tonsillectomy and all of us are not imagining the accompanying loss of taste. I found you post interesting since we both had the surgery around the same time. Your optimistic and I'm getting pessimistic. Pete talks about nerve damage from the surgery, the sheating around the nerves causing our problem. He talks about 6-12 months if it does return. Anyway, I'm getting frustrated with this since I was never informed about it.

I can't seem to taste proteins and marinara sauces. Liquids seem to be fine, coffee, shakes, etc. I've got an appt with my surgeon this Fri. I must say, I'm not sure what to believe, at this point.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Last edited by moderator2; 03-05-2007 at 05:39 PM.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #49
    straightahead51
    (male)

straightahead51 HB User

I feel your frustration. If you like to eat this is pure punishment, pure and simple. Like you, I wasn't informed either. I'm as aggraveted about this as you are. Nobody seems to understand the frustration of losing one of your senses. I'm clueless at this point, 4 months later. Do I have nerve damage from what the the surgeon had done or is this abnormally normal, that is the question.

Well hang in there. You're not imagining anything. This is real and this is what tests your mettle. No pun intended.

Let me know how you do.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #50
    straightahead51
    (male)

straightahead51 HB User

I've sent several posts to others as well on this board and you are describing my condition as well. I had the surgery 4 months ago and everthing is bland It's like tasting monterey jack cheese when you're eating sharp provolone. Like if food were a color they would all be dull not bright and sharp. I'm going this Fri. Maybe I'll ask about steroids that seems to be a fresh idea. As I was pointing out on my other posts, how do we figure out a solution when these doctors are surprised by our condition? What, no one ever came back to them with this issue. Give me a break. They must know something why aren't they leveling with us both before and after the surgery. What are we in the dark ages?

I wish I could laugh about this but somehow it's not so funny.

Regards,
    Tony

Old 03-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #51
    BustersMommie
    (female)

BustersMommie HB User

My taste is almost back to normal, though I'm not craving sweets much at all. I've never been a huge sweets eater, though, so it's not a big deal. I noticed while I was recovering that my normal minty gum tasted like it had been grilled! It was very smoky tasting to me...so needless to say, I've been chewing fruity gum ever since!

Old 04-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #52
    sugarandspice
    (female)

sugarandspice HB User

I seem to have the opposite problem. The ONLY things I can taste normally are sweets. Everything else is very bland, or just tasteless. It really is disheartening. Of course this is only post-op day 4 for me...and my tongue is still VERY painful and swollen, and parts of it are still numb. I think if I had been told that this was a possible side effect, I would have said "no thanks." Eating is so pleasurable to me, I can't imagine never being able to enjoy a good meal again. I can't smell anything either (also had a septorhinoplasty) but I'm hoping that's just because I still have splints in my nose. I will pray to God every day that I gain back all my senses... in more ways that one! A person can lose their mind going through something this traumatic!!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:08 AM   #53
    lilcori
    (female)

lilcori HB User

I am so happy to have found this forum. I am 37 and 10 days post-op from my tonsillectomy. My taste is definately off but I am having another issue and am hoping someone else out there has experienced it as well. I've noticed it about 4 days after my surgery when, as gross as it is, started brushing my teeth again. My gums and tounge were super sensative to my toothbrush, which is fairly soft. It felt (and still feels) like I am using a wire brissle brush and I have actually caused some damage to my upper front gums (I am barely touching them). I also have noticed that certain foods feel like acid on my tounge and roof of my mouth, like lifesavers, pumpkin pie, toothpaste, soy sauce. My gums and roof of my mouth seem very pale. I'm going to start back on vitamins (multi, B and C) and see if that helps. But has anyone else experienced this?

Old 04-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #54
    emersushea
    (female)

emersushea HB User

Have you been drinking enough water or fluids? Pale gums can be a sign of dehydration.

I'm having a tonsillectomy/possible adenoidectomy next Monday. Reading these posts has been a little disconcerting. If I have any addiction, it would be a food addiction and to lose my taste for any period of time is going to be hard. But I guess its better not to taste than not to breathe, as my last episode of tonsillitis forced my tonsils to become so swollen that my throat basically closed up. No fun.

