It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy - Guide for Friends and Family

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2006, 08:23 PM   #151
    kursndax
    (male)

kursndax HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy - Guide for Friends and Family

so the swollen goes down on its own? well thats good, yeah i am starting to really get cranky, nights for me are long and bad, i think in the week i had maybe a few hours of sleep

at first for the first few days i was all happy and in a good mood, now since i am on the end of it, i have been really crabby at nights and thru the day that i just wanna blow stuff up.

i just walk around the house paceing back and forth

i am glad ya'll have been respondng to this message board, it atleast keeps my sanity down. i think i have watched so much tv, played video games and watched movies for a lifetime

i actually went out today an cleaned my car all morning, and i felt wonderfull

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2006, 01:29 AM   #152
    SDKing
    (male)

SDKing HB User

I apparently miscalculated my days. Heh, I thought I was on Day 6, but I went into surgery Thursday morning so technically it is Day 5. So I haven't hit the wall yet that all of you hit with the scabs coming off.

Wow, that makes it more annoying...cuz now it feels bad, and I can't imagine it feeling worse.

kursndax, I had gotten an antiswelling med from my doctor, but he/she may not have given it to you for some special reason. I just finished up my antibiotics (really have only 2 more doses left) and almost finished the antiswelling meds.

Today was a little harder to swallow things, I tried Mashed Potatoes but had to give up 1/4 through it because the discomfort was just that bad. But I sympathsize with everyone about being hungary...cuz i am starvin too.

LorieR, you are really brave to get a TB Bean Burrito, I couldn't even fathom that, but it worries me a tad that you are still feeling icky at Day 12.

Well I am going to ride the tiredness from the pain killer and try to get to sleep now. I'll update tomorrow morning.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:08 AM   #153
    SDKing
    (male)

SDKing HB User
    UGH the pain!

ARGH, I just woke up about three hours later and the pain I am in pretty itense, just like yesterday. How does anyone sleep if you end up waking up with so much pain...

I was able to shallow the tylenol and codeine and am counting down the next 20 minutes before I sink into a blissful existence.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:02 AM   #154
    Bracelet
    Inactive
    (female)

Bracelet HB User
    Re: UGH the pain!

You should definitely be sleeping in a sitting up position as much as possible. It doesn't make the pain go away, but it should help at least a little bit with making it just a little bit less. I slept sitting up for 2 weeks after my operation, and it helped. A little. But at this point in the recovery, every little bit helps.

Use a humidifier as well, because otherwise your air is too dry. And during the day, chew a lot of gum, because it helps your saliva production so you can keep the throat moist.

None of these things will make the pain go away, but it will only make it slightly less intense. I kept telling everyone that my pain was so far off the standard pain scale of 1-10 that there was no number in existance that equalled the pain I was feeling. And they thought I was exaggerating. But anyone who has been through this recovery knows that it's not that much of an exaggeration.

Oh yeah, and for your ears, a warm or even as hot as you can bear compress helps just a little.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #155
    nailbiter03
    (female)

nailbiter03 HB User

Hi all! Today is post op day 9 for me and I am still miserable. . .a real basket case. I cry constantly cause the pain is just too much for me. I had the surgery exactly one week before my 4th year of college started so my experience is made even worse by the 19 credit load that I am taking monday through thursday. :-(

These "scabs" that will supposedly fall off. . .are they the large white patches that I can see in my throat? And will they fall off in on big pieces or just bit by bit? It hurts SO BAD TO SWALLOW! I know I should be drinking, but it is just too painful for me. I had some warm chicken broth last night and it was great. The ear pain is lessening each day but is still very painful. Any suggestions?

If I had known before the surgery how very depressing it would be (I'm crying just writing this), I would have never had it done. The throat infections ever month were now half this bad!!!