Last edited by emersushea; 04-24-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-27-2007, 08:16 AM   #55
    sugarandspice
    (female)

sugarandspice HB User

It's been almost 4 weeks for me, and MOST of my taste has come back. The sides of my tongue are still a little numb, and that's where I have trouble tasting. Some things just don't taste the same, but thankfully seafood is not one of them. As long as I can still taste my favorite foods, I'm content! Hopefully the rest heals in good time too. Good luck everyone!

Old 04-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #56
    lilcori
    (female)

lilcori HB User

To follow up on my last post. I've been taking my vitamins and the color in my gums and roof of mouth have returned to normal. I started using an extra soft toothbrush which really helped, and now I am back to my normal toothbrush. My tounge is still somewhat tender to it but getting better. As for the acidic reaction I'm guessing the tissues in my mouth just became extremely sensative. It has been 15 days post-op. My tounge feels pretty normal again, taste is back to normal, soy sauce and toothpaste do not sting anymore. I haven't tried lifesavers yet and figure I'll give it another week being citric acid is pretty strong.

I went back to work this past week and due to being a week and a half out I had meeting after meeting after meeting, and all the talking really made my throat and neck sore. I should have taken it a little slower because I think it has slowed my healing a little bit.

With so many people who have had reoccurring sore throats or tonsil infections has anyone been tested for Lemierre's Disease? I saw a Discovery Health program about it and found this great article on it called "Warning over killer throat disease" [url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2240524.stm[/url]

Old 05-11-2007, 02:57 AM   #57
    cyclops87
    (male)

cyclops87 HB User

Hi guys, I'm 20 this year and I'm into my 4th day post op. The tip of my tongue feels numb, and certain sweet foods taste strange to me. I've had vanilla and chocolate ice cream and they didn't taste like they should. But I am already able to eat chicken, tuna and sardines. Just that it hurts quite a lot when I swallow! My doc said that the sooner I start eating solid food instead of soft foods like shakes and drinks it'll heal quicker. I'll update you guys soon. Meanwhile, I wish everyone a speedy recovery and hope you fully rediscover your sense of taste!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #58
    LadyDi400
    (female)

LadyDi400 HB User

Hi Everyone,
    I just joined and I wanted to tell you my story. I elected to have this surgery and was NOT informed of any complications. I know better to ask about problems and all they told me was that at my age I might bleed longer and recovery is longer. I had a tonsillectomy in Sept. of 2005. I had many complications after my surgery with infections and not being able to eat anything hot or cold. The pain I suffered for weeks. Then I was only able to eat liquid foods. I lost 35lbs in a matter of 5 weeks. I couldn't eat anything solid. I would choke and gag. The doctor just kept putting me of different meds. Then I had to get a video swallow study done. They thought I would have to have therapy to re-learn how to eat solids! When I started slowly back on solids foods the food didn't taste the same. When I mention this to the surgeon he said it was because I hadn't eaten solids in a long time and it would come back. Well it didn't come back, I hired a Lawyer to file a Law suit and when I went to his doctor, his findings were that because my nerve wasn't cut there isn't a good case. So Im screwed!! I can taste some sweet and bitter. But nothing else taste good to me. I am an Italian who cooks homemade sauces etc... and now I can't even taste my food!! What kind of life is this!!! So for the next half of my life I won't be able to taste my italian food all because of some doctor and they can get away with this!!! I am so upset over this, so I know how you all feel. Im sorry to tell you all that after almost 2yrs my taste hasn't come back!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrea

Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 PM   #59
    tonsils_out
    (female)

tonsils_out HB User

My tongue is still numb on one side. The side that was 3 times larger than the other. I just had surgery today and I think I might have had a reaction to the anesthesia. I shouldn't still be numb on one side. I do have my taste as I have been eating jello and apple sauce. I feel really bad that you can't taste your pasta. I am a big food lover!

Old 06-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #60
    lady99
    (female)

lady99 HB User

Sorry to hear about your complications Lady Di. And Tonsils Out... keep us posted on how you are doing.

My sense of taste is totally off, but that may partially due to having a septoplasty as well as the tonsillectomy.

I've been a bit disappointed... given the green light to eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I wanted, but it all tastes like fluffy, tasteless, mush - ha! Even a strong flavor like strawberry has no taste. Oh well. Actually, this is day 5 for me, and I find that I prefer eating something luke warm or room temp. The really cold stuff tends to hurt more.

My tongue has been sore only on one side. As it gets time for another dose of pain meds, sometimes my tongue bothers me as much as my throat.

Closed Thread