Old 08-30-2006, 07:56 AM   #156
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

nailbiter03,
    It will get better and once the scabs have fallen off... yes the white things are scabs.. It normally takes two to three days to complete. It will get better and you will feel human again. Once the scabs are gone you will recover at an amazing rate. Drink small amounts of cold water frequently every 10 - 20 minutes during the day. This will help work those scabs off gently and keep the area moist... thus reducing pain. The more you drink the better, the dry scabs falling off are the most painful. There are octaine (lydocaine ear drops) that are like liquid gold that you can use for ear pain, but I feel you may be through the worst of it and getting them now would be a moot point.
    At 31 with chronic sinusitus and the need to take antibiotics nine months out of the year; I am looking forward to my tonsillectomy, adniodectomy, and endoscopic window insertion (9/5/06). I just had to support my 3 year old through his tonsillectomy and adnoidectomy. I know it is rough, but it will save suffering for many many years to come. My son is like a new person now, and so full of energy. It took ten days total for him to feel like climbing the walls again, and now he has been infection free for three months. I swear he is suffering from doctor withdrawl.. he keeps making up imagenary doctor appointments.

Take it easy and tell your teachers about your current status, they should understand and be willing to work with you. As a college teacher myself, I would.
    Best wishes on a speedy recovery... you are almost there.
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 08-30-2006 at 08:08 AM.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #157
    LorieR
    (female)

LorieR HB User

Note to all:

Its not a good idea to eat taco bell after you haven't eaten much for 12 days...

my intestines are SCREAMING!

I don't know what the heck I was thinking.... oh wait.. I was thinking that I was hungry and that I could eat a soft chewy bean burrito.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #158
    nailbiter03
    (female)

nailbiter03 HB User

Thanks ********,

Your optimism boggles my mind. . .and my sore throat! I am heading out now to try those ear drops as I was miserable in class today.

I am able to see more and more pink showing through the white in my throat so I guess this means the scabs are leaving me. I didn't realize it would be so phlegm-like. Gross, I know. I figured out today that warm tea feels GREAT and seems to do the trick for me.

Best of luck on your own T&A! You're lucky to have found this blog before yours. The helpful information here is limitless!

Old 08-30-2006, 04:24 PM   #159
    SDKing
    (male)

SDKing HB User

Today has been pretty awful for me too. I know it is only Day 6, but my uvulectomy is oozing and so I have been swallowing a blood (Dark so its old) and Mucus mix which has totally upset my stomach.

Doctor told me to gargle ice cold water every 15 - 30 minutes and I can actually notice that the secretions are slowly starting to decrease. She said she thought it was a blood clot from my uvulectomy working loose.

Anyway, right now I am just laying on my couch feeling REALLY nauseas and trying to keep it together and not toss my cookies. She said that would be worse for me because of the strain...

So I am watching cartoon network and trying to think happy thoughts, while laying on the couch.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:53 AM   #160
    LorieR
    (female)

LorieR HB User

Happy thoughts.. I like that.

With an uvulectomy do they remove the whole uvula???

Well today is day 14 and I had my post-op drs appt this morning. He came in and said, "So do you want to get your tonsils out again?"

Hah.

He said I am 80% healed and Im healing nicely..

Back to work tomorrow.. I have no energy today.. I have to eat. Im sticking to soup and crackers.

Lorie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDKing
    Today has been pretty awful for me too. I know it is only Day 6, but my uvulectomy is oozing and so I have been swallowing a blood (Dark so its old) and Mucus mix which has totally upset my stomach.

Doctor told me to gargle ice cold water every 15 - 30 minutes and I can actually notice that the secretions are slowly starting to decrease. She said she thought it was a blood clot from my uvulectomy working loose.

Anyway, right now I am just laying on my couch feeling REALLY nauseas and trying to keep it together and not toss my cookies. She said that would be worse for me because of the strain...

So I am watching cartoon network and trying to think happy thoughts, while laying on the couch.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:56 AM   #161
    SDKing
    (male)

SDKing HB User

Yeah an Uvulectomy is the entire uvula removed. So not only do I have the gunk on the sides (tonsilor bed area) but I have stiches at the top of the month where my uvula used to be. It sucks on so many more levels.

On top of that I have had surgery in my nose, so my deviated septum was fixed (Septoplasty) and I had some inferior turbinate reduction too (sides of the nose that produce mucus). So my nose is pretty yucky...it doesn't hurt but I have bloody mucus stuck up there and I am not allowed to irrigate or blow my nose for 2 weeks. So I am just kind of breathing through one or two nostrils depending on where the gunk moves.

Each morning I wake I dread the pain...but I have to sleep so it is a vicious cycle of pain. I woke today at 5am in pain and took some pain killer...got groggy fell back asleep for 2 hours and work up in pain again.

Does anyone have a plan for this. I thought I read someone say they set an alarm for an hour...go to sleep and wake up for an hour for their pain meds. And repeat very 2 hours or so. Does that sound familiar?

The nasuea ebbs and flows on me, but I was able to get eggs down last night...they went down surprisingly smoothly...just don't over salt them. Or you will be in pain.

LorieR congrats on your PostOp, good to hear you are doing well on Day 14, I am 1/2 way there (Day 7). I hope I can go back to work after labor day weekend...that would be Day 12, because work is starting to get antsy.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:42 PM   #162
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

This is the third time I have posted these tips... so disregard them if you have read them elsewhere. My surgery has been delayed due to insure review, so it will be a little bit longer before I can speak personnally, but this is what I learned from tending my son.

As far as advice:
    My 3 year old son just had his tonsils out. At that age he was only able to cry and beg mommy and daddy to make it stop hurting. He didn't understand "why?". Now he is climbing the walls and more active than ever... not to mention infection free for three months. You know why, you know it is going to be rough and thus you can reason yourself through this... it will be rough, but feeling normal is worth it!
    There were many things that seemed to help my son:
    1) Octaine ear drops (Lydocaine base), they were like liquid gold. He acted normal, would eat and drink until the drops wore off. These were adminstered even in his sleep during the scab peeling stage... which almost made me cry.
    2) Take your pain medicine regularly... set your clock, try not to let it lapse... even after the scabs peel off. You wil regret it if the site dries out while you snore at night.
    3) Frequently take sips of cold/room temperature water during the first 48 hrs, after which you can sip warmer stuff if it is preferrable... keep the surgery site moist... otherwise it will hurt like Hadies when it drys out.
    4) Your sinuses are going to get dry and irritated due to increased air flow, now your tonsils are gone... this will produce excess thick mucus which drops down the back of your throat and hurts like... yep, Hadies again. To avoid/lessen this complication use regular squirts of saline nasal spray to keep you sinuses moist and dilute excess mucus.
    5) You will get weak and slow down the healing process if you don't force yourself to eat/drink. Eating is not always necessary to get nutriuents. My sone was great the day of surgery but began to tapper off on his food intake. I supplemented with protien powder supplemental milk shakes and smoothies. This kept him energized through out the recovery.
    Good luck and best wishes.
    I will add more as it comes to me. Sincerely, MG

Old 08-31-2006, 04:28 PM   #163
    Jezahb
    (female)

Jezahb HB User

I got another question. My uvula is stuck to this cheesy looking greenish-white stuff in the back of my throat. Should I attemt to pick it off? Its uber uncomfortable!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 05:02 PM   #164
    Jezahb
    (female)

Jezahb HB User

BTW...I meant pick the uvula off the cheesy stuff....not pick the cheesy stuff off cause I am sure thats the scabs.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:45 PM   #165
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Try drinking a some water and then gargling gently with some, that might dislodge it gently... otherwise you may have to dislodge it manually. Don't yank! Just try to slowly pull it loose, if it doesn't dislodge easily you may need to check with the surgical on call nurse for advice. I am fairly sure it should come loose with enough applied moisture.
    Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread